Page 11 of 215 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    (sold)Suzuki DR 650se
    Quote Originally Posted by Denniso View Post
    Yes I know I'm preaching to the converted but yesterday while out on one of the local gravel roads met a milk tanker half way round a blind left hander ( was expecting it as it was that time of day so was staying well left ) the tankers fair fly on the gravel so throw a hell of a lot of dust up , as a result I could'nt see a dam thing , ended up in the ditch as the corner tightend up and I couldn't see jack . My point is that for the second time I picked up the bike and ride off , if that had been my SV or GSXR I'd have been looking for some more bodywork and paint , DR's are too much fun not to have
    +1 did half a bike's worth of damage on my cagiva canyon 500 back in NL just before i left to kiwiland... this was one of the most important reasons i got the Dr.

Bike
    (sold)Suzuki DR 650se
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzit View Post
    What I would like to know, is generally ... how many K's are people getting to a litre ... with normal riding (i.e. some hooning some slower cruising or commuting stuff) ?? I got 169K's until I had to switch to reserve from a full tank on Saturday ..... going down to Auckland .... lets say .... "quickly" !!
    I'm just not sure what to expect for gas milage on the DR ... I do know that I'm looking forward to the IMS tank arriving !!
    I'm gettin about 18- 20 km/L 18doing iligall stuff around town and about 20 on longer distance stuff. bikes pretty standart snorkelectomie headerweldgrind

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike

Low speed missfire

Bored and it's wet so here I am wasting time on the internet. After levels my bike developed a low speed missfire. Put up with it for a week but decided to get some plugs. Bought the plugs and the missfire has gone. Well thats quite funny coz the missfire dissapeared as soon as I bought the plugs, even though I haven't actually fitted them yet! They are still in my pocket, spooky eh!

Just a tip most of you probably already know that I picked up from last time I did plugs. I scraped a piece of wire around the plug before I pull it out and flick - out comes a big piece of grit. That wouldn't have been nice dropping into the head I thought. Just before I ripped them out I had the clever idea to stick the vacume cleaner end over the plug and sure enough rattle rattle - another decent sized stone the wire trick had missed. So remember to check you don't have anything sitting there ready to drop when the plug is pulled out.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Gave the carb a clean and drilled the second hole in the slide today while I wait for my motor to come back from the surgeons. Also made a bit of a discovery - the breather and its filter (sits ontop and to the front left of the air box - obvious with the seat of) for the carbie is really important. We should be making a point of cleaning it each time we clean the main air filter.

In the top of my carbie under the diaphragm there was a reasonable amount of grit and a peice of the old filter. While it is unlikely that the filter would have been ingested but the engine there is every chance that the grit could be but the motor.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by talbertnz View Post
    I'm gettin about 18- 20 km/L 18doing iligall stuff around town and about 20 on longer distance stuff. bikes pretty standart snorkelectomie headerweldgrind
    Well I got my IMS tank installed before heading down to Tauranga via Waihi on Thursday. I got 322 K's before switching on to reserve, and stopped at KatiKati to fill up. It looked like I still had the best part of a couple of litres left in the tank, so may have got to Tauranga on the one tank .... but didn't want to chance it !!
    Coming home today, I filled up before leaving Tauranga, went back up the same way, except I turned back onto highway 25 instead of heading for the Hamilton/Auckland highway. I then turned off 25, and went up to Auckland via Miranda, Kaiaua, Clevedon, Papakura, and onto the motorway ....
    I had to switch onto reserve half way between Wellsford and Kaiwaka, and stopped and gassed up at Kaiwaka. I put just over 16 litres in the tank then to fill it right up again.
    I'm just guessing, .... as I'm not exactly certain what the capacity of my IMS tank is, but think I have been getting a bit over 19 to 20 K's per litre. Thats pretty good in my book. I certainly appreciate the IMS and not having to stop so often!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    In the top of my carbie under the diaphragm there was a reasonable amount of grit and a peice of the old filter. While it is unlikely that the filter would have been ingested but the engine there is every chance that the grit could be but the motor.
    Stick it on the 125 in the meantime.
    Should put out the same power as a 100cc then

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Changed the front sprocket to a 14 tooth.
    So the difference in gearing appears from seat of the pants..
    No great noticable difference in acceleration at low speed, not noticable but may be measurable as you would expect there to be some increase.
    100kph in top gear is much smoother and doesn't require change down for hills or passing like I used to.
    110kph - 120kph - slight vibration at this speed that could get annoyng.
    50kph -lugs along nicely in 4th - where it used to be a bit too slow for 4th but not really comfortable in 3rd.
    Wow .... you can do 50kph in 4th ?? At 50kph I am in between 2nd, and struggling to stay in 3rd as it is boardering on labouring and chugging to much !!
    I'm looking at going to a 14 tooth when I'm fully run in. So far I have just under 1600K on her which isn't bad for the short time i have had it!! I'm bloody impressed with it !!!

