Page 160 of 215 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Cheers Eddie, I will just hold off on that for now, Thanks for the help anyway. The previous stand was shortened by the previous owner and it was a pain to park sometimes cos it was a bit too long so I think the genuine shorty may have been a bit shorter. Nordie has a point, certainly very stable the way it is now. I have always hopped on by standing on the L/H peg and swinging over, makes life easy with the saddle bags on. I might just use this as an excuse to weld a bigger plate on the end for softer ground and that will lift it slightly.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    BMW GS
    Hello, after major thinking and pondering I decided to keep the old DR and attempt a full tear down/rebuild/improvement of my 1991 Dr650RSE.

I almost finish to take the whole thing apart but have a couple of problems...
    How do I take the bearings out?
    And I just can't figure out how to take this bolt out from the swing arm to the wishbone. It turns and it spins but doesn't unbolt, there is no bolt on the other side to hold it.

Should I use an hammer? ... Just curios if anybody here have any idea... Thanks
    Last edited by Jantar; 12th October 2013 at 20:33. Reason: Oversize embedded image deleted
    "Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    probably the inner race of the needle bearing has corroded to the bolt shaft. Violence may be the answer. Support the frame round the outside of the bolt head, attack from the other end of the bolt with a decent size hammer

(disclaimer - I ride a KLR. This is how most things are fixed)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE
    I used a grinder to get mine off. This was on a KDX200. The bolt/shaft, bearings and bush had basically cold welded itself into one huge mass.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk now Free
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1381566208372.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	288475  
    You're gonna fly away, glad you're going my way. I love it when we're cruisin together
    Me and you Ropata, me and you...yeah baby!

Bike
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE
    Grinding in action

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk now Free

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1381566274549.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	288476  
    You're gonna fly away, glad you're going my way. I love it when we're cruisin together
    Me and you Ropata, me and you...yeah baby!

Bike
    BMW GS
    Thanks ill try and attack with grinder and hammer, than I was thinking to take the frame, swing arm and forks to get sandblasted and powder coated.
    Only superficial rust in there but I'd like to have them all clean and painted for bike reassembly... Bad idea ? Should I just wire brush and spray paint?

Bike
    2007 DR650
    Getting the frame done is probably a good idea, but the forks and swinging arm shouldn't be done. Maybe soda blasted and anodised if you're keen, otherwise a good clean should be fine. Don't forget to mask up all the threaded parts of the frame before plastic coating. Internal and external threads, every last one, unless you enjoy spending hours with a tap and die cleaning up the threads...

Bike
    BMW GS
    I did it... I grind the sh!t out of it in the middle of the bolt! wishbone is now free from swing arm.
    Head of bolt still stuck in swing arm tho so will have to drill it out I guess.

So better don't powder coat swing arm? I did read it somewhere else as well but I wonder why?
    Tonight I tried to take the wheels apart but the ex bolts that hold the disk are well stuck, trying again tomorrow otherwise I'll grind those too... The spokes need to changed anyway.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	463.4 KB 
ID:	288558   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	21 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	288559  

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by pisTamunno View Post
    I did it... I grind the sh!t out of it in the middle of the bolt! wishbone is now free from swing arm.
    Head of bolt still stuck in swing arm tho so will have to drill it out I guess.

So better don't powder coat swing arm? I did read it somewhere else as well but I wonder why?
    Tonight I tried to take the wheels apart but the ex bolts that hold the disk are well stuck, trying again tomorrow otherwise I'll grind those too... The spokes need to changed anyway.
    Disc bolts will have loctite on the threads warm the bolts with a hot air gun to loosen the loctite and they should come out, like most seized things a bit of heat saves a lot of grinding.

Bike
    BMW GS
    Heat gun at work... Success disks are off.

Thanks for the tip.

Next I started disassembling the brake callipers... Lots of rust, mmm will look at options for some aftermarket ones or wire brush and paint them.

Also funny thing when I opened the rear callipers both the rubber pistons where missing!!

I still have to buy a bearing puller, any suggestions ? I went to supercheap they had those 2legged ones for about 40 dollars each size, or do I want something like that... http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id197.html

Next thing to do on the list.... Take spokes apart, repaint hubs, look at the forks...

Views:	19 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	288606   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	22 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	288607   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	20 
Size:	478.8 KB 
ID:	288608  

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by pisTamunno View Post
    Heat gun at work... Success disks are off.

Thanks for the tip.

Next I started disassembling the brake callipers... Lots of rust, mmm will look at options for some aftermarket ones or wire brush and paint them.

Also funny thing when I opened the rear callipers both the rubber pistons where missing!!

I still have to buy a bearing puller, any suggestions ? I went to supercheap they had those 2legged ones for about 40 dollars each size, or do I want something like that... http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id197.html

Next thing to do on the list.... Take spokes apart, repaint hubs, look at the forks...
    Whats the bearing puller for ?? if its wheel bearings they should tap out easily with a long punch. (tool that is)

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Whats the bearing puller for ?? if its wheel bearings they should tap out easily with a long punch. (tool that is)
    i just use a 10mm bit of rod with a hammer, catch an edge and tap around even .
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    Thanks Dino, Bid placed
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    2007 DR650
    If you win, I'll take the steering damper off your hands....
    Just what my BMW k100 race bike project needs.

Thread Information