Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 survival tips - Read 'em now!

Bike
    Yamaha fzr250, 1988, clean white
    Great first thread to read =D A few things i really haden't thought of in there! Cheers!

Bike
    Yamaha YZF 600. 1995
    All good tips. But as for emergency braking, the best way is lock up the front wheel for a fraction of a second, then release just enough to unlock, then lock, then release just enough to unlock. You'll be amazed at how much more quickly you can stop. But you need to practice it till it becomes a reflex. Cheers David.

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000
    I was behind a friend at what I thought was a good distance, I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. Back to the story, straight piece of road, small dip before a rise, after the rise another very small dip and a road off to the right. A truck was going up the rise as my mate (in front of me with his girl friend on the back) and me were riding down the road, doing around 100 (no faster than 110kph). truck goes over the rise just as my mate starts the dip, truck brake lights go on and right indicator. My mate in the dip moves to the right of the lane to pass the truck not being able to see the indicator or brake lights of the truck (mate did not slow), mate got to the rise ready to over take got to the top, saw the brake and indicator lights, braked hard swerved left to go round the truck (the road ahead was clear and the brake lights came off.) I got to the top of the rise to see his brakes come on again just before he went into the back of the truck, as it did not move asfast as he thought. Both died instantly. I braked and stopped where he hit the truck (it had moved by the time I got there) leaving a 30m skid mark (Police after testing said I was doing 90 when I hit the brakes, using both front and rear). I am sharing this with you cos you never know, on a bike you have split seconds to make a choice, sometimes between life and death. Someone commented about riding around blind corners at a speed at which you can stop before an obstacle, well that goes for straight roads too. After watching my mate and his partner die, I have done a bronze rider course, something that I think taught me things and helped me to reinforce what I was doing (on the bike) To survive ride like you haven't been seen, like everyone is out to get you..... lol heck know your limits and how to react. there are advanced rider courses that you can you and if you think you know everything well YOU dont!! Keep the rubber down

Bike
    2010 Thunderbird
    Fine advice as statistics are against us , ride safe only the stupid die young

Bike
    2010 Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by roado View Post
    good stuff should have read it before i stacked it into a parked car & watch out for local farmers stoped in the middle of rural roads having a chat came round a corner straight into the back it wasnt that fun
    Aint that the truth could of been worse could of been a tractor

Bike
    95 honda cbr900rr 05 zx6rr 89gsxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
    Awesome advice, I just have a question about this one:

I have been advised not to ride with my hand over the brake because it means not so much control on the throttle?
    Maybe it doesn't make as much difference when you have bigger hands, but for me it seemed the choice was either to cover the brakes and have only the space between thumb and first finger left for throttle, or curl my hand around and actually be in charge of my speed.

Any comments?
    2 fingers on the brake lever especially in built up areas , if you can't stop the bike with 2 fingers bleed your brakes

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    when was the last time you heard of some cager pulling out in front of an 18 wheeler?
    I've seen it happen on the Southern Motorway - the truck driver hit brakes + air horn, I don't think he was happy.

My tip - assume every other motorist on the road got kicked out of the looney bin for being a danger to all the other patients and don't rule out any action they may take no matter how crazy they would have to be to do it. It's your life, be prepared to take any evasive action required to continue living.

Yesterday I was filtering through traffic on the motorway and a short distance ahead someone started changing lanes, I braked and because the cars were moving so slow I had to almost stop while I waited for the car to finish their lane change. Had I been filtering too fast I could have had a problem stopping, had I tried to go around the lane changing driver it could have been pretty dodgy. Sometimes a little care and patience is better than a broken bike & broken bones. Stay alert and be prepared to slow or stop quickly.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Bicycle
    One thing missing I think is to ride in the right-hand wheel track in your lane (or even behind the mirror of the car in front). Thats advice I remember from 25yrs ago thats helped me `to see and be seen'.
    Also, now I minimize the time I spend riding in traffic i.e. no commuting, no everyday city riding, and staying off the busy state highways if I can help it. Also riding a bit quicker than cars helps you keep away from them (officer...)

Bike
    GN250
    I still remember the first tip I received. Ride to Survive.

Bike
    None yet
    Fantastic advice ! I think I will read this a few times over just to absorb it

Bike
    Suzuki Sv650s
    Quote Originally Posted by svr View Post
    One thing missing I think is to ride in the right-hand wheel track in your lane (or even behind the mirror of the car in front). Thats advice I remember from 25yrs ago thats helped me `to see and be seen'.

I almost failed my restricted liscence test for doing that. I wasnt riding stupidly close to the centre line or anything, but the officer told me it was dangerous and that I should stay as far left as possible, because that is what the roadcode says. I tried to explain to the testing officer that it was a well established method for being seen, and that it is recommended in the roadcode, but I think that annoyed him. I played nice and let him lecture me as passing was more important than being right at that point!

Still seems a little crazy to me that the testing officer could have no clue what the motorcycle road code says and yet still be allowed to hand out liscenses!

Bike
    rocket 3
    Blog Entries
    cheers , read them all , nough said ,thanks.

Bike
    Honda VTR250 2002
    If you keep the front brake lever covered at all times, it does speed up your braking response, but you still need to think before you jab it. The first time I had to brake in a great hurry I jabbed the front brake immediately; I missed the hazard by nosediving into the pavement instead. I perfer now to keep my right hand securely on the throttle, the extxra half-second it takes me to reach and grab the brake gives me time to balance the bike and apply the rear brake as well. YMMV though.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R 2007

Smile Thanks

Thanks For the advice, very helpfull.

Bike
    2007 Honda CB250F

cofused

uhm... am I supposed to ride on the left side of my lane, the right side or the middle?
    Here in germany I was taught to ride in the middle of the lane, but to take the the sides when turning at an intersection...

good advices though I've heard them all over and over again... they are true!

Thread Information