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Wow .... you can do 50kph in 4th ?? At 50kph I am in between 2nd, and struggling to stay in 3rd as it is boardering on labouring and chugging to much !!
    I'm looking at going to a 14 tooth when I'm fully run in. So far I have just under 1600K on her which isn't bad for the short time i have had it!! I'm bloody impressed with it !!!
    I can't imagine the DR with a smaller front spocket (here anyway) It seems fairly smooth around 100 kmh,better at 110 and humming along at 120 (open road limit 130 here) (Most of the trails are fairly open so 1st is still usable)

I was out again early for a blat (300kms)
    Still need to get a bigger fuel tank.
    At this stage a DR will be on the cards once back in NZ

Bike
    I get up to 50 in 3rd and can hold 4th at that speed which is not a lot above idle though.
    With a 15 tooth sprocket it hits the rev limit at 100k in 2nd so it will stop at 93 with a 14 tooth on, so I am waiting to check what difference this makes to my speed on the kart track. Up till now I was letting it rev to the limit and using 2nd gear on the whole track. It was fair doing its nut by the end of the straights though. Now I will have to make 2 up changes and 2 downshifts per lap, even then it will be about half the changes the guys on the KTM's make.
    I like the 14 tooth for general riding and think I will keep it. Did a road trip with a 600 sportsbike up Middlemarch - Mcraes - Dunback - Palmerston - Dunedin last weekend and found it good for ummm higher speeds but much better than the 15 tooth for doing legal speeds comfortably as it used to lug at 100k in 5th.
    As a matter of interest can you let us know how your bike improves as it loosens up seeing as you seem to be keeping a record of things. I am a poor sod who had to buy 2nd hand.

Bike

gearing ratios - speeds

Just been talking to a workmate who rode out to see me motarding one day and promptly went out and bought a DRZ!!! He he! He was working out the gearing he needed for Teretonga later this month and put me onto this site.
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/
    Select you bike and gears and see what the speed is in each gear. Or enter your custom set up and it works it for you.

Note that the DR650 default maximum RPM is set to 6500 - it should be 7800 if you rev to the limit.
    Ideally if you could get a dyno chart and work out each speed so when you change it would drop you down to where the torque and horsepower lines cross, hmmmm!!! Maybe I wont need to get a tacho - just remember or mark the speedo where the best speed is to change each gear.

EDIT: I just realised that I am also using oversized (140/90- 17)tyre so entered that into the calculation and it increased the theoratical top speed by 10Kph! Does that seem right to you guys???

Bike
    None for now
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Just been talking to a workmate who rode out to see me motarding one day and promptly went out and bought a DRZ!!! He he! He was working out the gearing he needed for Teretonga later this month and put me onto this site.
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/
    Select you bike and gears and see what the speed is in each gear. Or enter your custom set up and it works it for you.

Note that the DR650 default maximum RPM is set to 6500 - it should be 7800 if you rev to the limit.
    Ideally if you could get a dyno chart and work out each speed so when you change it would drop you down to where the torque and horsepower lines cross, hmmmm!!! Maybe I wont need to get a tacho - just remember or mark the speedo where the best speed is to change each gear.

EDIT: I just realised that I am also using oversized (140/90- 17)tyre so entered that into the calculation and it increased the theoratical top speed by 10Kph! Does that seem right to you guys???
    I got highly confused by that site when I was setting up my Trail Tech Vapor.
    Did the rolling dia for the front wheel,put that in and was stumped as to why it was reading about xyzkm/h out according to that site.Then I realised it's giving you rear wheel speed
    Nevermind the Bollocks

Bike
    black and blue
    Well I got my IMS tank installed before heading down to Tauranga via Waihi on Thursday...
    And we're STILL waiting for closeups of your slick new seat! chop! chop!...
    "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650

Ok .........

Quote Originally Posted by twotyred View Post
    And we're STILL waiting for closeups of your slick new seat! chop! chop!...
    my wife took these photos on her camera just after I got back home from Tauranga last Saturday.
    New IMS tank, skid plate on, and new Rider seat from McDonald Motor Trimmers, Glasgow Street, Tauranga .. (Thanks Mac)

I'm really pleased with the seat. I asked to have it look very much like the standard seat, but with more width as it goes back for passenger comfort as well as rider comfort. It is also a little thicker for the passenger. It works very well while retaining the original style. the new foam makes a LOT of difference. I'm very pleased with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me n DR650SE.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	91429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rider Seat from rear.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	91430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left view of DR650SE new tank.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	91431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rider seat side front.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	91432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rider seat 1.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	91433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rider seat side.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	91434  

Bike
    black and blue
    looks very nice!. Also like the change to white sidepanels to match the tank
    "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by twotyred View Post
    looks very nice!. Also like the change to white sidepanels to match the tank
    AAAhhhhh but for how long will it stay pretty white then??? Its not an adventure bike till its covered in mud or dust or s%#t!
    So what plans have you to rectify the matter - DR honour is at stake!!!

Thread Information