Thread: Race circuits?

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6

Race circuits?

Well its looking more and more like my wife and i will be settling in the Wellington area when we move from the UK to NZ in July.

We spent a week in NZ a few months back and in that short time i managed to get a few laps in at Pukekohe and also, by chance really, visit the new circuit being constructed at Hampton Downs.

What race tracks are there down Wellington Way and whats within say 2-3 hours drive?

Which tracks are the best in NZ?

Pukekohe looked 'interesting' should we say and i certainly wouldn't want to have an off in some bits

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Taupo and Manfeild are the closest, within a fwe hours drive in the North Island.

http://www.tauporacetrack.co.nz/

http://www.manfeild.co.nz/competitors.asp

Ruapuna is the biggest track in th South Island and is a 3 hour ferry and five hour drive aways.

http://www.canterburycarclub.co.nz/The%20Track/Maps.php

Levels at Timaru, a few hours south of Chch iss another.

http://www.southcanterburycarclub.org.nz/

And Tereatonga is a few more hours South of that, in fact you cant go racing any further South!

http://www.teretonga.org.nz/circuit.htm

Which ones are best?

Puke is unlike due to the inherent danger in racing there.
    Taupo is new but sometimes the surface is "slippy" and people fall off.
    Manfield is a bit old and the surface rough, and one corner "Odermatt" is known to claim many, but is a technical track that makes good races.
    Ruapuna is one of the better ones.

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Yep saslex has it pretty much bang on. There are 6 circuits in NZ that are raced regularly. Manfeild and Taupo are closest to wgtn. Manfeild about 2 hours and taupo about 4. Yes puke is dangerous and isn't that often used by bikes actually. It is however a very cool (and bumpy) circuit and you'd have to give it a go once, that is about 8 hours drive from wgtn.

Then you have the south island circuits, ruapuna (christchurch), levels (timaru) and teretonga (invercargil). First you need to take a 4 hour ferry ride to picton (top of south island). From there you travel down the east cost first to christchurch (4 hours) then another 2 hours is timaru and then another 5 or so hours is teretonga.

In regards to the circuits I'd rate ruapuna and levels as the best two. When manfeild gets resealed (which is supposed to happen in the next few months) will be amongst those. Teretonga is good too, not too long but quite a cool track.

Seeya when you get over here.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Puke is basically two straights with a couple of corners at each end I.E. boring.

Manfeild (otherwise known as Minefield due to the surface) is closest to Wgtn - the short circuit is a bit boring, but the long version is good.

Ruapuna is the shizzle....nice surface and good variety of fast and technical.

I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of Hampton Downs - looks good on paper.

IMO anyway.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by k14 View Post

In regards to the circuits I'd rate ruapuna and levels as the best two. When manfeild gets resealed (which is supposed to happen in the next few months)
    Ruapuna is also up for resealing in August
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    HRC HONDA RS125
    Blog Entries
    Manfld a good circuit let down buy the bumps tho, Taupo very smoth cool circuit but not long enough, these tow are within 5 hous form each other!
    S@M #12

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    There are two popular Annual Street Circuit meetings in the North Island, if you're into that sort of thing. Paeroa, The Hacksaw and Wanganui's Cemetary Circuit. Sorry I dont have pics or links. They are a lot of fun to compete or spectate.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Ruapuna is also up for resealing in August
    I saw in the newsletter it said partial resealing, so wonder what that entails. Hopefully the do the first corner, some nasty bumps through there also the right left after the hairpin would be good.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    There are two popular Annual Street Circuit meetings in the North Island, if you're into that sort of thing. Paeroa, The Hacksaw and Wanganui's Cemetary Circuit. Sorry I dont have pics or links. They are a lot of fun to compete or spectate.
    The Hacksaw or Paeroa http://www.battleofthestreets.co.nz/

The Cemetery Circuit http://cemeterycircuit.co.nz/

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    Hey man. Keep us informed of your arrival in Welly. It's a great city and The Victoria Motorcycle Club is based there try this link.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Latest is that we will be arriving in NZ 21st July and we've rented a house in Cockle Beach, Auckland for three months. My missus starts work on 6th August initially in Auckland but the company has an office in Wellington also and they are keen for us to live there as they like the idea of a senior company person in the wellington office.

We've not been to Wellington but for some reason we think it may suit us better than Auckland so we are planning a trip down to have a look around in the first week when we have to make a decision and tell the shippers in the Uk which ship to throw our kit on.

I'm certainly keen to start making contacts and a club night will be on the list for sure. I have some contacts in the Auckland area for some guys who are racing for the first time soon and hopefully some of their contacts and my results in the UK may mean some sponsorship may be possible in the future?

Very keen now to race in NZ and having won many races in the uk i hope a first win in NZ won't be to far off.......

Bike
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Just a quick reply on the manfield track,lots of work has been done and the surface is great.At the NZGP last weekend at least 3 of the classes broke their respective lap records.Bring on the national bike meet.

Thread Information