Page 208 of 215 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    Dr350
    Check out
    https://adventurebikeaustralia.com.a...ct/choke-knob/

$24.95 Australian plus a little bit of shipping. I've used them before and they are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Hey guys,

My choke cable has seized, which seems to be common on the dr650. I was hoping I might be able to remove the cable from the bike and repair it, unfortunately I couldn't get it off without cutting it at the top where it connects to the choke lever, not to mention how it snapped when I tried to pull it out.

So anyway I'm considering getting a knob choke to replace the choke cable with. I have looked at the Procycle website but have decided I don't want to pay $50us for the $17 choke.

Does anyone know if you can pick up something in NZ that will work?

Or alternatively has anyone made their own choke knob? Some guy has posted a video on youtube on how to make one and I might give it a go to cut costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Bi4YWTaqQ

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by Addo007 View Post
    Check out
    https://adventurebikeaustralia.com.a...ct/choke-knob/

$24.95 Australian plus a little bit of shipping. I've used them before and they are really good.
    Sounds a good alternative source - I bought mine from Pro Cycle along with other items some years ago
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    2007 suzuki drz250
    Hey guys,

My choke cable has seized, which seems to be common on the dr650. I was hoping I might be able to remove the cable from the bike and repair it, unfortunately I couldn't get it off without cutting it at the top where it connects to the choke lever, not to mention how it snapped when I tried to pull it out.

So anyway I'm considering getting a knob choke to replace the choke cable with. I have looked at the Procycle website but have decided I don't want to pay $50us for the $17 choke.

Does anyone know if you can pick up something in NZ that will work?

Or alternatively has anyone made their own choke knob? Some guy has posted a video on youtube on how to make one and I might give it a go to cut costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Bi4YWTaqQ
    I just picked up an old Mikuni carb for $10 and removed the short choke knob off it, remove my cable one off my carb and screwed the short one on my carb, 15 minute job and no need to remove carb.

Bike
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwibul View Post
    I just picked up an old Mikuni carb for $10 and removed the short choke knob off it, remove my cable one off my carb and screwed the short one on my carb, 15 minute job and no need to remove carb.
    Thats a pretty good idea. Did you find the old Mikuni carb on trademe or from a wrecker?

I might have a quick look around for an old Mikuni carb and if I cant find one I will just order a hand choke from adventurebikeaustralia.com.au which works out to be a bit cheaper than procycle - especially with shipping.

Most of the US suppliers like Procycle either don't ship internationally or charge an arm and a leg for shipping. It might actually be cheaper to use NZposts 'YouShop' service and get your order shipped to the YouShop warehouse in the states and then get it shipped to NZ. Doing it this way can be cheaper than getting Procycle to ship it directly, but you have to be careful to work out how much the order will weigh and whether it will be worthwhile using the YouShop service. I was considering doing this but the Australian distributor is probably going to work out cheaper with the exchange rates and all.

I was going to order a hand choke from Kientech as well using the before mention service since they dont ship itnernationally but it would of costed about $50. I think their choke is a bit longer and easier to use and also you don't have to grind down the idle stop on the throttle.

Thanks for the advice guys

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    My Flatslide came with hand choke as think i had to remove it to connect the standard cable jobbie to it.
    Mines gotten tight at times but nothign a bit of teflon or wd40 hasnt fixed.
    BTW the hand choke ones are inaccesible i think if you have the bigger fuel tank fitted, but i might be wrong.
    Must get around to flicking off my original carb and othe rbits....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140726_0511hh.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	327599  
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2007 suzuki drz250
    Thats a pretty good idea. Did you find the old Mikuni carb on trademe or from a wrecker?

I might have a quick look around for an old Mikuni carb and if I cant find one I will just order a hand choke from adventurebikeaustralia.com.au which works out to be a bit cheaper than procycle - especially with shipping.

Most of the US suppliers like Procycle either don't ship internationally or charge an arm and a leg for shipping. It might actually be cheaper to use NZposts 'YouShop' service and get your order shipped to the YouShop warehouse in the states and then get it shipped to NZ. Doing it this way can be cheaper than getting Procycle to ship it directly, but you have to be careful to work out how much the order will weigh and whether it will be worthwhile using the YouShop service. I was considering doing this but the Australian distributor is probably going to work out cheaper with the exchange rates and all.

I was going to order a hand choke from Kientech as well using the before mention service since they dont ship itnernationally but it would of costed about $50. I think their choke is a bit longer and easier to use and also you don't have to grind down the idle stop on the throttle.

Thanks for the advice guys
    got the mikuni off a mate, it came off an old dr250, not the easiest to operate but once you know were to place your fingers to operate it, easy as, and you only need to use it once or twice a day.

Bike
    Ktm sd gt

Dr650 carb

I am trying to get an old dr650 running/correctly for a friend who has less idea than I do.its an old bike of there deceased father so I offered to help....kinda regretting it now.
    I know this may have been covered already as I have been reading as much as I can about these bikes and the carbs seem to be well covers but I just can't seem to get the thing running smoothly if at all. Does seem to start easier when cold and then just gets worse to not starting.

It's been stood for ages and the story is it was well looked after but who knows really.
    When it's running it does rev out hard and even idled for a bit but overall is a non runner and stall farts and feels like fuel issue/ starvation.
    No real smoke and the exhaust is exhausting so not blocked...

So I've had the carb apart cleaned all the jets needle looks good, diaphragm etc look ok, float level set to a setting found on a thread. I have tried lifting the needle to riches the mixture and faffed with the choke.....

I have the fuel tap set to prime so should be getting all the fuel it needs to the carb.

