Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 survival tips - Read 'em now!

Bike
    2000 A1 Kawasaki ZX-12R

Thumbs up refreshing read

this is a refreshing read, I can think of situations where every one of these tips can be applied and situations where every one of these tips could or should have been applied.. I especially appreciate the one about keeping your head and not riding mad, sad, anxious, distracted or upset as those situations tend to raise the most vocal warnings of "ride safe" from my partner whose words tend to make me think again before I go mental at the person who just cut me off whilst talking on their cellphone and not looking nor indicating as they enter the traffic stream.. great post, cheers

Bike
    Piaggio Zip 2T 2010
    Great tips! Now to get out there and practice, practice, practice

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN125
    These are great!!!
    As a new rider, you have no idea how helpful these are!!

Bike
    GSX-R600 '09
    Great thread. Have been almost caught out many times expecially at the lights, not sure if it is Wellington drivers only but they are terrible.

Have to be especially careful of busses as they dislike indicating and just pull out in front of anybody. Bus pulled in front of me when I was next to him going around basin reserve
    and I was pushed onto the foot path, am still unsure how I stayed on. Tend to keep as much distance as I can now.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RuoskaNZ View Post
    Great thread. Have been almost caught out many times expecially at the lights, not sure if it is Wellington drivers only but they are terrible.

Have to be especially careful of busses as they dislike indicating and just pull out in front of anybody. Bus pulled in front of me when I was next to him going around basin reserve
    and I was pushed onto the foot path, am still unsure how I stayed on. Tend to keep as much distance as I can now.
    yeah but remember they have to move the bus as its blooddy long to make the corner , gee you bike awsome mate

is it 750 or 1000 gsxr just looked at you bike pics very cool

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=outlawtorn;1105434]Found this article and thought it might be good to spread the knowledge.

Thanks I broke few to many of those rules last week esp patience one and neraly cost me big time

Bike
    GSX-R600 '09
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    yeah but remember they have to move the bus as its blooddy long to make the corner , gee you bike awsome mate

is it 750 or 1000 gsxr just looked at you bike pics very cool
    Was a straight section of 2 lane road, was alongside him he just changed lane straight into me on my ninja. I bumped off him and managed to hop the curb onto the footpath.
    Still got no idea how I stayed on, didnt even manage to get the bus number, contacted the bus company and they pretty much told me to piss off unless I had evidence, good times.

Thanks, it is just a 600 aye, was not too keen to go too big as I am not all that experienced or physically big.
    600 is plenty enough for me though, life savings gone lol.

Bike
    Honda Hornet
    Great read. Have read it a few times now. Yet to master the slow u-turn. Practice makes perfect

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    this is a great post, I loved reading it, so basically use commonsense, which it seem most people lack, ok I get it

I agree about the whole helmet thing too, I know that sometimes when the helmet goes on a lot of this stuff goes out the window, I really need to strive to be a better person on the bike. I hope thats the case now that I am older, a lot older lol lol

Bike
    2012 Honda GL1800
    Don't let your throttle hand write a cheque that your skill level can't cash.
    "Live to ride another day."
    bisonmotorcyclesafetyconsultants.webs.com

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Just re-read this and forwarded the link to my daughter who has just become a biker.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2008 Honda CBF, HD Sportster
    Great read...

Bike
    Yamaha
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Oh, so just buying a decent jacket helmet boots gloves pants…. isn't going to save YOUR life? sheesh man, why even bother! bit like the saftyu belt that killed the driver.
    How do i delete my KB account?

Bike
    ZZR 250

My 5c

This thread reminds me of an incident I had ten years ago. I had just picked up the girl friend of the time and two of her friends (in a car, not a Cambodian scooter) and came to a T intersection controlled by a light. I was approaching the red light from the bottom of the T and was turning right. As the light turned green I hesitated slightly as there was a truck turning turning towards me and I couldn't see past it. In the time I hesitated after the light was green a car full of what I'd describe politely as 'young idiots' blasted through their red light on my right hand side (going around the outside of the truck). If I had taken off when the light was green we would have been hit in the driver or passenger side door at >70kph (it was a 50 zone but they were flying, or trying to) and no doubt would have received injuries or worse. If I was on a bike I have no doubts it would have been fatal.

So moral of the story is that there is no point rushing a green light, and there are plenty of idiots on the road. I always think of this incident when I'm on the bike.

Also after driving around Europe recently I realise how easy it is to end up on the wrong side of the road without thinking.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AGC73 View Post
    ...As the light turned green I hesitated slightly as there was a truck turning turning towards me and I couldn't see past it...

So moral of the story is that there is no point rushing a green light, and there are plenty of idiots on the road. I always think of this incident when I'm on the bike..
    So ride like everyone else is trying to kill you - a well used phrase on here, and it pays to NEVER assume that the way is clear when you can't see.
    Sounds like you learned an important lesson. Do remember it.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Thread Information