Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchy Glen's VMCC Rd 2!

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack

Sketchy Glen's VMCC Rd 2!

Sketchy Glens VMCC Rd 2

Well, after last rounds crap, with me and my bike, riding and running like shit, I was out to make a point.
    I decided for once in my life, I would get organized, before last second, and get to the track early to get a Pit place.

We arrived at the track shortly after 7:30, even that early, its almost impossible to get a pit bay! Some people just don’t sleep long enough!
    Anywho, we got a pit (me and my dad) and that was sorted. Unloaded the van and got signed in.
    I got my bike sorted and changed the Jets, and taped up the radiator.
    I even tried using tyre warmers for the first time. It was a really cold day, so I figured having some internal tempeature in my tyres was never going to hurt.

Qualifying: MotoGP125

Unfortunately, they organizers were getting things moving along faster that normal (which is great!! Organizers Rule!!) But because I lined up on the dummy grid, I still hadn’t warmed my engine up totally. I was at 30 degrees which is like cold seize material. So for the first two laps I was putting around trying not to rev the motor, but still trying to get some heat into it. Two laps later and I am good to go. In the first lap my mate Sam had passed me looked like he was going to be a force so I wanted to catch back up to him . Haha, and on the last lap I did catch back up and passed him Sorry Sam. It was all good. We mucked around for the last lap.
    I didn’t really know what sort of lap time I would be at. Or where I would have qualified, But I was happy to see that when I went and checked the times, I was 2nd with a 1:20 lap time (two seconds off first)

Qualifying: Super Sport (600s)

I cross entered into super sport for some more track time. Qualifying went well, but it didn’t feel right being out there so I didn’t continue.
    Qualified 14th out of 28 bikes! With a 1:18 lap time. That was a confidence boost as it means I can go as fast as Adam chambers in the 125 class

Race 1: MotoGP125

I’ve changed my gear ratios (internal) back to standard, Which is good for some things, but it means I really compromise my starts.
    I got an OK start, and didn’t loose any places, but I didn’t get Adam off the start.
    I passed him under brakes at higgens, but then he came back and tried to get me back at turn 1.
    He couldn’t make it stick though.
    Then the we caught up to the street stock riders. I went to go around the outside of them at the hair pin, bad judgment, they all ran wide, leaving a nice little door for Adam to go up the inside. Doh
    Never mind. Couldn’t catch him at higgens, nor the sweeper, but got him back at turn 1. Sweet
    He didn’t try anymore passes this race.
    But, about half way through the race, my front suspension turned to shit. Hmm It was very chattery, and wouldn’t give any feel at all.
    Turns out when I got back to the pits, that both my fork seals had blown out, big time. Dumped all the oil, as it was splattered across my fairings. Mmm yummy

Anywho, I Won that race, which was a real buss, as it was the first time I’ve won a 125GP race. Stoaked as. And lap time was a 1:17.2 -- Half a second faster than what I was doing at the nationals!

Race 2: MotoGP125

Got an ok start again. Didn’t lose any places but lost a bit of time on Adam. All good I’ll catch him up.
    He made a mistake at the hairpin, and I got a much better drive and passed him on the exit.
    Then when I thought it was safe, the crazy bugger stuffed it up the inside of me at the sweeper!!!!
    He went past me like I was standing still. MM how embarrassing. Anyway, I swear there was no was he would me able to keep it, and surely he would run wide. Nup the bugger got it!! He got a little gap, and a better exit from the sweeper, so held it and capitalized on it down the straight, but I managed to catch up to him through the infield, then slipstream him enough to hold him down the straight, then passed him under brakes into higgens.
    Anyway, after getting the learn on how to go around the sweeper, I decided id best steal his line, and give it a try. So I came in heaps faster than previous, and then the crazy bugger went around the outside of me, again like I was standing still. Haha, I knew from the second he passed me, there was no hope of him holding that line. He was just going too fast. Sure enough he ran wide, and I kept going. Final lap, he didn’t try anything so crossed the line ahead of him.

WhooHooo!! I can’t believe I won two races in a row. Buzzing out even more!
    Lap time came down to 1:17.5s Which didn’t surprise me. We were battling the whole race.

