Page 1 of 215 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    various

The DR650 thread

Finaly figured out what to do about the stack of tyres off my motard , I bought a new DR650 and spoked on 17 inch rims , what a blast for such a soft bike it is stupid fast on the road ( allready pissed off quite a few road bikes ) but it's a lot better in the shingle than I thought it would be , genraly I find road bikes better in the shingle but this is so much fun I've found myself out riding at 2 in the morning in the shingle . the other suprise is how well that the GPR a10 tyres work in shingle , it handles so well my mate has just gotten some 17s to spoke on to his 650 and has told me to do more racing to generate more tyres for him to use. Only hassles so far are the overly restricted exaust ( fixed , now better power ) and suspension is to soft , needs way more rebound and a little more compresion but thats happening soon , if I get a chance to let it cool down . At least it dosen't have a fairing as the bellypan on my SV is now rooted from shingle .
    THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS ARE FOUND OUTSIDE OUR COMFORT ZONE

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Shingle is addictive isn't it

So are motards.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Are you saying that road tyres on a motard are as good on gravel as dual purpose tyres?

I put dual purpose tryes on my xt660x tard primarily for gravel/dirt road use. The mitas E09 I put on the back howls its head off on the tarmac and I have been considering putting the original pirelli scorpions (never tried them on gravel) back on but didn't want to lose the gravel/dirt road capability.

I have proven to myself that regardless of tryes the 660 is simply too heavy for serious off road work and hence the tyres I currently have on it are verging on overkill.

cheers

Mark

Bike
    .......?
    Quote Originally Posted by Denniso View Post
    but it's a lot better in the shingle than I thought it would be
    The DR650 is one of the best, on the right tyres.

genraly I find road bikes better in the shingle
    Really?

it handles so well my mate has just gotten some 17s to spoke on to his 650and has told me to do more racing to generate more tyres for him to use
    So road tyres are better in the gravel than something like a TKC80? This is what I have on my DR650 and trust me, it's better in the gravel than a road tyre.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knobby.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	62426  

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    n00b question

wtf is a shingle

Bike
    .......?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    wtf is a shingle
    He means gravel. Well, I hope he does or I've replied thinking it's something completely different.

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    He means gravel. Well, I hope he does or I've replied thinking it's something completely different.
    cheers for that, i'm a town boy i dunno these fancy country words, we have that tarminiac stuff. lol

The compound would have a lot to do with it - once it hits hard pack the grip would be great,but in thick gravel it would be as bad as any road tyre.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    various
    Yep I prefer a road bike in gravel/shingle , more weight / power but a bit fragile when droped and yes I prefer road tyres , on well swept gravel you get good traction and on freshly graded roads not even a full knobbly will grip so why bother and besides if I'm having fun I don't give a shit what bike/tyres I'm on
    THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS ARE FOUND OUTSIDE OUR COMFORT ZONE

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    That's the point mate, if you enjoy it, then its right for you.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    what sort of tyre pressures do you guys run when you are on gravel?

cheers

Mark

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Tyre pressures? Next you'll be suggesting I clean the bike.....

I run bridgestone knobblies on mine with 20psi in the front and 25psi in the back (about). This is what I run regardless of whether I am on gravel of seal, mud or sand you may want drop your pressures for.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    With those sorts of pressures is there any risk of problems with hard cornering on tarseal? (my 660 still thinks its a motard even with knobs on...). I'm not concerned with shorter tyre life - just keeping the bike attached to the ground.

I like the idea of not having to futz with pressures when I go from on road to off

I have been running 30/30 on road/gravel and 18/18 in mucky stuff.

cheers

Mark

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    With those sorts of pressures is there any risk of problems with hard cornering on tarseal? (my 660 still thinks its a motard even with knobs on...).

I have been running 30/30 on road/gravel and 18/18 in mucky stuff.
    What tyres are you running? Road tyres? Knobblies?

I run Knobblies on the DR at 22 front/25 rear on the road and 13/15 off road with heavy duty tubes to stave off punctures and rim locks to keep the tyre in place.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    mitas e09 17" 140/80 (knobbyish) on rear and pirelli scorpion MT/90 17" x120/70 (dual purpose) on front. No rim locks.

Thread Information