Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ST1100 and ST1300, What ya views?

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5

ST1100 and ST1300, What ya views?

Been tryin a few bikes as a replacement for "Roxanne" the CBR1000F. So far only the ST1300 has felt right for me (sorry the Blackbird, Busa and the Bandit 1200 did not), but can not afford one of those, so will try a ST1100. Is there anything I sould really look out for with these bikes (with the CBR1000F it is the cam-chain and the exhaust collector-box)?
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    The 1100 and 1300 are like chalk and cheese. They're both nearly bullet-proof though. In the UK they talk about 250,000 k's with major work.
    I'm seriously considering a 1300. There's a young buck on some little 400 sprotbike who found out how hard 1300's can go in the twisty's.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    None any more
    There are more ST1100s sold each year in New Zealand than ST1300s, thanks to grey imports. They're pretty bulletproof, as previously mentioned. A mate of mine had an ST1100 and loved it. They don't seem to have the screen/cross-wind issues that the ST1300s have, and they also run a 17" front wheel, with all of the benefits that entails...

Don't forget they were the Police bike of choice here until the recent change to BMWs.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None
    ST1100, beautiful machines, I don't think you'll find many people who rubbish them, and if you do, take it with a grain of salt.

When I have a new place with a bigger garage I'm going to buy a ST1100 and paint it in repsol colours for shits and giggles.

Let us know how it goes Doug

Bike
    moped
    Nothing wrong with the ST's, good bikes, lots Ulyssess guys have got them and clock up some big mileages with no problems, they are an exellent tourer, and good bikes over long distances. Good seating for the pillion, exhaust pipes nice and low, giving plenty of leg room.
    I rode a Pan European but found my knees were a little to tight to fit into the fairings, bit cramped.
    I have just purchased a 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 AS, a very simalar bike to the ST.
    I have had a number of bikes over the years, but this takes the cake for touring, a loverly bike, they were slow to sell to start with but your starting to see more on the road now.
    Go for a ride on one...... you might be impressed !!!!!!

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS

Thumbs up

Both are great bikes to be pillion on too

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Go the 1300. My lady was complaining about a sore bottom on the MV so to keep her keen on bikes, we test rode an ST1300. Smooth and handles remarkably well. Didn't get my knee down though.

Was funny, I was riding down the motorway and I though I'd test the grip warmers. Flicked em on mid and continued on. After a while nothing, so I turned them on high and forgot about them. Sometime later I remembered and thought "Shit these grip warmers sure are useless... but why is my arse on fire?"

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Loved that Finn.

Have been told that the ST1300 is slower than the ST1100 and catches the wind more. Any truth in that?

Anyway am still kean on one, but have decided that I can not afford a ST yet (one that has not don't too many km's that is).
    Looking hard @ 1 of "Roxanne's" younger "sisters" at the moment (a low k CBR1000FV). Should be able to afford it (I hope). It should last me for another 3yrs. By then I should have the money for a ST.
    New Zealand......

Bike
    None any more
    Dunno about slower. I understand that an ST1300 will top out in excess of 220kmh on windless Wairarapa roads. Not that I would condone such a practice...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    but why is my arse on fire?
    I went to a party like that once when I was younger. It may have involved "herbal" cigarettes. I can't remember much.

Bike
    GL1800
    Hi Doug, howzit?

What sort of $$ are you looking to spend? Recently saw a super low mileage ST1100 advertised which I thought was great value. I'll hunt it out if interested,

Shafty
    Tga Uselessess

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    Hi Doug, howzit?

What sort of $$ are you looking to spend? Recently saw a super low mileage ST1100 advertised which I thought was great value. I'll hunt it out if interested,

Shafty
    Tga Uselessess
    For under $10K? I am still interest in them.
    But have found a CBR1000FV (1997 and very low miles) that I hope to get for less than $9K if I'm lucky. "Roxanne's" (CBR1000FL 1990) Custom Rider Seat will fit it, as should the Custom Chamber's Header pipes and can I had got made for her.
    New Zealand......

Bike
    GL1800
    Here it is Mate:

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/De...rcycletradernz

A bit above your price, but maybe you can screw them. Super low miles. Also it's BLACK.

- beats being the Rider in Brown...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    I went to a party like that once when I was younger. It may have involved "herbal" cigarettes. I can't remember much.
    you should come round to my place hitcher

you're never too old..

Bike
    Sold
    Hi Rider in Black, I had two Honda ST1100's and they are very reliable and economic bikes.

Some don't like them because they are a bit heavy at first but I used to chuck mine around no trouble even on the gravel.

On standard tyres they will not red line in top gear but I put a low profile tyre on the back and red lined at 150mph, unfortunately that tyre only lasted 400km and it fell to bits.

Standard bike is great, like some one said the fairings are a bit close on your knees so check that out for your size and fit first.

The seats are not that flash if I had another one it would be straight off to "Rider" seats in Tauranga for remodeling. Cheers John

PS: Cam belt at 100,000km, can't think of anything else except tyres and routine checks.

Thread Information