Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike

Track day at Levels - what a hooot!

Put the DR around Levels last Saturday - what a blast. We were put into three groups. The new guys (passing on straight only) group 2 (passing but with strict rules) and group 3 (no holds barred). I put myself into group 2 with a lot of 600 sports bike and the occasional 750 or thou! 15 mins and only 2 guys lapped me -wow I was happy! Having sports bikes like R1's whizz past on the straight and pulling them back under brakes and corners. The GPS only had me at 160K when it was on but I am sure I saw some higher speeds in a later run. I was not slow compared to the rest of the sportsbikes in group 2 but when we went into group 3 some of the racing bikes made me look more than just a wee bit sluggish! Rapt with how I went though - the tyres were so hot they were picking up rubber from the track and it was being melted into the front tyre under brakes.
    Hey guys - you gotta try your big dirt bikes on the track - its AWESOME!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicane.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	75825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicane2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	75826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyre.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	75827  

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Sounds like you've been having a blast on ya big thumper mate. Been following this thread for a while looking forward to each post from you.

Good onya mate!
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    Sounds like you've been having a blast on ya big thumper mate. Been following this thread for a while looking forward to each post from you.

Good onya mate!
    Hey thanks for that feedback.
    I was wondering if I was just boring people with my posts. Tomorrow I got Motards and I think the Club bent sprint as well. I'm keeping busy and will let you know what happens.

Bike
    DRZ 400E / Gas Gas Pampera / CT110
    Keep the posts coming, I'm even thinking of getting one now!

Years ago I fitted some 17" rims to an old Honda Dominator and boy that was fun on the track, fitted it with a Paris-Dakar race can too (v. kin loud!) fantastic bike at the time, Supermotard was still being developed (mid 90's) and it was based on what was known as 'the french scene' xt's / Nx's etc with road bike 17" wheels... I have a pic somewhere and will post it when I find it (on old fashioned photographic paper - remember that?)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Wish we had that sort of stuff up here

I'll just have to do track days by proxy through you then.
    Keep writing them up

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by peachvw View Post
    Keep the posts coming, I'm even thinking of getting one now!...
    Do they have much motards up ChCh? I see you have a GasGas - what size? You should have a go at that as the Kart tracks are great levelers and you will find that some lighter bikes are sometimes very competitive against the big 4 strokes. I think the f650 might be a bit heavy though but thats what a few thought about the DR and they were proven wrong. All I can say is whatever you got - have a go at competition, any competition. (I suspect you are already though) I am not trying to be highly competitive, most of the time I get my ass well and truely whipped. Sometimes though I do manage to surprise people who assumed they would be faster than me (insert smug grin here). Hell - I'm just having fun and have discovered you learn more in one day on the track than you do months of road riding.
    Well its now 9am Sunday - time to put the leathers on a go out to do battle again.

Bike

The return of the big girls blouse!

Another big crash at Motards today - but just for a change I wasn't involved. Nobody hurt but a spectacular coming together of a Kawasaki and Husaberg far enough in front of me to not get tangled. I still have Kawasaki stains on my forks from last time I motarded so was taking off from the back grid this time. Thats why the title "The return of the big girls blouse!" coz I was starting off real cautious like I promised last time - but didnt!
    We only got one race before the clubmans event was run. The Bent Sprint, you hoon around the track for one lap(with cold tyres - no practice run) and have to stop from full noise inside a set area after passing though the timer. Don't stop in the box and your run is invalid. Well braking is what I can do well as thats usually where I make ground so did OK and placed midfield. I believe that means in my class of the Clubmans series - I have an unassailable hold on ----second place. No Cup for me, but hell the guy winning deserves it big time. We have both missed about the same number of events - but he is riding a full race MotoGuzzi 850 and today was the only time I could better his times. You should have heard the Guzzi growl - he used first gear all the way except the last bit of the straight. He even puts a set of Knobs on it the size of which you would not believe and beats the crap out of me in the gravel hill climb, what a handfull.
    Anyway, I hung around to watch the first part of the Buckets endurance race and they appeared to be taking things serious with lots of knee down action. I will see if I can get some pics from today to post later as there was a good photographer there today.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Sounds like you had a fun day then, those Bent Sprint sound like something I would love to have a go at.
    Good one man.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Bike

DR650 Specs - what do you reckon?

