Thread: 1990 ZXR A - Starting issues....again.

Bike
    1990 ZXR A

1990 ZXR A - Starting issues....again.

Ok so I had a flat battery last night, took it for a long ride to charge the battery. When I got back tested it, it was all good started first time. This morning, fired up first time. This afternoon bike fired up first time as well, I stood there with the choke on warming it up. It sat there idling for a few minutes. I got on, helmet, gloves etc... went to ride but accidently stalled the bike. Now the bike wont start. It seems everytime the bike is 'stalled' it just will not turn over, battery is great, lights are bright (There turned off at the time of starting).

I dont really want to Crash/Bump start it as Im currently in the middle of town and would rather wait for traffic to die down a bit.

Any ideas? Its got gas in it, could be flooded? Is this the symptoms?

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    So let me get this right,it now wont turn over at all,correct??
    Does it make a clicking noise when the starter button is pushed?do the dash lights etc go dim??
    Or is there nothing at all?
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    1990 ZXR A
    Ok, so after a Crash start I got the bike home. Unfortunately, what I thought was it just being cold is not the case. I noticed it lacking some power low in the revs (for a 250 that is) and as it was idling it sounded quite rough/knocking like..
    Im ringing Boyle Kawasaki first thing tomorrow.

Bike
    -
    When it's really cold, the engine takes much longer to warm up, so you need to give it a longer warm-up period. When my bike is not warmed up properly, it has bugger-all power, idle is really rough, etc etc -- however if I double the warm-up period (compared to summer), it runs like normal. Lesson being warm your bike up fully (putting load on the engine when it's running like that is not nice). However, was it like that the whole way home? How long is the ride home? Maybe there's shit in the fuel or something.

The starting could just be the battery -- I know you say the lights are bright and all that, but in winter the engine puts an extra load on the whole electrical system, so cranking it once for a while then failing could drain the battery under the level it needs to spark, while lights etc remain good.

Also, standing there with the choke on for ages, then cranking it again (with the choke?) after it's already warmed up could definitely flood it. I could tell you how to clear a flood on a kickstart bike but I have no idea with electric starters.

Bike
    1990 ZXR A
    After I got it crash started I road home, it was a bit rough starting out, especially when getting low in the rev range. Ride home is about 8-10 minutes. When I got home, I rode it up the road a bit, turned it off, turned it back on again ('No Choke' just 'Starter') and it fired up. I then rev'd it a bit turned it off after a minute or so. Attempted to start, engine turned over, fired briefly then back to not starting again. I then nana'd it back to my house where I checked fluid levels Oil, Coolant etc...

Not sure whats going on.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    How long have you had this bike? It might be as xerxesdaphat says and you are flooding it. Do you push the choke back in all the way or half way, and when?

You might want to check the levels in the battery and top up if required with distilled water.

If the levels are ok have the battery checked at a bike shop to see if it is holding a charge. It may be that your battery is stuffed. Sometimes a visual check of the cells will confirm this as it is possible to see a duff cell, it will look different from the rest.

When was the last time the bike had a proper service? Replace your spark plugs.You might also want to consider replacing the HT leads as these break down over time. This will give your engine a better chance of firing up with a stronger spark.

This is simple stuff and will save you some money at the bike shop. You never know it may well cure the problem. Let us know how you get on.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    When you have done the electrical checks have a look at your carbs to see if there is any crap in the fuel.

Turn your petcok off first. Drain the carb first by undoing slightly the fuel drain srew until the fuel stops coming out. Next remove the bowl from the underside of the carb. If there is dirt in the bottom of the bowl chances are some of it has found its way into the jets and they may be blocked or partially blocked. Clean the crap out of the fuel bowl, remove the jets and blow through the holes with compressed air to remove crap, don't stick something down there otherwise you will stuff the jet up.

You can then think about draining and cleaning out your tank. I put an inline fuel filter on the fuel line between the tank and carbs on my bike to prevent this; they are cheap and you can pick them up from places like Repco.

Let us know how you get on.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Just pull the battery out and check it is sound. Its pointless doing anything until you are 100% sure the battery is OK. Low voltage or a dead cell will screw EVERYthing up!!!

Do yourself a favour - Go to supercheap or repco and buy a small hydrometer and a battery charger. You will use it your whole life it's a good investment.

If doing this is a problem (ie you are unsure) sing out and someone will help you out. Don't keep riding a sick bike - unless it's a Moto Guzzi it won't heal itself!

Cheers

Bike
    1990 ZXR A
    Here is the video to what sound the bike is making, my username is 'Hexnz' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdtr5tfcZCU#GU5U2spHI_4

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Unless the battery is basicly new I wouldntbother with testers n stuff-Throw the battery away and get a new one.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information