Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting GB400/GB500/anything else classic and LAMS

Bike
    1981 Honda CB400N

Wanting GB400/GB500/anything else classic and LAMS

as title, dream bike (achievable dream bike) for a few years now has been the gb500tt, but prices have doubled since I first looked, and now I have the money they're all too expensive.

must be lams or w650. Would prefer above 500cc but would consider below 400 if it's a physically bigger, or rather quick, bike.

Classic styling, or with potential to make classic looking, and with current wof. depending on the bike i would be willing to go to $4500

Thanks, Steven

--comment on this thread or text me on 0221748114

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    hi stevenT good choice of bike to go for, theyre quite sought after but watch closely and you may pickup a good one with a buy now or classified listing for $3500.00 to $4000.00 i bought a very tidy orig one with reg n wof for $1300.00 8 years ago, things have changed huh. the 400 is still a good bike also
    power and accelleration feels much the same as the 500 but it runs out of puff about 15 km/h sooner. stick to what you really want mate, itll come along
    and dont be put off by some of the astronomical prices around..theyll never sell
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    1981 Honda CB400N
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    hi stevenT good choice of bike to go for, theyre quite sought after but watch closely and you may pickup a good one with a buy now or classified listing for $3500.00 to $4000.00 i bought a very tidy orig one with reg n wof for $1300.00 8 years ago, things have changed huh. the 400 is still a good bike also
    power and accelleration feels much the same as the 500 but it runs out of puff about 15 km/h sooner. stick to what you really want mate, itll come along
    and dont be put off by some of the astronomical prices around..theyll never sell
    cheers for that, some people have told me the 400 is a lot slower than the 500? I've read stories of people selling them a couple of years after new, and only for a quarter of the price new.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-786092001.htm

This looks great

Wife has a GB400 and its a little rocket

Hi Flash

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    1981 Honda CB400N
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    I like that one, but I think shipping would be around 700, and I'm not too keen on buying without seeing. but if I don't see anything locally or find a 500 in my price range, i'll probably just bid on it

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Wanting GB400/GB500/anything else classic and LAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Steven T View Post
    I like that one, but I think shipping would be around 700, and I'm not too keen on buying without seeing. but if I don't see anything locally or find a 500 in my price range, i'll probably just bid on it
    Ya could always ask em to make a video prompting them what you want to see and get em to bung it on utube. Or get a local bike shop to do a pre sale inspection for ya, might cost a hundy, but so what.

Shipping's easy. Get em to put it on the ferry, u take the bus, plane, train or thumb to wellywood. Pick it up from the terminal. Then take a nice road trip home.

If ya want it, just make it happen. That bike looks really mint for an ole bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    1981 Honda CB400N
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Ya could always ask em to make a video prompting them what you want to see and get em to bung it on utube. Or get a local bike shop to do a pre sale inspection for ya, might cost a hundy, but so what.

Shipping's easy. Get em to put it on the ferry, u take the bus, plane, train or thumb to wellywood. Pick it up from the terminal. Then take a nice road trip home.

If ya want it, just make it happen. That bike looks really mint for an ole bugger.

Yeah I would probably consider getting an inspection. But a drive down and a ride up is probably not going to work for me

I was really keen on this one, but he wants 7000 for it cash, reserve is around 6k, and I have 5 as an absolute maximum
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-786395200.htm

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    snap murray...great minds huh! my lady had a 400 too, cool machines.

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Yeah I would probably consider getting an inspection. But a drive down and a ride up is probably not going to work for me

I was really keen on this one, but he wants 7000 for it cash, reserve is around 6k, and I have 5 as an absolute maximum
    Holy heck that is one tidy unit. Too pricey thou and too tidy for a daily runner no doubt, more of a show piece?

Re the four hundy, looks like bike tranz is the only option then. I've used them before, good on price and the bikes arrived without a mark on em, very professional.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    cheers for that, some people have told me the 400 is a lot slower than the 500? I've read stories of people selling them a couple of years after new, and only for a quarter of the price new.
    Nope. The 400 and the 500 were very similar. By simply doing some basic suspension mods you can have the 400 doing laps around the 500. But where you need to be cautious is.......they are now 30 years old (almost). So unless they had a complete rebuild, they will feel old.

If you were looking for about $4-6K - what about a newish single? I know that they are hard to find - but they exist from the SG350 goose to the Buell Blast.

I used to be a huge fan of GB's (I owned a few), but now I realize that what I am telling people about how great a bike it is.......is based of experience 10-15 years ago. It's time to move on. It's a shame Honda didn't keep making it - but they didn't.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    as title, dream bike (achievable dream bike) for a few years now has been the gb500tt, but prices have doubled since I first looked, and now I have the money they're all too expensive.

must be lams or w650. Would prefer above 500cc but would consider below 400 if it's a physically bigger, or rather quick, bike.

Classic styling, or with potential to make classic looking, and with current wof. depending on the bike i would be willing to go to $4500

Thanks, Steven

--comment on this thread or text me on 0221748114
    These are fast becoming a true cult bike and most owners hang on to them,over the past 24months a guy in Brisbane has been buying them off TM and shipping to Oz for a tart up and resell-I have heard up to AUS $10000-where they are super rare.This has led to a shortage here and subsequent price rise.-I guess the joy of these bikes is they already are a classic Café Racer so you save money there straight away,they are also a great bike to fang around on.I am biased because I own one and love it,and no,it is not for sale-sorry.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200

As its within 15% of reserve he wants $5,750 minimum.

You would probably get it for that.

Bugger your $750 short as this one also looks a nice machine

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    1981 Honda CB400N
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    As its within 15% of reserve he wants $5,750 minimum.

You would probably get it for that.

Bugger your $750 short as this one also looks a nice machine
    Just that, that's nearing real bike money. Not far off a bonniville or similar.

Bike
    1986 Honda GB400TT

Gb400tt

Hi Guys. I bought that GB400 off the Trademe auction that was mentioned here. It is in pristine condition - far better than I hope for (buying it unseen). !! Its awesome & I love it .

Thread Information