Thread: Sketchy Racer, VMCC rd1 2007

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack

Sketchy Racer, VMCC rd1 2007

Sketchy Racer VMCC Round 1

Sorry about the Delay people.

Now I was ‘supposed’ to be riding both 125GP and F3 on the weekend, but as you will find out below, it was not meant to be.

Now this meeting was the first for many things.

-It was the First round of the Vic series, and everyone is pumped (including myself!)
    -It was the first time my RS125 had been ridden since its full engine rebuild.
    -It was the first time I’ve done a full engine rebuild and played around with internal gear ratios.
    -It was the first race meeting on the ZXR400 I was going to be riding.

The trip up was pretty cool. We took the new van up, on its maiden race voyage!

Anywho, we get to the track and setup pits, generally talk shit, and make jokes. (Esp to homos with shiney RS250s…. Slightly jealous…)

Then it becomes time for scrub in.

Scrub in

I have to take it really easy running my new crank in. 1 lap at 7k 1 lap at 8k 1 lap at 9k and so on.
    I notice at first that my Temp is a little low.. Hmm not to worry, im not working the motor at all.

Now here comes the bad part. It seems that even though second gear will engage, if I put any loading at all, I mean any it will pop out, free rev then re-engage. Hmmm bugger. I put something back in the wrong way!
    Now the worse part, After getting all annoyed at the gear issue, I then looked down at my temp to see that it had shot through the roof. Double bugger. I thought that the sealant in-between my cases may have not been up to the task and let go.

Luckily once I got back to the pits, I realized that it was just the drain bolt had rattled loose and filled up my catch bottle for me. Easily fixed.

Now the second gear issue. After talking to some ‘people in the know’ the verdict was that it wasn’t worth trying to fix while at the track, and that I should try racing missing second gear and going straight to third.
    Now how’s and easy way of describing what its like missing a gear on a 125..
    Now think of driving along in a car, in first gear, then putting it in 5th.
    Well maybe not that bad, but you get my point!!
    Oh and all my stuffing around with the water issue and second gear issue, I missed 125 qualifying, so had to start from dead last. Meh its all good.

Now the fun fun part (note sarcasm)

F3 Practice

Not much to write here. I waited for dad to get in from clubmans, Jumped on the bike, headed out onto the track, turn 1, turn 2. Hey where’s my break leaver? Fug it ill still make the turn….
    Hmm. CRASH! I guess not.

(insert bad words here)

It wasn’t a big crash, I slid for a while though, and tried to stand up while still sliding, then did the tumble thing.
    Hurt my left knee a bit grazed up but mostly just bloody painful from the whack.

Bike was ok, and we got it going for dads next race. (cheers Jarrod)

125GP Race

Lets recap.

No second gear
    Qualified last
    Sore knee
    And a wrong mind frame after binning dads bike (totally gutted me)

Anywho.

I’m cruising around in the warm up lap seeing how hard this thing is going to be to ride. Not too bad, but faaaar from easy.

Lined up last on the grid, green flag comes out, 14k on the rev counter, flag goes down. Its boogey time!!
    I got a really really good start, all the way until I had to change to third (from first) and lost it all. Entered turn 1 in last place, but passed about 4 guys around the outside. Hmm. Not bad.
    Then I was following William (Ivan’s little brother) and another guy. They got caught up with each other, so I passed them quite easily. Now I’m up to 4th place. Good good.
    It turns out it was young Kenneth Jones on the vB Yamaha TZ. Ok.
    I followed him around, quite comfortably, then realize, hold up I can go heaps faster than this, so put it up the inside of him at turn 5 on the last lap. Held it to the end quite comfortably, I did almost stuff it though. I backed off before the checkerd flag, and it almost cost me my place.

I know now that I could have gone much much faster, I’m just a bit gutted that I did crash dads bike. It really didn’t help with the whole mind frame for racing.

Anywho. didn’t matter where I finished because the points have been scrapped for that round.

Good good call VMCC! Well done.

See all you nutters at the next round. Remember keep an eye out for the Green RS125 (cant miss it)

-Sketchy Racer

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Quote Originally Posted by RG100!! View Post
    Sketchy Racer VMCC Round 1

Anywho, we get to the track and setup pits, generally talk shit, and make jokes. (Esp to homos with shiney RS250s…. Slightly jealous…)

I blody well resemble that remark young man, ewww, young man!!

Now the second gear issue. After talking to some ‘people in the know’ the verdict was that it wasn’t worth trying to fix while at the track, and that I should try racing missing second gear and going straight to third.
    Now how’s and easy way of describing what its like missing a gear on a 125..
    Now think of driving along in a car, in first gear, then putting it in 5th.
    Well maybe not that bad, but you get my point!!
    Oh and all my stuffing around with the water issue and second gear issue, I missed 125 qualifying, so had to start from dead last. Meh its all good.

Bah!! Just go hard and stop whinging!!!
    Held it to the end quite comfortably, I did almost stuff it though. I backed off before the checkerd flag, and it almost cost me my place.

Keep going ya plonker!!

Pretty sweet deal!! Shows the benefit of Go hard or Go home!!

Sweet

Later

Steve.

-Sketchy Racer
    qwerty124567
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    Sweet Glen,

You rode well,

But you didnt add anythign about our Hydro SLide racing and getting accused of kicking a kid in the head lol
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    I sold it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Sweet Glen,

You rode well,

But you didnt add anythign about our Hydro SLide racing and getting accused of kicking a kid in the head lol

But wait ... theres more he forgot.....

I ran out to the pit gate and pushed his bent friggen bike into his pit and he didnt even give me a kiss or a pat on the bum
    Never mind , he had a sore knee to think about and also "what am i going to tell dad" on his mind.

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    But wait ... theres more he forgot.....

I ran out to the pit gate and pushed his bent friggen bike into his pit and he didnt even give me a kiss or a pat on the bum
    Never mind , he had a sore knee to think about and also "what am i going to tell dad" on his mind.
    Hahaha, Yer you're def right about that "what am i going to tell dad" thing..

I owe ya one for the push mate, what 'one' is i dunno, but i can assure you it aint a pat on the bum, or a kiss

Cheers mate

Bike
    I sold it
    Hahahaha 2 days for that was worth the wait for me anyhow lol.

So coff up ... What did ya say to Dad ?????
    and where did ya hide the brake lever ????

Go on giv uss a kiss ya musshy prick.

Bike
    96 Honda RS125
    haha your report sounds much like most of the race meetings I have (except my bike is a 6 speed :P ) and whenever I go remotely alright the lap scorers seem to forget that I was there and don't even score me at all (must find out who paid them to do that too.....) lol
    good on you for trying, thats what its all about
    PM me or email me at mail@timmcarthur.co.nz for $45 knee sliders incl GST and shipping

Thread Information