I'm just out of ideas that cost no money, I would chuck on another carb to try if I could find one.

Any of you guys got any ideas or had similar probs, the carb seems the bikes weakest link but maybe I'm missing the obvious

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by v twin View Post
    I am trying to get an old dr650 running/correctly for a friend who has less idea than I do.its an old bike of there deceased father so I offered to help....kinda regretting it now.
    I know this may have been covered already as I have been reading as much as I can about these bikes and the carbs seem to be well covers but I just can't seem to get the thing running smoothly if at all. Does seem to start easier when cold and then just gets worse to not starting.

It's been stood for ages and the story is it was well looked after but who knows really.
    When it's running it does rev out hard and even idled for a bit but overall is a non runner and stall farts and feels like fuel issue/ starvation.
    No real smoke and the exhaust is exhausting so not blocked...

So I've had the carb apart cleaned all the jets needle looks good, diaphragm etc look ok, float level set to a setting found on a thread. I have tried lifting the needle to riches the mixture and faffed with the choke.....

I have the fuel tap set to prime so should be getting all the fuel it needs to the carb.

I'm just out of ideas that cost no money, I would chuck on another carb to try if I could find one.

Any of you guys got any ideas or had similar probs, the carb seems the bikes weakest link but maybe I'm missing the obvious
    Tried a clean air filter? Battery/Charging? Found the standard CV carb very intolerant of stale fuel before I put a flatslide in.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Tried a clean air filter? Battery/Charging? Found the standard CV carb very intolerant of stale fuel before I put a flatslide in.
    Yeah changed fuel before I even started, pulled the air filter and is charging. I have got it idling hot off choke now near an acceptable idle speed. I would say the mixture screw is out 4 turns and idle is jacked on the throttle a bit I'd say, but it is running.
    Bogs a bit on hard opening but has no acc pump so could be normal and holds the revs way too long after shut off...never ridden one so not sure but not normal I'd say.
    Fueling just seems a bit changeable and since I just had a blast around the garden in 1st and a bit of 2nd seems very soft compared to the rotax I used to use.
    Motor sounds good though, and a nice riding position so bike has potential.
    If it was my bike I'd just buy a carb unit but reluctant to tell my friend it needs a carb and it's not....
    Prices look to be high, think I saw a used one from the states. $500 by the time it got here

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Yeah changed fuel before I even started, pulled the air filter and is charging. I have got it idling hot off choke now near an acceptable idle speed. I would say the mixture screw is out 4 turns and idle is jacked on the throttle a bit I'd say, but it is running.
    Bogs a bit on hard opening but has no acc pump so could be normal and holds the revs way too long after shut off...never ridden one so not sure but not normal I'd say.
    Fueling just seems a bit changeable and since I just had a blast around the garden in 1st and a bit of 2nd seems very soft compared to the rotax I used to use.
    Motor sounds good though, and a nice riding position so bike has potential.
    If it was my bike I'd just buy a carb unit but reluctant to tell my friend it needs a carb and it's not....
    Prices look to be high, think I saw a used one from the states. $500 by the time it got here
    Amongst other thing, check the sealing between the carb and block. Spray some engine start or something similar on the rubber while idling, if the engine speed rises you have an air leak on the engine side of the carb.

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Have you checked the inline fuel filter?
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    Amongst other thing, check the sealing between the carb and block. Spray some engine start or something similar on the rubber while idling, if the engine speed rises you have an air leak on the engine side of the carb.
    Yip sprayed brake cleaner around but no noticeable difference and pulled the carb about to see if the flange was perished....it was screaming air leak but unless there's something not standard I don't know about?? The 2 big strip and cleans have improved things but I'm still not convinced yet

[QUOTE=Waipukbiker;1131022345]Have you checked the inline fuel filter?[/QUOTE

Yip pulled that little bugger out, was clean but left it out for now.

Thanks for the replies so far, allgood to get the brain pumping even if the carb isn't...
    The needle looked quite good if not newish. I'm a bit suspicious that the old guy may have had an issues before he moved on

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Yip sprayed brake cleaner around but no noticeable difference and pulled the carb about to see if the flange was perished....it was screaming air leak but unless there's something not standard I don't know about?? The 2 big strip and cleans have improved things but I'm still not convinced yet
    Choice, it sprung to mind as my younger brother visiting for Christmas came very close to seizing my 2T.

I went to go for a ride and it didn't feel right, then I saw almost no smoke and it was still cold. I shut it down and found this

Then I found he'd been riding it (with permission) for about 45 Min the day before and said he'd noticed it holding revs after shutting the throttle etc but forgot to tell me and just carried on anyway...

Lucky I run it super safe on the mix side. Piston is only 2 hours old.

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    Choice, it sprung to mind as my younger brother visiting for Christmas came very close to seizing my 2T.

I went to go for a ride and it didn't feel right, then I saw almost no smoke and it was still cold. I shut it down and found this

Then I found he'd been riding it (with permission) for about 45 Min the day before and said he'd noticed it holding revs after shutting the throttle etc but forgot to tell me and just carried on anyway...

Lucky I run it super safe on the mix side. Piston is only 2 hours old.
    Woah lucky mate, the simplest of things can ruin yr day ae. Yeah I'd have put $$ on it being air from somewhere..... I'll look tomorrow now, I have a box of Waikato to work on

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Woah lucky mate, the simplest of things can ruin yr day ae. Yeah I'd have put $$ on it being air from somewhere..... I'll look tomorrow now, I have a box of Waikato to work on
    Sweet, hopefully you'll sort it. You've checked out factory specs with the Dr manual for the carb I assume? yep waiting on parts from the states to fix mine.

Thread Information