Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: F5’s first ever brand new bike!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Gaaah! Thud!
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Good things take time.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well I've not got the barrels back yet, but in the mean time I've got the chassis checked for straightness as it was a bit suspect. Turns out it was straight as. I've wired in some bullet connectors so I can try filters on the speedo & tacho as I have had some interference issues making them a bit random.

Next controversial thing is I've just got back from dropping the pipes at the strippers to take the HPC coating off. It looks nice when polished & will protect the pipes well which is why I chose it. But the bike makes power a lot higher than I expected. The port timing & pipe length seems to measure out just fine.

Insulating pipes makes them act as if shorter & concentrates the power further up. There is also a train of thought that the returning charge that has over scavenged gets returned to the engine hoter than if normal pipes. Either way I've decided to test whether the bike produces power lower down without the coating. I would have thought it only would have made ~ 300rpm diff. Only way it seems is to test. Experts I've asked haven't lied the HPC coating, but can't be specific how much diff it will make.

If I need to lengthen the pipes I'd have needed to get them stripped anyway.

So teh quation is now how do I coat them. Well I'll wait & see.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well I've not got the barrels back yet, but in the mean time I've got the chassis checked for straightness as it was a bit suspect. Turns out it was straight as. I've wired in some bullet connectors so I can try filters on the speedo & tacho as I have had some interference issues making them a bit random.

Next controversial thing is I've just got back from dropping the pipes at the strippers to take the HPC coating off. It looks nice when polished & will protect the pipes well which is why I chose it. But the bike makes power a lot higher than I expected. The port timing & pipe length seems to measure out just fine.

Insulating pipes makes them act as if shorter & concentrates the power further up. There is also a train of thought that the returning charge that has over scavenged gets returned to the engine hoter than if normal pipes. Either way I've decided to test whether the bike produces power lower down without the coating. I would have thought it only would have made ~ 300rpm diff. Only way it seems is to test. Experts I've asked haven't lied the HPC coating, but can't be specific how much diff it will make.

If I need to lengthen the pipes I'd have needed to get them stripped anyway.

So teh quation is now how do I coat them. Well I'll wait & see.
    Before stripping the pipes try makeing some ali spacers for between the pipe and cylinder.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Too late, they're at the strippers now. But also they have slip on joints at the headers unlike the RZ & there isn't much clearance to the rad anyway.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Too late, they're at the strippers now. But also they have slip on joints at the headers unlike the RZ & there isn't much clearance to the rad anyway.
    What a coincidence, I was at the 'strippers' yesterday too.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    2 posts in 1

1. never posted from 2 weeks ago;
    Well yeehaa, I finally have my new barrels back. The old ones were porous which was what was giving me so much greif trying to set it up.

I will now leak test them (apparently they do this on new stuff so they have learnt) & they had a piston to barrel measurement document 'cause that had been a problem for others in the past. So top marks to Trinity for honouring a 3 year old set of barrels & even threw in new pistons & gaskets.

So now I will repaint them & I'll run some Chemweld block sealant in them to belt & braces. I've done this in another barrel by putting the head on with short rad hoses & bungs & fitting a tyre valve. I'll fill it full of this stuff & pressurise it & put in on the stove in some water heating it to 60 deg for 20 min, then leave it in there making sure it's under pressure. This stuff doesn't leave a residue apparently & just works its way into any cracks of porosity.

Then it's back together & see if it runs properly now.

Pipes are now just painted & new battery box under the seat as it needed a bigger battery for the Zeeltronics.

I got a licence plate for it yesterday so it is legal to ride in NZ.

Watch this space. oh yeah I've got a racebike I'm just about to start for the first time & then tune & finish the chassis, & a new dirtbike that needs some fettling I got in the weekend, + with the new kid & all. . . .ahh, time where can I find some?

2nd post imagine its today (ok a tough stretch)

Well its been a wet weekend (& a few late nights during the week) so I got into the garage & despite having a new (to me) dirt-bike vying for the time I managed to get the engine back in the frame after doing the above sealing & testing & rechecking squish,, re-adjusting TSS PV fit, compression ratio, adjusting piston ring end gap etc & all those things that make a simple job take a long time.

Getting the engine in the frame is quite a trick, even the sump plug has to be out & you need to have the correct alcohol to blood ratio to origami it in with a few strategic twists from left right to front back. I'd only had 3 beers so it was a nightmare & took 1/4 hr just to get it in situ with no bolts, just resting there.

Cover all back on, just pipes, carbs, rad, wires & fluids, then I can test it & restart the jetting process without extra water injection.

Bike
    K6 1K
    Ooh nice I remember an article in Performance Bikes mag back in the mid-90's where some guy in the UK had chucked an RG500 engine into an RGV250 chassis. I was all about the two-strokes at the time and got quite excited about that bike. Maybe not quite the same thing but still very nice.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Woohoo!!!! Looking forward to meeting the bike in person son Dave. I expect to see it passing me on one wheel btw.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale_wolf View Post
    Ooh nice I remember an article in Performance Bikes mag back in the mid-90's where some guy in the UK had chucked an RG500 engine into an RGV250 chassis. I was all about the two-strokes at the time and got quite excited about that bike. Maybe not quite the same thing but still very nice.
    Yeah there were a couple of those in wgtn & I've seen at least 1 in Auckland. This will match a fairly highly tuned RG500 (they break about 100hp with a StanStephens stage 3 tune) but hopefully be less fragile. The RGs like eating cranks & 2nd gear & the parts prices will scare you. I almost went down this path over 10 yrs ago until I spoke to my flatmate of the time who was an ex suzuki parts man & he quoted me the price of RG cranks

Should have a bunch more midrange into the bargain & will be a sight lighter than the 4 as well.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Eeet lieves (again)

Well I finally got a short time I could test ride the bike with the kids awake.

It needs some more jetting work at low throttle applications but past there seems pretty ok. I’ll richen the pilots & retry, failing that I’ll try the richer std slides.

But overall it runs the best it ever has. Getting there finally.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Eeet lieves (again)

Well I finally got a short time I could test ride the bike with the kids awake.

It needs some more jetting work at low throttle applications but past there seems pretty ok. I’ll richen the pilots & retry, failing that I’ll try the richer std slides.

But overall it runs the best it ever has. Getting there finally.
    Video and/or pix please

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Vid of a wheelie or it didn't happen...............
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Wheelie on a public road? I'm sure it didn't Actually with the jetting still soggy it would be a pretty haphazard affair.

My new 300 Gaser though! Woohoo! front wheel required off the ground?, No problem sir, how high would sir like it? Ride over these bumps with wheel still in the air, But of course sir. Turn the corner with the wheel still in the air? um. . .yes, if sir would be so good to just close the throttle if it isn't inconvenient? Oh dear.

Bike
    -
    Just found out about your project after your recent updates, sounds bloddy wicked!
    Was reading a back issue of Bike Rider Magazine (February 2010 #68) and been drooling over a modern homemade YZR500, no doubt its been posted on here somewhere before. But this is just sooo damm sexy it is worth another mention, the quality of finish is absolutely amazing and could only dream of what it would be like to ride. Here is a copy of an article in another magazine which featured the same bike

Thread Information