Page 2 of 215 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    The DR650 is one of the best, on the right tyres.

Really?

So road tyres are better in the gravel than something like a TKC80? This is what I have on my DR650 and trust me, it's better in the gravel than a road tyre.
    personally i had road tyres on the rear of my xt 400 when i had it and on my 250 klr and the road tyre on the rear waas really good on the shingle up to about 120kph then you lose a bit of traction on the deeper shingle ....

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Sounds like some of you guys know how to set up a DR650. I just got back into competition after buying the DR a couple of months ago and wouldn't mind finding out what people are doing. Most of the bikes competing down here (Dunedin) are KTMs. Does anybody know a site to get this sort of set up advice from? The standard adventure tyres drift a lot on tarmac but at least its controlable and predictable drift, does anybody else use 21in fronts?? If so what tyres do you like?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    What sort of competition are you looking at doing on the DR?

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    If yer talking about roadracing, I use Bridgestone BT45s on the KTM. They grip well (up to a point anyway!) & they're cheap.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    What sort of competition are you looking at doing on the DR?
    Yea, i was thinking that is a pretty important piece of info missing.
    The DR650 ain't exactly an Enduro Race machine and he does mention Tarmac but still i feel the situation is rather ambiguous.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I hope he's not thinking of tarding it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I hope he's not thinking of tarding it
    Actually I already have tarded it sort of (tarmac only track). Went quite well on the cart track, was no slower than the KTM525's on a tight circuit which surprised the hell out of me! We have a clubmans competition down here (Dunedin) that is a real hoot! 1 bike allowed and about 13 different competitions. Road race, Mini TT, Road trial, Grass hilclimb, Gravel Hillclimb, Road hill climb, Road sprint, Gravel sprint etc etc... So which races am i entering ??? well all of them of course, thats why i bought the DR and then I can still ride it to work every day. So I have a good set of Knobs for the dirt/gravel stuff, but ran the original adventure type tyres for the tarmac. The back was Ok because the rear wheel moves about anyway - but front wheel drifts freak me out a little as I am just getting back into racing after about a 20 yesr spell. So advice like the BT45's for the front is helpful ta! Anybody else run 21in fronts??

Bike
    various

21 motard tyres

You might want to try Metzler lazer , used to be able to get them in comp K in 21 inch , good on the tar seal , crap in dirt . For the rear try the new Dunlop GPR alpha ten , absolutly briliant on the tar seal and not bad in the gravel (wheel stands on hard packed gravel ) but no good on wet clay, wet grass , mud , or the ditch on Kaiwaka rd ,oops
    THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS ARE FOUND OUTSIDE OUR COMFORT ZONE

Bike
    Thanks for that. I will check out the prices of the Lazer, GPR and BT45's here. I have also been checking out a lot of posts here that have been VERY informative. It is great to hear how people are getting more out of their DR's - they are so much fun. I see some people posting here have provided great tips -here and elsewhere - I am new to KiwiBiker forums so rummaging through them now to figure out what mod's I can do (I mean afford to do!) so thanks guys! Next event is Gravel Hill climb on 1st July so am deciding if I should use adventure pattern tyres or full Knobs.

Bike
    Have now competed in 2 speed events on gravel. A gravel sprint on full knobblies and last weekend a Gravel hillclimb on Continental Adventure pattern tyres. What an amazing difference full knobs make unless you are on hard packed dirt. I was absolutely slaughtered by everyone at the hillclimb as everyone else ran full knobs. Admittedly most were motocross bikes against my road trim DR but I could get no power down at all once the road had been cut up by a couple of runs, so I rode like the proverbial "big girls blouse". So if you spend serious time on gravel - chuck those dual purpose tyres out. The knobs hang on ok on dry ashphalt although I would not like to carry extra weight as emergency braking in the wet could be a problem. Ok - I'll tell the truth - I probably would have ridden like a blouse even with knobs on as I am still relatively inexperienced at racing on gravel - its bloody scary!!!

Check out the DR650 owners forum for Motard pics of my bike.
    Last edited by GaZBur; 5th July 2007 at 21:50. Reason: removed incorrect quote

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

BT45s

GazBur, I see you are considering BT45s for the DR, I ran them on my GSXR1100 and am not sure that if I had a choice I would do that again (I was limited by rim sizes on that bike).
    On the GSXR they were ok once well warmed up but certainly not as sticky as others, the rear slid fairly easily and you could break lose the front under braking if you tried.
    I feel they are a good touring / sports tyre rather than a sports / racing tyre.

I would look to something stickier, particularly for the front as it is really lightly loaded.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Check out the DR650 owners forum for Motard pics of my bike.
    I assume you mean the yahoo dr650 group? If so whats ya name on there i.e. how do I find your pics?

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Denniso View Post
    You might want to try Metzler lazer , used to be able to get them in comp K in 21 inch , good on the tar seal , crap in dirt . For the rear try the new Dunlop GPR alpha ten , absolutly briliant on the tar seal and not bad in the gravel (wheel stands on hard packed gravel ) but no good on wet clay, wet grass , mud , or the ditch on Kaiwaka rd ,oops
    I tried to get the Lazer Comp K's, A mate who was winning F3 races on his KTM600 before the word motard was invented recommended them, but apparently they dont make 'em any more, but ya never know, if you have a good parts guy they may be able to dig one up somewhere.
    The normal 21" Metzeler Lazers were $100 more than the BT45s so that settled the deal.
    With the 17" rear on the DR you've got a few more options there than my KTM's 18" back hoop but I found the BT45 pretty good on there, definitely not the stickiest tyre in the world but it gives you plenty of feedback & is quite controllable when losing/regaining traction.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    I assume you mean the yahoo dr650 group? If so whats ya name on there i.e. how do I find your pics?

Cheers R
    They are in the forum on here called "DR650 Owners register here"
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...t=51796&page=3

It went surprisingly well considering the poor tyres. Up against 2 KTM525's a KLX450, KTM 450, 2 smaller Kawasaki MX bikes and something else I forgot all with proper motard setup. Placed 2nd, 5th, 4th, 1st in the official races and won the two extra races. The track is real tight but the DR jumps of the start real well and if you are first into the first corner its surprisingly wide to pass.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    GazBur, I see you are considering BT45s for the DR, I ran them on my GSXR1100 and am not sure that if I had a choice I would do that again (I was limited by rim sizes on that bike).
    On the GSXR they were ok once well warmed up but certainly not as sticky as others, the rear slid fairly easily and you could break lose the front under braking if you tried.
    I feel they are a good touring / sports tyre rather than a sports / racing tyre.

I would look to something stickier, particularly for the front as it is really lightly loaded.
    Point taken thanks - especially the comment about the front. OK the choices look to be at the moment either Pirelli Scorpion MT90 S/T or thr Michelin Anakee. Both are the same retail price at $169 for 90/90-21 and $270 for 130/80-17. So either choice will break the bank!!!
    The BT45's surprisingly were quoted as $189 each for front and rear?
    Anybody got anything to say about either the Scorpions or Anakee go ahead.

Thread Information