Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The CR saga for me continues...engine frozen

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Before you strip the power valve out I've had a thought(oohh the pain)!!

You keep saying you have only riden it for 30 mins. Does that means the guy you bought it off or his mechanic has screwwed up the installation of the power valve and assembly.
    Maybe you could call him up and say you'd only ridden it for 10mins and it shit itself. You have pics to support this and it is not a failure caused by you. If he is willing to pay for a new piston kit you are willing to do the rest. If he does this you won't take it any further!!!

As I see it unless you signed to say you bought it "as is where is" he is the one that screwed up the engine
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Before you strip the power valve out I've had a thought(oohh the pain)!!

You keep saying you have only riden it for 30 mins. Does that means the guy you bought it off or his mechanic has screwwed up the installation of the power valve and assembly.
    Maybe you could call him up and say you'd only ridden it for 10mins and it shit itself. You have pics to support this and it is not a failure caused by you. If he is willing to pay for a new piston kit you are willing to do the rest. If he does this you won't take it any further!!!

As I see it unless you signed to say you bought it "as is where is" he is the one that screwed up the engine
    My brother mentioned that to me.

It was purchased as is (doh) but seeing as he has stated its in good condition within the advert it voids that statement, also there is no longer a "as is where is" type sale anymore under the new gouverment regulations in 2003. This tells the story.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/c...privately.html

Can you tell I'm looking into that as a last resort? I kinda think its a bit stink it blew on the first ride, if it was the 2nd ride I wouldn't even think of it...just smells of a lemon when it brakes straight away. Hell I'd be happy to just go halfs in the parts...that way I could at least get funds for the rest.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    Dude! Snap out of it and get your priorities sorted! Just drop of a couple from the guest list. It aint going to be that expensive to fix!
    Aint that the truth

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Funny thing is...he told me about a RM250 he sold (this is after I bought the bike) it blew up not long after the sale (can't remember the exact details) and the person sued him and got all his money back (hense the as is sale).

Bit of a shame for him that as I understand it "as is where is" is not even worth the paper its written on.

Still have to figure out if I want to be one of those people, I'd hate it if someone came back on a sale afterwards...but then I keep reminding myself that it only lasted for a very short time (hell...not even sure if it was even 30mins. I rode it quickly, then 2 other mates rode it qucikly to try it out...next start and boom!!)

EDIT: Just found out for sure, selling a vehicle (or anything) "as is where is" is actually illegal (I just thought it didn't mean anything) and carries a maximum of $60,000 per offence for a person and $200,000 fine for businesses.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by -df- View Post
    Funny thing is...he told me about a RM250 he sold (this is after I bought the bike) it blew up not long after the sale (can't remember the exact details) and the person sued him and got all his money back (hense the as is sale).
    So given the above! Isn't it worth a phone call, while your money is still hot in his pocket. If you go for the deal I suggested all he has to do is go down the local Honda shop and pick you up a piston kit. And you won't put him through the hassle above.

Mind you I would check to see if the barrell is ok before committing to just a piston kit.

One phone call and he is already admitted he knows you can win!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    So given the above! Isn't it worth a phone call, while your money is still hot in his pocket. If you go for the deal I suggested all he has to do is go down the local Honda shop and pick you up a piston kit. And you won't put him through the hassle above.

Mind you I would check to see if the barrell is ok before committing to just a piston kit.

One phone call and he is already admitted he knows you can win!
    Already phoned him, decided I had to...just got his answering machine so left a message. See what he says when he phones me back.

Looking at it, it requires a piston kit, cylinder sleeve, power valve. I think the parts would cost around $500 all up with the sleeve installed. That sound about right?

Bike
    08 RMZ250
    i would say more then that, its a few hundred bucks to get the barrel re sleaved, your looking at about 250 for piston kit, and gaskets. then add another hunderd or so to get the power value fixed up.

Bike
    CR250
    I got a new barrel from ebay for $200 - 300 delivered. I can;t remmeber what I paid now.

Bike
    CR250
    piston kit $56 usd http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...21725394QQrdZ1

I can't find a cylinder on eBay. TRy econohonda, but you'd be best just ger your one sleeved. I'd say though that you could probably port your one and it will be fine.

That guy fucked up the power valve though by the look of it.

Bike
    RMZ 250
    found this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

how much to get installed? just needs to be pressed out and this one pressed in I presume.

Bike
    RMZ 250
    ok...has anyone done this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cr250...72990539QQrdZ1

295cc big bore kit, Its for a 91 but should be able to get one for mine. Doesn't seem like it would cost much more as I have to replace all those bits anyway.

Would be fun.

Bike
    CR250
    I'd just gte it working properly before getting a big bore and putting all that extra pressure on all the gearbox and the rest of it.

There is a place in Wnaganui that quoted me around $200 to fit a sleeve. I even think that they made them.

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Yeah, I was more meaning if I have to wait until after the wedding.

Damn thats more expensive then I thought it would be to fit a sleeve.

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    we have an engineer we use who i think did a tt600 one for me for around $150

Bike
    If you get a sleeve don't you go away from having a Nikasil bore back to a steel bore. I don't think that would be the best.
    Also I'd get the one he has sussed first a bit of tidying up might do the trick. Havn't seen it in real life but it didn't seem to bad.

Damn those pistons etc are cheap. Just Pistons 4 my CR125 $97-00 and the 250 $140-00 plus rings, pin etc etc. getting a price from Ecohonda now as well. Weisco piton kit for the KX85 $180-00. BY the time you apply the exchange, freight and the "no refund if its wrong thing" is it still worth it though?? The problem with the usa is getting them to ship to NZ.

Thread Information