Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archer's VMCC virginity

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R

Archer's VMCC virginity

Part I, the lead up

The weekend started for me on thursday, running around like a headless chook, worrying about forgeting something for my first race.

Met up with Keystone and Madduc at midday and hit the road. After taking what im sure was the longest way to Feilding, we were finally settled into our motel.

Up nice and early for macdees breaky (why does it always seem like a good idea, but realise it really isnt half an hour later).

Setup up my pits, broke out the new tyre warmers (thanks to the itchy trout team) and tried to figure out how the lap timer works (left the manual at home, dope)

Met some of the other Kiwibiker crew, Nicksta, Death, Affman, Trash, Rusty, cheers to you all for being so friendly, it really helped with the nerves

Since I had never been to mansfield, the plan was to just get a feel for the place and see what sort of laptimes I could manage, after talking to Jill, i really needed to be close to 1:20's.

The first session really didnt feel right, I have a real phobia about right turns, which kinda buggers me for mansfield, and my times showed just how badly I was doing with 1:30's being average

After that the day just got better, with my times coming down to the 1:20's I needed by the third session.

Then early in the afternoon disaster struck, the last couple of laps, my bike was back firing more than usual and seemed to have lost a bit of go, I thought maybee one of the exhaust brackets had come loose and i had an air leek....... close, as soon as I got off the bike the first thing i noticed was the big airgap where my pipe should have been WTF its gone. Then the stories started, the scariest of which was Kickingzebra flying over the pipe with both legs in the air, narowly avoiding the concrete barrier, sorry mate.

Well thinking my weekend was done, I was pretty depressed, I loaded up the busted pipe and went searching in town for help. Luckely the local muffler man managed to sort a solution for me in double quick time, top bloke, unfortunatly sorting it ment a large bright orange coby poking out the ass of my bike, oh well at least i get to race.
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Don't go breaking my avatar bike!

Good on ya for getting out there and doing it.

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R
    Part II, race day

Up nice and early again, macdees again (really bad idea this time)

Setup in one of the stalls, and said howdee to everyone and bumbled through sign-on and riders briefing

By this stage, i am packing myself, I have pee'd half a dozen times already, decided to miss the scrubin session as my tyres were sweet and it was fooken cold.

Qualifing didnt go so well I thought, with a 1:23 and change, ended up 8th in clubmans A, packing myself again over being mid pack for the start.

After checking the grid, it was actually a pretty good spot, on the outside with a clear run to the front, feeling a bit better now.

Time for race 1, packing myself again. grided up, waiting for the green flag, and there it goes, and there i dont, what a balls up, literally everyone goes past me on the start, really pissed off, forget completely about nerves and put my head down, managed to get back to my 8th place by the finish.

Race 2, good to go for this one, green flag goes, and you guessed it, mugged again (must practice starts), worked my way back to 7th this time, but feeling really good by the end and closing fast on the bunch in front (damb, wish the races were longer)

Race 3, starts to rain while on the dummy grid, bugger this is going to be interesting (just watched NickO, Jay and others crash). doing the grid lap, tested gassing it a couple of times, traction seemed ok, plan is just go for it.
    This time green flag goes, and so do I yipee, fith into the first corner, forth by the second and third by the third, worked my way to the front by the end of lap two, oh my god im leading, brake for the corner, OMG im third again (must brake later), by the time I get past the 400 in second and make it stick first has got away from me, BJ on the R6 goes past me under brakes on the last lap (he qualified 5 seconds faster so dont feel so bad), brought it home for a 3rd, so excited i punch the air, forgetting that my kill switch is attached to that arm, bugger what a dick.

Came off the track grinning like an idiot, what an absolute blast, ended the day 4th overall and with my first podium. Cant wait for the next one now
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    Awesome effort Brian! Was great watching you out there. Obviously your highly talented pit crew made all the difference!
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R
    Yes thanks very much to my wonderfull wife and Madduc for all her help too
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Bike
    dirty ns2fiddyr
    Legend mate!!! Bloody good meeting you, and running your exhaust pipe down like a dawg!! LOL
    Boyd hh er Suzuki are my heroes!
    The best deals, all the time!

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Way to go Bryan. Was great to see you improve to the point you forgot the kill switch after your third placing....and next time you need help lifting ya bike call Im there ...i think

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Haha, beauty mate, im loving the whole killswitch/punching air thing.

Nice job on the third place

-Glen

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    Congrats Archer! Taking the lead and coming in on the podium on your first race meet, that's a bloody top effort! Nice write up too, made for good reading. Will be interested to read about your future meets!
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Top result for a first timer, roll on the next meeting
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Well done on the podium finish
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    K3 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    im loving the whole killswitch/punching air thing.
    maybe next time, punch with the other hand.

Sounds like you enjoyed it once all the nerves outta the way.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Awesome result Brian, well done mate, would have loved to be there for it. Good luck for next time, get even better.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    Several
    Great to hear you had fun! there was a bit of that mid-track muffler removal going on...
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    600RR3
    Good stuff Brian!

Don't worry about the starting thing. That was the thing I felt most immediately deficient in at my first race meet. Got the hang of it now, and normally end up burgling a fair few places each time.

Thanks heaps for getting me that roll of heat wrap on the Friday. The rear shock is definitely a lot cooler when I come off because of that.

Catch ya next time.

Phil.

Thread Information