Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13 - 19 June: Where did you ride and what did you practise?

Bike
    none
    Saturday 16th June

My 4th road ride! I was feeling more confident as we set out along the North Western to Westgate then on to Kumeu for a coffee. I was trying to concentrate on keeping a constant speed and keeping up with my mentor, on past rides he has told me that he will never go at a speed greater than I can handle safely and that he cant help me or shield me from crazy cages if I am 2 or 3 car lenghts or more behind, so trying to maintain a constant speed was the goal for this ride. I know that everyone says "ride your own ride" but I was going too slow for the conditions (Motorway and open road) and was probably being a danger to myself so I did need to pick up the pace. I did quite well with that on the way to Kumeu and we both arrived there at the same time.

Then we went for a ride along Old North Road which I managed to keep up well and enjoyed immensely, except the big hill before an intersection, which I took in the wrong gear and paid the price when the bike almost died half way up. The lesson I leant here was always try to anticipate and change into the right gear before you go up the hill. Then we came back around some other roads around that way which I didnt know. It was awesome and there were lots of hazards (gravel in the centre of my lane, tar snakes, crap on the road) I safely managed to avoid along the way. I found that I was maintaining a good speed but probably took the corners a lot slower than I needed to. Some of the Roads were unfamiliar territory to me so I backed right off and the plan to keep up kind of went out the window but it was an improvement on the last ride and I'm sure the next one will be an improvement on the last. This was my longest ride and most enjoyable by far.

Sunday 17th June
    A miserable grey rainy morning. I headed off to the RRRS course. The first lesson I learnt was dont leave your visor up in the rain! Rain hurts!

We arrived at the Airbase along with 7 other riders. I think I was probably the most inexperienced and nervous rider there, and it showed, but I did improve a little after each attempt at an exercise and came away with lots to think about and practise. This was an awesome course and there was a good range of riders (both age and experience) and bikes (Style and cc) I love the sound those cruisers make, awesome!

The instructors, Finn, Chris, Gareth and Noel, were great and even though I stuffed most things up on the first run, they were very patient and encouraging. A lot was covered at this course and everything was explained well! I would definitely recommend this course to any newbie/rider.

One lesson I learnt the hard way was that you need to be warm on a cold day. I started the day with a headcold and thought I had dressed warmly enough but I hadnt anticipated the cold breeze at the airbase and although I thought I was dressed for the conditions, I wasnt and got very cold. By the time I got home I was not very well and spent the rest of the day feeling sorry for myself and trying to warm up.

It was an awesome weekend of riding, I learnt so much and my confidence has definitely taken a jump in the right direction.

Bike
    2003 Honda CBR 150

Thumbs up

I went out riding with Buckbuck on Sunday and he took me to some of the roads he used to practise on in Stokes Valley, one of them a particularly steep one! I realised whilst "paddling" down, that I hadn't ridden down a hill before and it wasn't even very steep or long but it scared the s..t out of me! So thanks for that BuckBuck, I now have yet another thing to practise, along with physically turning my head to look behind me instead of just using my mirrors....and, ah yes, using clutch, throttle and rear brake to maintain balance and control during u-turns! See, I did learn something! Thanks BuckBuck, you're a legend out there!

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    my pick for this week, great to have met you on the RRRS course and yeah i could see you were improving heaps even just during the course. also good that you have a mentor/someone to ride with. keep it up and

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Saturday 16th June

My 4th road ride! I was feeling more confident as we set out along the North Western to Westgate then on to Kumeu for a coffee. I was trying to concentrate on keeping a constant speed and keeping up with my mentor, on past rides he has told me that he will never go at a speed greater than I can handle safely and that he cant help me or shield me from crazy cages if I am 2 or 3 car lenghts or more behind, so trying to maintain a constant speed was the goal for this ride. I know that everyone says "ride your own ride" but I was going too slow for the conditions (Motorway and open road) and was probably being a danger to myself so I did need to pick up the pace. I did quite well with that on the way to Kumeu and we both arrived there at the same time.

Then we went for a ride along Old North Road which I managed to keep up well and enjoyed immensely, except the big hill before an intersection, which I took in the wrong gear and paid the price when the bike almost died half way up. The lesson I leant here was always try to anticipate and change into the right gear before you go up the hill. Then we came back around some other roads around that way which I didnt know. It was awesome and there were lots of hazards (gravel in the centre of my lane, tar snakes, crap on the road) I safely managed to avoid along the way. I found that I was maintaining a good speed but probably took the corners a lot slower than I needed to. Some of the Roads were unfamiliar territory to me so I backed right off and the plan to keep up kind of went out the window but it was an improvement on the last ride and I'm sure the next one will be an improvement on the last. This was my longest ride and most enjoyable by far.

Sunday 17th June
    A miserable grey rainy morning. I headed off to the RRRS course. The first lesson I learnt was dont leave your visor up in the rain! Rain hurts!

We arrived at the Airbase along with 7 other riders. I think I was probably the most inexperienced and nervous rider there, and it showed, but I did improve a little after each attempt at an exercise and came away with lots to think about and practise. This was an awesome course and there was a good range of riders (both age and experience) and bikes (Style and cc) I love the sound those cruisers make, awesome!

The instructors, Finn, Chris, Gareth and Noel, were great and even though I stuffed most things up on the first run, they were very patient and encouraging. A lot was covered at this course and everything was explained well! I would definitely recommend this course to any newbie/rider.

One lesson I learnt the hard way was that you need to be warm on a cold day. I started the day with a headcold and thought I had dressed warmly enough but I hadnt anticipated the cold breeze at the airbase and although I thought I was dressed for the conditions, I wasnt and got very cold. By the time I got home I was not very well and spent the rest of the day feeling sorry for myself and trying to warm up.

It was an awesome weekend of riding, I learnt so much and my confidence has definitely taken a jump in the right direction.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    I don't know if this post quite counts, being a little off-topic and more a question than an answer..... however the reason I chose it is that ever since I read it, nearly a week ago, I have been contemplating and wanting to find out what other useful things I should try to attach to my bike in case of disaster.

Anything that helps us think about being prepared is useful, and it is not all in skill and protective clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but what are the most useful tools to have? I've always got my tyre pressure gauge under the seat but nothing else.

I've been wondering what else might come in handy to hide under the waterproof overpants. I know (from bitter experience) that a length of pipe would be handy for syphoning gas either from or to another biker.

EDIT: back on topic - I'm planning to get out of the city this weekend and spend some time on the open road. Have to see how much more stopping I get out of my new front tyre so some emergency braking will be thrown into the mix.

Blog Entries

Selections for 13 to 19 June

This week carbacca and Stella chose Mystery and discotex entries and these have been copied to the Newbie Update Blogg:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/bl...hp?userid=1728

Heads Up and Enjoy

Thread Information