Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Splash'

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    My thoughts on it,

I thought if it was that bad i should have dropped it there because I was pushing the front so hard and not one momment did I get a slip there,

Then I hate to be the one to tell you you can't be going that hard mate.
    It's a notorious corner for tucking the front. Fact. You push too hard there without enough heat in the tyre....you go down. Fact.

Bike
    N/a
    gee

whos this handsome fellow dropping it at splash

http://www.gtp.co.nz/main.php?g2_itemId=125677

Bike
    GSX11-tysomething, BMW K100 x2
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    It's a notorious corner for tucking the front. Fact. You push too hard there without enough heat in the tyre....you go down. Fact.
    Yea Pete, it is. yes, you push there in the wong conditions, and its easy to crash.
    BUT. that wasn't a heat issue. I had just come off warmers, and it was the warmup lap!! The temps the Conti's run, the tyre was warmer there at that point than it ever would be in the race. And the pont where everyone crashing was way earlier than usual. It wasn't in the middle of the corner, like you would expect, it was WAAAAY back, in the braking zone, with the bikes all but upright. The bump there, I think anyway, was setting it off and there happened to be something down on the surface at that point, making a loss of traction and lock up MUCH easier. Crashes all happend at the same point, highlighted by all the bikes stopping at the same point in the gravel.
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRacer37 View Post
    Yea Pete, it is. yes, you push there in the wong conditions, and its easy to crash.
    BUT. that wasn't a heat issue. I had just come off warmers, and it was the warmup lap!! The temps the Conti's run, the tyre was warmer there at that point than it ever would be in the race. And the pont where everyone crashing was way earlier than usual. It wasn't in the middle of the corner, like you would expect, it was WAAAAY back, in the braking zone, with the bikes all but upright. The bump there, I think anyway, was setting it off and there happened to be something down on the surface at that point, making a loss of traction and lock up MUCH easier. Crashes all happend at the same point, highlighted by all the bikes stopping at the same point in the gravel.
    Yeah bad buzz mate! But I wasn't really referring to your biffs.....more so Ivans statement! I'm sure you've got more than a good grasp of Manfields 'secrets'!

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Was ammusing that during the day there were photographers on the sweeper, all over the place...and then all of a sudden there were about 6 photographers all jockeying for position on the exit of Splash! ...obviously there for the money shots (like MOTOXXX's).
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    96 Honda RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTOXXX View Post
    gee

whos this handsome fellow dropping it at splash

http://www.gtp.co.nz/main.php?g2_itemId=125677

haha nice pic , of all the times i've crashed no ones ever taken a photo of the "during" stage of it
    PM me or email me at mail@timmcarthur.co.nz for $45 knee sliders incl GST and shipping

Bike
    96 Honda RS125
    this looks cool (wouldve been a better move if he didnt end up crashing)
    PM me or email me at mail@timmcarthur.co.nz for $45 knee sliders incl GST and shipping

Bike
    GSX11-tysomething, BMW K100 x2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim 39 View Post
    this looks cool (wouldve been a better move if he didnt end up crashing)
    What looks cool? was there a second part to that Tim?
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    96 Honda RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRacer37 View Post
    What looks cool? was there a second part to that Tim?
    hahaha! I cant believe I forgot to add the link... here it is....http://www.gtp.co.nz/main.php?g2_itemId=125749

Bike
    N/a
    lol yea i dropped it in f3 qualifiying right infront of him

still trying to work out why but lesson learned. beware of the lefthand blues at manfield

Bike
    KTL DUCATI 999
    My account of things.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52146

And the reason for crashing 3 times in the one corner....well probably a combination of things really, new tyre in the morning, left side of it still looks shiny even now, only 2 left handers at manfield meaning that side of tyre doesn't get warmth, delay between restarts cooling tyres down even more, track temperature under 10 degrees, crap on the track - I found grip in every other corner but this one & it claimed me & a lot of other riders on the day. Touch wood don't go down there again, 3 times isn't really enough to rename the corner after me is it???!
    KTL Motorcyles - Team Anglo American Ducati www.ducatiracing.co.nz

Bike
    I sold it
    This was the first meeting for alond time i have come out with almost no balling on the front tyre at all . The rear is fine as per normal so i put it down to the cold track and the tyre not getting enough heat into the casing. But i dont use tyre warmers either . Im poor.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Guys --this a VERY old discussion. Splash has been claiming riders since I was racing 250 proddie back in the 80's.
    Hey crasher--its bugged me for months --FINALLY I Figured it out where I knew ya from with your comments about 250 racibng-
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Guys --this a VERY old discussion. Splash has been claiming riders since I was racing 250 proddie back in the 80's.
    Hey crasher--its bugged me for months --FINALLY I Figured it out where I knew ya from with your comments about 250 racibng-
    That's because I'm VERY OLD!
    I didn't race 250's until 1990, and then only until 1991, I got the shits with Kawasaki NZ and road racing full stop.

Up til then....I'd simply sift about on KX500s at the odd street meet.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Why not??!!

Hmm, now I know why you came second.

Lack of confidence in the front end due to not knowing how to set a bike up mate. Feel free to come and make the neccesary adjustments next time, by all means
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information