Finally found a site that quotes things like horsepower and top speed but although the South African site seem to be based on Austrailian reviews I wonder how accurate they are.
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...650se%2005.htm
    According to them the DR's top speed is 160.6k but i clocked that (on GPS not speedo) and was still accelerating after changing in to top at close to 150k so she has gearing for heaps more. Acceleration in top though is poor. My DR is only lightly modified with dyno jet needle and 155 main jet with opened airbox so I would expect even a standard one to top 160.6.
    Good site to look at specs for comparisons though.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Yea I've been using Motorcyclespecs for about a year now, great how it covers almost all models of the bigger brands, some of the more obscure bikes are missing details though which can be a pain. Love the front page with the pics of some of the latest models.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Finally found a site that quotes things like horsepower and top speed but although the South African site seem to be based on Austrailian reviews I wonder how accurate they are.
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...650se%2005.htm
    According to them the DR's top speed is 160.6k but i clocked that (on GPS not speedo) and was still accelerating after changing in to top at close to 150k so she has gearing for heaps more. Acceleration in top though is poor. My DR is only lightly modified with dyno jet needle and 155 main jet with opened airbox so I would expect even a standard one to top 160.6.
    Good site to look at specs for comparisons though.
    Be nice if they did carry 17l of fuel, I've only ever got 12.5ish into mine. IMS 18l will hopefully arrive this week

For the first time ever I got 20km/l this weekend. Had to do 200kms of non stop 110kph seal running (Chch to Springs) to get it though. Introduce any gravel and it is closer to 17km/l.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Be nice if they did carry 17l of fuel, I've only ever got 12.5ish into mine. IMS 18l will hopefully arrive this week

For the first time ever I got 20km/l this weekend. Had to do 200kms of non stop 110kph seal running (Chch to Springs) to get it though. Introduce any gravel and it is closer to 17km/l.

Cheers R
    Ha! I dont care how many K's I can get out of a standard tank - coz I know I can only get 150k's out of the standard seat. What is it made of, steel, Australian hardwood, aluminium, non compression plastic?!?! Oh my poor aching ... well you know!

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Ha! I dont care how many K's I can get out of a standard tank - coz I know I can only get 150k's out of the standard seat. What is it made of, steel, Australian hardwood, aluminium, non compression plastic?!?! Oh my poor aching ... well you know!
    TA and I did 950kms on Sat and I still have the stock seat. Chch to Springs, 200kms non stop but with numb fingers (took 15 mins for them to work properly) and a sore arse. On the way back we had to stop every 100kms!

It can be done

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    TA and I did 950kms on Sat and I still have the stock seat... It can be done
    Cheers R
    950kms - Now that is impressive. I bought my DR in ChCh and rode down to Dunedin and I was bloody tender by the time I got here. Swore I would get padding before I did any distance on it again.

One thing I forgot to mention about Levels - there was an adventure bike there - a BMW1050.

Question: So what's the difference between binning a DR and a BMW?

Answer A: The DR is usually still good to go even if the rider isn't. The BMW requires a clean up crew to pick up all the bits off the track.
    Answer B: Several thousand dollars.

Poor guy must have felt sick looking at the bike afterwards - I did notice he was fair tearing around the track though so it certainly didn't lack power. I hope its all just cosmetics and nothing seriously buggered. He was the only real damage of the day.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Like most interweb bike databases, appallingly inaccurate!

Right up there with Bikez and MotorBikes but at least they haven't stolen my pictures off the web and applied them to the wrong bikes like the latter.

And as usual they display KTM's half-dry weights as dry, but looks like BMW wet weights are treated as such.

They're a bit of fun but the information is blatant rubbish. Don't ever try to argue based on such poor data. Usually a more reliable source is the marque fan sites, they are at least passionate about the subject matter, awake to the nuances between models, and if you find inaccuracies will usually want to correct it. These all-in-one web sites are full of obvious crude errors, typos, you name it.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Thread Information