Race 3: MotoGP125 - the Finale

Well I really screwed this start up. Bogged the bike, and dropped all the way down to 5th. Hmm.
    Not to worry, by the end of lap 1 I was on Adams tail, and passed him exiting turn 1.
    Now, the hair pin.
    Because of my insanely tall first gear, I have to carry as much corner speed as possible, so that I don’t have to slip my clutch coming out. Well. Every lap I was carrying more and more lean angle, and speed. I was hanging off the bike, trying to get my mass closer to the centre of gravity.
    So the lap I passed Adam, I railed around the corner, And far out, I feel my elbow, yes my elbow skim the ground!!! Bizarre! So the next lap. LETS DO THAT AGAIN!!
    Except this time, I came in even hotter, tipped in, elbow down, hit the smallest of bumps and the front said cya later. It was a graceful crash, and the bike would have be sweet to get on and keep going, except when it hit the rumble strip, it made the bike flip and smash the screen, tail fairing and snapped the gear lever, foot peg hanger, and bent the bars.

No more racing. But, I was in first when I came down.

It was kind of cool sitting on the outside of the hair pin. You get a really good view of the exit of the sweeper there and the hair pin. Great fun watching from there!

Overall, I’m happy with the wins, Not disappointed that I didn’t get 1st for the round, to finish first, first you must finish. The vic series is a training ground for me. I don’t learn new thing without giving them a good go. Disappointed I crashed though. Crashing isn’t something I try to do. But I guess when you screw up, the best you can do is take something from it, and learn from it. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and make friends with the guy whose life gave him vodka

C-ya all next round!

-Sketchy Racer

Oh, and anyone with some pics, i would love to see them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glen, VMCC Rd 2 2007.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	63869  

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Nice going mate! Bloody good results. Next time race to finish eh, none of this 'testing' shit during a race.
    Hope you've got more of that green paint.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Haha, Cheers Skunk.

Race maturity will come with experience.
    I was having a ball, and wounldnt change a thing about the day.

-Glen

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Got a pic up now

Bike
    TF125
    Geeez Glen, I'm still pining for the day I manage to get my knee down, never mind my bloody elbow!

Great to see things are coming together for you, keep up the good work.

Bike
    GSX-R600 K6, 07 CBR600RR
    Excellent write-up and congrats on a fine days racing. And pushing the limits there with the elbow...... Were you the guys pitted next to Jason (vtec)?

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Cool!, nice to meet you and see you flying around the track, see ya next time

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Leong View Post
    Excellent write-up and congrats on a fine days racing. And pushing the limits there with the elbow...... Were you the guys pitted next to Jason (vtec)?
    Yes we were pitted next to jase.

Gutted to hear about his off. the last i hear he was at the docs with concussion.

He was back at the track while we packing up (according to dad) And he seemed fine.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    Cool!, nice to meet you and see you flying around the track, see ya next time
    Yeah mate,

Catch ya next time. You racing next meeting?

Bike
    Goose
    You were going really well out there Glen. Felt gutted for you when you crashed though!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    Yeah mate,

Catch ya next time. You racing next meeting?
    Should be at all of them hopefully .

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    wicked shit glenn!!! shame about the bin!! but 2 firsts is awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Cheers mate.

Now.. to buy new stuff.. like fork seals and fork oil, so i don't do a repeat haha..

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Highlight for me of your day (since my job was to track the lead rider) was when you carved up Adam and a streetstocker around the outside in Splash to take the lead. Can't remember which race it was now, but I was thinking "here's another one down" but you made it look easy - sweet move.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Haha, yeah i remember that one.

I feel kinda bad racing so intensly around the streetstock riders. I do my best to not scare them, but in the same token, i don't wanna give away my lead because i have to wait for someone..

To be honest, the streetstock riders were really really good yesterday, they all (but 1 who i would have expected better of) held thier line and didn't do anything dumb.

Cheers Brett, i glad you enjoyed that, and Thanks a million for putting all the time into the club, to make race days like yesterday run as smoothly, and as organised as you guys made it. Its awesome

Thread Information