Thread: Cable lubing

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPX-250

Cable lubing

Hi all,

Having just snapped a clutch cable, I learnt very quickly that you need to lubricate your cables. The clutch cable got lubed by Trevor Pierce when they repaired it, but I've got a choke and two throttle cables need doing also.

If it's doable, how would I go about lubing them myself?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Bike
    '87 GSX750SF Katana, 08 Cagiva Raptor
    Like you I learnt the hard way to lube cables.

You only need to lube the clutch cable around the end (near the leaver) it always snaps in this position acording to my Dad. Basically the reason why it snaps is because the nipple on the end of the cable cant rotate freely when the lever is pulled in hence the cable rubs and frays and then its all over.

How often do you use the choke? Remember that it doesnt get used a quarter of the amount that the clutch gets used so it may not be necessary. If you do lube it though, it will probably only need lubing near the lever. Just lube it with grease.

Take the leaver off, lube the nipple and as much of the cable as you can and then put back together. Its a piece of piss.

Dont know about the throttle cable though. Ive never done that. Just make sure there arnt any sharp kinks in it. Someone else can probably tell you more than me though.

Bike
    BSA A10
    you can buy a tool for lubing cables http://store.uncommonmotorcycles.com/cableluber.html
    you can buy similar tools at most bike shops

You have to undo the cable at one end to attach the tool and lube them

You can use WD40 or CRC or similar products,the benifts if you lube the cables are they'll last longer and feel better
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    heya man,I just did mine the other day.all I did was put the the small tube thing that comes with crc on the nozzle and then sprayed it down the line,let it all run down and did it again until it came out the other end.amazing the difference in the effort of pull,it needs fck all now.not sure on lubing the throttle though.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Little tip.....

Lube your nipples as described above... A dab of grease does wonders.. You don't normally have to lube teflon lined cables - tends to ruin them.

You DO need to lube ordinary ones BUT don't use WD40 or CRC - both of these are kerosene based (well WD40 is) and the solvent evaporates quickly leaving you (in some cases) worse off. Back in the day - we would use a 'light oil' like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil but now I go to supercheap and get a squirt can of Lanosol (or any of the lanolin based lubricants) as i find it does not disappear as quickly.

The trusted bowden cable needs to be maintained and replaced when worn! Rubbed through outer covers and frayed wires = replacement time!!

Cheers

Bike
    1987 Kawasaki GPX-250
    Hmmm, how would I know if I have teflon lined cables?

Thanks for the hints guys. Was an embarrassing lesson to learn >_< - riding down the middle of Marshlands Road in rush hour. As a bonus though, I learnt that you can change gears without a clutch.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    White plasic lining inside the wire wound outer.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Small plastic bag filled with oil, taped to outer of cable, suspended from something. Leave for 15 minutes and you're done. I do like the lubers that Kickaha linked to, work well with chain lube.

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Will any old automotive grease do the trick?

Or is there a need for something more specific?

Another thing, I wonder what's the best thing to stop further rust and corrosion on paint work and nuts/bolts/washer?

Bike
    a blue one
    Bicycle chain oil does a good job on cables too

Bike
    XJR
    Did mine when I fitted new throttle cables a few weeks ago.
    Plastic bag tyrapped to the top end, hang, fill with engine oil, and when it drips out of the bottom, remove bag, and leave to drip drain the excess.
    Smooth as now.

Thread Information