Page 7 of 215 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    At Wyndham you needed proof that you had done at least 3 major events before they would allow you to enter so
    Same at Port Nelson.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike

Burt Munroe Photos. DR650

One of the guys who introduced himself to me as a Kiwi Biker in Wyndham said he would send me a couple of pics he took. I thanked him but by my photographic experiences was just expecting some pics of the front or back wheel and a lot of excess scenery. Turns out he is actually good so here are a couple of pics with thanks to Kiwibiker TimG. ooh and one copywrite one from https://secure.sportzfotoz.co.nz/index.php - chill guys, I will be sending my order in to actually pay for some photos when they put the Wyndham ones up too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WyndhamTimG.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	78610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TeretongaTimG2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	78611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teretonga3.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	78612  

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Damn that 2nd shot is cool, thats how I ride most of the time!
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yeah great pics. What I always think is cute is to see the knee down boys when they're cornering at such a small lean angle that they'd actually probably be going a bit quicker if they kept it all tucked in, whereas if they were cornering so hard that their knees were close to the ground anyway that would be a different story.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Yeah great pics. What I always think is cute is to see the knee down boys when they're cornering at such a small lean angle that they'd actually probably be going a bit quicker if they kept it all tucked in, whereas if they were cornering so hard that their knees were close to the ground anyway that would be a different story.
    Yeah I know what you mean. Obviously sticking your knee out on a lower powered bike greatly increases wind resistance and reduces speed. Knee down is good if you are on a low sports bike with rear set pegs. It can help with balance and confidence, I have even seen the fast bucket guys appear to hold the bike up when the things would otherwise have been lowsided. I think it is probably dumb anywhere but the racetrack where the surface is perfectly flat with predictable traction, otherwise its probably a good way to smash a knee. The DR is so tall especially with the 21in front that as I have said before - if my knee scrapes then so does my hip, sholder and helmet at the same time. The real top Motard guys can slide the bike and knee at the same time, I wouldnt even want to try!!! Have you checked out the pics in the Sportsbike - Motard Poster thread.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR650
    Hey guys,

toy run was awesome even though I could only spot 2 other DR650's next to mine (

Bike
    I took my 10 year old son on the toy ride in Dunedin son Saturday too! Awesome ride if you can keep away from the Harleys. (what you say son?? - only I'm fecking deaf from riding between two harley cruisers!!!)
    On Sunday started getting the DR ready for the holidays and hopefully some back country riding.
    Removed the racing stuff - overflow bottles and rubber axle protectors etc. Will do the tyres closer to X-mas.
    Changed the front sprocket to a 14 tooth.
    So the difference in gearing appears from seat of the pants..
    No great noticable difference in acceleration at low speed, not noticable but may be measurable as you would expect there to be some increase.
    100kph in top gear is much smoother and doesn't require change down for hills or passing like I used to.
    110kph - 120kph - slight vibration at this speed that could get annoyng.
    50kph -lugs along nicely in 4th - where it used to be a bit too slow for 4th but not really comfortable in 3rd.
    So the initial verdict is, 14 is better for most legal speeds and probably for racing.
    If you do a lot of 100 -120+ flat road riding the 15 tooth is better at speeds over 100kph.

Bike

Wyndham Street photos

Sportzfotoz have put up the Wyndham roadrace photos.
    Check out the shiny wet tar - slippery as!!!
    I did have fun when it dried though. I guess thats the end of racing this year - don't know what the schedule is for next year yet but looking forward to it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyndham1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	79443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyndham5.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	79444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyndham7.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	79445  

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I did have fun when it dried though. I guess thats the end of racing this year - don't know what the schedule is for next year yet but looking forward to it!
    Looks ummm... fun

End of racing, start of adventuring...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Looks ummm... fun
    End of racing, start of adventuring...
    Yep - will get some gravel under the wheels these holidays. Hope to catch up with a few on the Central Trails thread, sounds great and the pics are terrific!

So do you reckon the DR needs a bash plate for gravel roads or is that only a concern for serious trails?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Yep - will get some gravel under the wheels these holidays. Hope to catch up with a few on the Central Trails thread, sounds great and the pics are terrific!

So do you reckon the DR needs a bash plate for gravel roads or is that only a concern for serious trails?
    Even on the gravel I've heard some loud thunks of things hitting my 50kph sign.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Even on the gravel I've heard some loud thunks of things hitting my 50kph sign.
    Were you going 70+?
    You know speeding in a 50 zone is bad!

Gazbur, a bash plate, no matter how simple, is still worth it.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    Were you going 70+?
    You know speeding in a 50 zone is bad!
    Next one is going to be a 100 sign

Bike

DR gets to five figures

Two things happened to me tonight, went to the OMCC prizegiving.

The second one was - on the way home the DR turned over 10,000Km.

The first one was - well - guess who won the Junior Clubmams Series.

Go on guess!!!

Have you figured it out yet??

Give you a hint - he rides a DR650.

I got to choose some prizes too.

One of the prizes I chose was a set of tie downs. One of the guys I race against asked "Why do you choose tie downs when you ride to the track"

The first aid lady answered "It's because although he rides to the track often he is in no condition to ride home again"!!! That got a few laughs at my expense.
    I have enough chain lube to last the rest of my life and a fancy set of spoke sockets - even though they have never needed adjustment.

Pity they didn't have helmets as prizes as I need a BIG one now.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Haha, Congrats on the win mate,
    Thats a great effort on a DR650!

Thread Information