Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 50 survival tips - Read 'em now!

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All sounds to me like (a) protect your "bubble" (b) always have an escape path in mind (c) ride like everyone is out to kill you and (d) ride like everyone is out to kill you.
    Almost.

This discussion is all about how big your bubble needs to be.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    This discussion is all about how big your bubble needs to be.
    The answer to that is easy - big enough.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mouldy View Post
    2 fingers on the brake lever especially in built up areas , if you can't stop the bike with 2 fingers bleed your brakes
    What's with all the bad advice about "covering the brakes" - using 2 fingers all the time or even 1 finger? Setting your brakes to brake with two fingers may set you up for a "really fucked up day" if you grab the brake in an emergency.

Watch Jerry "Motorman" Palladino, look at his fingers, listen to what he says VERY carefully about WHEN you should cover the brake.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    What's with all the bad advice about "covering the brakes" - using 2 fingers all the time or even 1 finger? Setting your brakes to brake with two fingers may set you up for a "really fucked up day" if you grab the brake in an emergency.

Watch Jerry "Motorman" Palladino, look at his fingers, listen to what he says VERY carefully about WHEN you should cover the brake.
    sounds like you prefer 3 or more

Bike
    GB250 Cafe
    All very useful. I remember my uncle Mike telling me when I got my L plates that I needed to assume everybody wanted to kill me, but that they had to make it look like an accident.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Thanks for the post, a good read and some good humor too!

Bike
    2011 Honda CBR 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Since most of those tips videos aren't NZ, they usually assume US conditions. He wouldn't indicate to cover the brake when lane splitting, as he's assuming that's illegal where his audience is.

I cover the brakes when lane splitting, as that's a situation where you are in constant hazard. As I bike primarily for commuting, I spend more time covering the brake than not, and still abiding by Jerry's advice. Of course, with that habit built, sometimes I end up covering when not lane splitting, but usually I'll notice and take a more relaxed grip.

Covering is better than not covering. As for those who mentioned poor throttle control when covering, that just means you don't have enough experience covering. It's like left-foot braking in a car. Complaints about poor control are only ever by people who are not experts in the technique. Those of us who have covered brakes for hundreds of thousands of km have as good or better throttle control when covering than not.

I paid attention to this on the way home today. I make a fist when covering the brake. Since the fingers aren't curling, the thumb curls up to meet them This rolls the throttle all I need. It's hard to get 100% throttle with that technique, but the times I've needed 100% throttle while covering the brake is zero. And if you really want to do it, just turn your wrist while making the fist, the fingers will slip off the brake lever, and you are back to the "normal" grip position. Nothing lost.

And yes, braking instantly while lane splitting has saved me. So cover when lane splitting, even if Jerry doesn't give it as an example of a good time to cover.

Thread Information