Thread: GSR600 O2 Sensor

Bike
    Honzakiyamacatirillia Guzzi

GSR600 O2 Sensor

Found a link that explains a DIY O2 sensor eliminator that helps to stop the fuel switching on the GSR600. I'm going to sort it out tonight and will post feedback on here for othr GSR owners that have found the same thing.

(then I'm going to stick my homemade TRE on and see how that goes too)
    "Speak in short, homely words of common usage"

Bike
    1910 Hendry
    Quote Originally Posted by TempBJ View Post
    Found a link that explains a DIY O2 sensor eliminator that helps to stop the fuel switching on the GSR600. I'm going to sort it out tonight and will post feedback on here for othr GSR owners that have found the same thing.

(then I'm going to stick my homemade TRE on and see how that goes too)
    And the link is..........
    cheers

Bike
    Yeah, guess that would help:

http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38072

Found it after trawling the GSR forum:

http://www.suzuki-gsr.co.uk

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like bollix to me.
    On most EFI bikes the O2 sensors are 'eliminated' by unplugging the sensor and plugging a resistor of the appropriate value across the plug. This fools the ECU into thinking that the exhaust gas is showing a perfect stoichiometric ratio and so it doesn't bother with 'closed loop' mode. Usually if you just fiddle with the wires, it will result in an EFI error.
    Maybe GSXR600s have weird sensors or summat...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Yeah, another thread mentions the use of a resistor, but then this oz fella has tested his change over 180km or the like so maybe the o2 sensor on the gisser is a pisser.

Stiochiometric???? fucken tosser

From my understanding of electronics (was my profession too long ago) I'm never a fan of 0 ohm loopbacks when a sensor is involved so I will make some measurements first. However the cowboy in me says as long as it doesnt feck anything there's no harm in trying and the fuel switching on the gisser is pretty rough.

I'm going to stick a 2k2 ohm resistor in line with the gear sensor to do a diy TRE. Will post feedback on this also (I already know this will set my gear indicator on 5 but I'm not that fussed...thats what my hearing is for).

Yeah, another thread mentions the use of a resistor, but then this oz fella has tested his change over 180km or the like so maybe the o2 sensor on the gisser is a pisser.

From my understanding of electronics (was my profession too long ago) I'm never a fan of 0 ohm loopbacks when a sensor is involved so I will make some measurements first. However the cowboy in me says as long as it doesnt feck anything there's no harm in trying and the fuel switching on the gisser is pretty rough.

I'm going to stick a 2k2 ohm resistor in line with the gear sensor to do a diy TRE. Will post feedback on this also (I already know this will set my gear indicator on 5 but I'm not that fussed...thats what my hearing is for).

Should be a 15ohm resistor to tell its in 6th or a 6.8 ohm to tell its in 5th, well rest of gsxr models are like that(my 04 600, which your bike uses same motor),

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries

Why, thank you for kind words, Sir.
    It's stoichiometric, by the way.
    Let me rephrase it for you.
    "This fools the ECU into thinking that the exhaust gas is showing a neither rich nor lean engine fueling condition, in that the oxygen content indicates that all the fuel has been burnt completely: all the carbon has been converted to carbon dioxide/monoxide, all the hydrogen to H2O, and all the sulphur to SO2 and so it doesn't bother with 'closed loop' mode."
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    Should be a 15ohm resistor to tell its in 6th or a 6.8 ohm to tell its in 5th, well rest of gsxr models are like that(my 04 600, which your bike uses same motor),
    Yeah, I had read that somewhere but loas the link. I bought a 2k2 and 6k8 ohm resistor today so that I could check it and action it tonight. Have you made the change? Notice any difference? Do the gixxers suffer from hefty fuel switching too? Whats the average gestation period for the three toed sloth?

Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Why, thank you for kind words, Sir.
    It's stoichiometric, by the way.
    Let me rephrase it for you.
    "This fools the ECU into thinking that the exhaust gas is showing a neither rich nor lean engine fueling condition, in that the oxygen content indicates that all the fuel has been burnt completely: all the carbon has been converted to carbon dioxide/monoxide, all the hydrogen to H2O, and all the sulphur to SO2 and so it doesn't bother with 'closed loop' mode."
    Looks likes wes gots oursels u READUR!!! Nice info vifferman I was going to look this up tonight when I had more time, but got the general gist

Bike
    Jobs done. First off I read the netrider link...found the sensor connector and took the ECU side wires out. The signal wire wasnt a white/orange trace, but a white/green trace which I am assuming is the diff between coutries. I looped the heater wires, together and taped them up along with the earth wire and left the signal wire in. Then put the plug back together and turned the bike on....to get the FI light flashing....bugger

So then I read the instructions again and thought; hang on, did they mean loop the sensor side??? Thought through it and then read the GSR forum thread and saw the bit about the ignition surround being the arial for the ignition disabler. Put the surround back and bingo.

Will test it tomorrow and post feedback on here

Bike
    Bugger, missread the instructions and isolated the earth rather than the signa wires....doh! Switched tonight and will test and post back here tomorrow.

Bike
    Bike has definately improved, with much less fuel switching.

Next comes the DIY TRE this weekend. Will post back again post test.

Bike
    oh, to clarify the posts that I went to:

1. Take out and insulate the signal wire (on mine a white wire with green trace).
    2. Take out the heater wires on the ECU side of connector and loop together and insulate.

Jobs done. If you want the full story, let me know and I will post with as good a wiring diagram I can muster

Thread Information