Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 survival tips - Read 'em now!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by charlymelon View Post
    uhm... am I supposed to ride on the left side of my lane, the right side or the middle?
    Here in germany I was taught to ride in the middle of the lane, but to take the the sides when turning at an intersection...

good advices though I've heard them all over and over again... they are true!
    I don't know about Germany but here enough of our trucks leak profuse amounts of oil and shit always that it builds up in the middle of the lane, especially at intersections where they've slowed down. The sides of the lane have been swept clear by the tyres of cars and so tend to offer better grip.

If you're riding in the left of your lane cars will think you're pulling over and try to overtake you. The right of the lane is where a driver sits in a car and is supposedly where you're most likely to be seen and respected as a valid road user.

BTW, just in case you didn't already know we drive on left hand side of the road like in Britain here.

Bike
    2008 Street Bob
    uhm... am I supposed to ride on the left side of my lane, the right side or the middle?
    Here in germany I was taught to ride in the middle of the lane, but to take the the sides when turning at an intersection...

Hi there, welcome to Kiwibiker & NZ! Where you ride in a lane is dependent on you and your riding skills, I tend to stick to the right hand side of the lane if I am in the right lane and the left if I am in a left lane, this way I create a nice space barrier between me and car driver and allows me enough time to react/hoot when one of them comes into the lane.
    I ride the dirt, I ride the tide
    I search the outside, search inside
    I know I'll always burn to be
    Remind me of what left this outlaw torn
    ~ The Outlaw Torn (Metallica: Load 1996)

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    I would not presume to be an expert but when following cars I have noticed when sitting in their RH track they seem to drift R till they are nearly on the centreline at which point I switch to the LH track until they drift left then go back to RH unless there is lots of oncoming traffic which makes me nervous as dont like to be that close to cars coming the other way. This may be a south auck driver thing

Bike
    2007 Honda CB250F

left, right, middle

thanks, didn't think of the dirt in the middle, but that makes perfect sense.
    yep, I already knew that it's the left side over there. but still, at an intersection, the vehicle goes first, that's coming from the right... right?

Bike
    ZX10R ZZR1100 KLR650
    Thank you Outlawtron, a far better article than some guidelines I recently read.

I must pick up one of those deer whistle's for my bike
    Authorised K-tech Sales and Service.
    http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/Sus...#mcnzstocklist

Bike
    R100GSPD

depends...i tend to ride just the right of centre on a two lane road and just left of centre on a dual lane road.....but just right of centre on the outside lane of a dual lane.I always try to make myself visible to turning vehicles when approaching an intersection.

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
    try doubling that speed and have the front blow out just as im approaching a corner........ now thats scary. (even kept it upright) ...gentle braking and much buttock cheeck clenching worked in that situation.
    Mate your seat must have had bite marks on it after that one...

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Another informative post Thankyou, fortunatly alot of this is common scence and practise... It pays for this to be a mini biker bible. I myself prefer to get it right before twisting the throttle back and risking my own and every one elses lives and reputations! I will be refering this to alot of friends who think they are God (I wonder why they spend so much on plastic parts for there bikes???)

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    I don't know about Germany but here enough of our trucks leak profuse amounts of oil and shit always that it builds up in the middle of the lane, especially at intersections where they've slowed down. The sides of the lane have been swept clear by the tyres of cars and so tend to offer better grip.

If you're riding in the left of your lane cars will think you're pulling over and try to overtake you. The right of the lane is where a driver sits in a car and is supposedly where you're most likely to be seen and respected as a valid road user.

BTW, just in case you didn't already know we drive on left hand side of the road like in Britain here.
    Good advise I have seen this first hand, saw a bus pulling on to the motorway show early signs of a blown engine, sadly another biker did not and followed (although a few cars back but still infront of me) onto the on ramp and did not stay upright after hitting the oil it had suddenly dumped behind him, poor guy he was OK but bike could have done without the impromptue rest (I still question the bus drivers call to continue on to the motorway as it was one of the old school ones that winds 360 degrees on to motorway making it impossible for people who hadnt seen the bus puffing plooms of smoke to know there was danger) the lane was then blocked for an hour while the police waited for someone to clean the oil up.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Survival tip 101 - Ignore all advice from Dangerousbastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    95 Honda VT250 Magna
    I've been riding for a little over a month and found this very helpful, thanks.

Bike
    honda magna
    hey all
    just bumping this one as we all should read it no matter what exp we have
    b

Bike
    Kate
    First time for ages rode in with the ipod yesterday morn, first time I had had noise cancelling ear phones. When I got to work I chucked it in the bag a fished out the foam ear plugs. Then I saw the bump on this post. I relate to the item 'leave the iPod at home. Found I was riding more to the music than the traffic.

Bike
    DRZ400SM

Awerness

Great post, good insights specially for someone that is starting now.

my 2 pennies:
    one of the things i learnt from my father was to be fully aware of your surround, all the time! cars, people, animals. everything. know who is behind you, use your mirrors!

it requires a lot of concentration at first and with time it becomes second nature.

i kind of create profiles of whoever is around me:

old lady on the red car to the right (you know how she drives and what to expect)
    racer boy behind the red car (mmm this one might try some quick direction change or whatever)
    the guy ahead of me is looking lost, he might figure it out he needs to get the next left. (complete oblivious to the traffic)
    mumy with children in the car, etc etc.
    you get the idea right?

peace

Bike
    suzuki gsxr
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by roado View Post
    good stuff should have read it before i stacked it into a parked car & watch out for local farmers stoped in the middle of rural roads having a chat came round a corner straight into the back it wasnt that fun
    have been riding for 30=years myself its always good to have a read of this to remind our selfs were not bullet proof,weekend just gone had a funny feeling and changed my rout and came back the normal way i would have.Sore a accadent and read it in the paper.
    Guy on motorbike died.......yip it was the car turnning right on the highway that killed him,belive he was 54yr.
    BE CARE OUT THERE PEOPLE....

Thread Information