Thread: Spacers between carb and intake

Bike
    1987 TZR250 1KT

Spacers between carb and intake

Hey just curious on my mate's motorbike which i've just got running again its got these hideous homemade spacers between the carburetor and the intake. If you know what I mean skip the next paragraph:

To give a little more detail you have the rubber sock that the carburetor slips into with a screw-clamp on the end but instead of the sock screwing onto the cylinder side the previous owner has placed a 1/2 inch thick rubber spacer between the face and the sock.

I was just wondering how this affects performance, say if I were to remove it?

The bike is a mess of parts - its a GSXR250 frame with a GF250(out of a GS250FW) engine with the carburetors off of a GSX250F.
    euch.

Also as an aside could anyone give me a rough expected price range for a set of new jets (4 cylinder).

Cheers
    Carl
    Last edited by Patryn999; 24th June 2007 at 21:21. Reason: Duh how did that S get in there? Its a GS250FW (removed extra S on end)

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Longer intakes usually result in a milder engine response - shouldn't affect top end too much. Why the hell it was done to that engine I wouldn't know.

Removing them would be fine if they weren't meant to be there in the first place. How does the engine run now?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1987 TZR250 1KT
    Its back to running ok now. Just ever so slightly lean and it has a spluttery flat response about half way through the rev-range but its got ok low down and ok high. (engine's not really a preformer )

Bike
    So old you won't care
    the spacers usually insulate the carb from the heat of the engine as well and providing the correct inlet tact length.

Bike
    1987 TZR250 1KT
    To clarify the problem it feels like a hard stumble (splutter) about halfway through revs (cant really tell cause it doesn't have a tacho at the moment) which I would've thought was a richness problem but if you kill it and whack out the spark plugs they're faintly white which means lean. Tried raising needles which oddly enough helped the top-end but not much in the middle.

Bike
    1987 TZR250 1KT
    Cheers paul but could you clarify the "inlet tact length"?
    Is there usually any indication of this in the service manuals cause i've got a couple floating around here.

Cheers

Bike
    Honda PC800
    If Imreading ya right I suspect that the home made kit was so the bike would run. Given the motors from a different bike I wouldn't be suprised if the carbs are too.
    Re the Jetting -again ONLY going by what you are saying I suspect the bikes got an issue runningup onto the Main jets.You might wanna try raising the needles a tadd either by puttingthemone clip lower or tiny nspacing washers--If that doesn't work then maybee ya could go up one size in main jets
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information