Thread: Busted head gasket? Or just over reacting?

Bike
    V four and Thumper

Busted head gasket? Or just over reacting?

Since the weather's pretty rubbish I haven't had much chance to ride my bike lately, so today I decided to give it a clean. While cleaning I noticed something in the egine oil sight glass. It looks like my oils been emulsified, so I'm really worried about it! Do you think I've got a busted head gasket or similar? Or maybe just haven't been on a decent ride lately enough to boil off the regular contaminants in the oil?

Here's a pic of the sight glass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0002 small.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	63350  

Bike
    V four and Thumper
    I checked under the radiator cap and its fine under there, no sign of any oil in the water, just water in the oil so far.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I wouldn't be too concerned. There may be a little condensation in the crankcase, a good ride should sort that out. You could always do an oil change if you're really concerned.

Bike
    '87 GSX750SF Katana, 08 Cagiva Raptor
    My bike does this.

Dont shit your pants like I did. Its just condensation in the crankcase as Onearmedbandit says.

Take your bike for a ride and it will disapear, only to return later on. Its normal apparently.

Bike
    V four and Thumper
    Sweet! Thanks heaps guys. I guess I'm just a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to my baby! I my bike

Clean bill of health is very good to hear!

Bike
    96 Honda RS125
    another good way to tell, is if its a blown head gasket, heaps of stem will come out your exhaust even after the usual cold morning steam has gone
    PM me or email me at mail@timmcarthur.co.nz for $45 knee sliders incl GST and shipping

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Since the weather's pretty rubbish I haven't had much chance to ride my bike lately, so today I decided to give it a clean. While cleaning I noticed something in the egine oil sight glass. It looks like my oils been emulsified, so I'm really worried about it! Do you think I've got a busted head gasket or similar? Or maybe just haven't been on a decent ride lately enough to boil off the regular contaminants in the oil?

Here's a pic of the sight glass
    As the others have said, without any sign of oil in your coolant or loss of coolant then the most likely cause is condensation. Again repeating others' comments, you could try a longish ride to boil it off and re-check, but then if your oil has done more than a couple/three thousand clicks, bin it (and the filter) to be on the safe side. I've seen what moisture contamination can do to bearing surfaces; it ain't pretty. Weigh up the cost of new engine bearings over the cost of an oil change.

Using your bike more might prevent the problem coming back; good excuse to get out and about huh?

Thread Information