Page 215 of 215 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215
Results 3,211 to 3,221 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not as easy a process as you would think to cut and weld a motorcycle chassis ...

Easy to get done ... but ... The "System" ... has other ideas ...

It would then it would require LVV Certification after the welding was done. And the person that did the welding ... would need to show they were qualified to do the welding.

There are enough "Hoops" to jump through in the official process already ... with using just a "Donor" chassis ...
    That really depends on whether you wanted to inform the system that welding had taken place, doesn't it?

I did get certification done on a couple of items I had welded. Competency of the welder wasn't questioned , and the testing and certification provided wasn't that expensive
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not as easy a process as you would think to cut and weld a motorcycle chassis ...

Easy to get done ... but ... The "System" ... has other ideas ...

It would then it would require LVV Certification after the welding was done. And the person that did the welding ... would need to show they were qualified to do the welding.

There are enough "Hoops" to jump through in the official process already ... with using just a "Donor" chassis ...
    That really depends on whether you want to inform the system that welding has taken place, doesn't it? A competent welder should be able to make joins that don't scream "a budgie perched here" . Anyway when is the last time a WoF inspection included checking the frame structure that closely?

FWIW I have had a couple of welded components tested and certified. The competency of the welder wasn't called into consideration and the testing and subsequent certificate was not too expensive or time consuming.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    That really depends on whether you want to inform the system that welding has taken place, doesn't it? A competent welder should be able to make joins that don't scream "a budgie perched here" . Anyway when is the last time a WoF inspection included checking the frame structure that closely?

FWIW I have had a couple of welded components tested and certified. The competency of the welder wasn't called into consideration and the testing and subsequent certificate was not too expensive or time consuming.
    Times have changed ... Having the personal authority to issue a WOF is for some an asset their livelihood depends on. ANY issue that might place that ability in doubt is carefully managed.

And what check are made ... would depend on the bike's need for Re-vin or WOF ... or one tester "needing" to ask questions as to what is required to fulfill "Policy" as they see's it ...

I have had obvious welding ignored in the past ... as they knew me ... and knew who I would have got to do the welding (The quality of welding was obvious). Such was life in a small town. I doubt if that would ever occur again. Even in the same circumstances ... and with same people.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    That really depends on whether you wanted to inform the system that welding had taken place, doesn't it?

I did get certification done on a couple of items I had welded. Competency of the welder wasn't questioned , and the testing and certification provided wasn't that expensive
    Trying to HIDE such things can (sometimes) be more detrimental than helpful at times. Especially if a weld fails (as it may do in an accident). Even if the weld failure has nothing to do with the cause of the accident.

Hardly a policy I'd recommend. Or encourage in this day and age.

Personal choice I guess ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    various
    Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the support. I have contacted every wrecker I can think of. I did get a response from one in Wellington but he sold the frame to someone else almost immediately after contacting me... I did check about welding on the frame with the certifier. He was very clear that welding would not be accepted on the frame, unless it was done by the factory. He also said that it was usual to check the frame for any change in type/colour of paint which may be covering up welding or beating into shape. So,...I'm still looking for the elusive DR650 frame, somewhere in someone's shed, probably getting a gentle coat of antique rust.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I think there would be heaps of restored bikes with powder coated frames
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    XZ, 954, XF - actually, ANYTHING
    There's a fella in Tasmania wrecking a 2004 DR. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brig...klx/1257983428

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Still looking for a DR650 frame. Everyone must be holding onto their frames/running gear in case they get a replacement motor for the one that died. DR650 must be one of the most common bikes in NZ but very hard to find a frame in good condition.
    There is a frame for sale on the NZ Dr650 page on FB with rego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Just picked up a DR650 . 2015 and only 1600 kms from new. It's a new bike. Don't know much about them to be honest.

Had some money spent on it though, big tank, forks and shock rebuilt. Renthal bars , GSXR1000 pipe. New seat. Bar warmers, Carb has been upgraded. Pissing down here so I can't say how it goes at this stage.

Looks like footpeg lowering mod is something I'll look at , I'm 5'9.

Last big 4t I had was a TT600. That was a while ago.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like most of the essential things are done.

Suspension however will be the most important upgrade. Rebuilt to std specs will better than worn out, but, and I'm no expert on these things, but have had to sit through long conversations when away with mates who have several.

We have a local guy here who does wonders, but in chch Linton at DAS will be your best port of call. He's a great guy but will talk the legs off a table.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Sounds like most of the essential things are done.

Suspension however will be the most important upgrade. Rebuilt to std specs will better than worn out, but, and I'm no expert on these things, but have had to sit through long conversations when away with mates who have several.

We have a local guy here who does wonders, but in chch Linton at DAS will be your best port of call. He's a great guy but will talk the legs off a table.
    Yep. Linton has done the work on the forks and the shock on my bike. He knows what he's doing for sure. He can talk, but a nice guy nonetheless.

Thread Information