Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scooters versus motorcycles

Bike
    2020 BMW R1250R and 2011 C182T

Hi Kaz

Lots of differing opinions huh!

I went from one extreme to the other - had a BMW K100RS then brought a T-Rex 150, which I really enjoy. Like you I commute 16km each way per day. The main reason for buy a scoot was cost. Not so much the initial outlay but the on going costs. My Beemer cost me about $1000 per year regardless of the number of km's I did in fixed costs. The scoot is quite a bit cheaper. Everyone a work that rides a bike gives me heaps and they get it in return. Like one of the other guys said before it's up to you. Buy it for your reasons not someone elses. Some people are obsessed with speed, but like it or not 50k is the speed limit and the T-Rex will buzz around town easily at 60-70km/hr.

Around town scoots are faster that cars in the traffic and that has to be a plus at the end of the day. Let us know if you want any info on the T-Rex. BTW I don't sell them so I am unbiased as I can be!

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    I am tempted to try the GN250 too, especially after the comments recommending it (and recommending I just try different things). My only hesitation is that I actually haven't ridden a bike with gears before (except my pushbike!) so I'm not sure how keen they'll be to let me take the bike out. Maybe if I showed them my HT license ; )
    Go for it mate, GN250 will give you ample power for the 50's and 70's... not so much the 100's but it can do it if you must.

P.S. Motorcycle dealers should be happy to help you, I got to test ride my GPX250R before I purchased it (Brand spankin new) and I showed my license 1L,6L and the sales rep was cool with that, You just have to sign a form saying you are liable for the excess if you crash it. And the "I agree to go a maximum of ___ kilometers" left blank, I did 17. haha

If you can drive a manual car, You should be able to adapt pretty easily once you learn where all the controls are, When you jump on it, click it into first gear and practice letting the clutch in and out until you find the engage, don't stall of course. On mine it's approximately the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the lever. From there on you should be sweet, and remember from the bottom it's 1, N, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 on some bikes. When you are moving you cant really select neutral (its a half click) so when starting, click down to 1 and then up to 2 with a full click. When coming to a stop click all the way down and when you have completely stopped click up again and you'll hit neutral. (You'll know you have neutral because you'll see a green light on your dash with N on it).

Thats all there is to it really, Sorry if you feel I may be talking down to you as I don't know what you know or don't know.

P.S. Don't let the bike scare you, if you're confident it will show.

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by dyers View Post
    Try all bikes. Its fun. Even if you don't want to buy them. I always loved the look of choppers but I tried one a week ago and it was very uncomftable. Likewise with sports bikes. I don't like my family jewels crunched and don't like feeling like I'm trying to take a crap while leaning forward and holding a towel rack. But you won't know what you like until you try.
    haha yeah i have to hold my nuts before mounting or they do get crunched, i like your analogy of the cruiser. funny.

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    round cbd scooters ftw. or else anything faster in traffic an fxr150. faster and lighter than a gn250 and not made in china at the moment fo rnewer ones lol. it also does phat wheelies and stoppies if you try hard enough, and can go two up and do at least 130 real speed.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by delusionz View Post
    Go for it mate, GN250 will give you ample power for the 50's and 70's... not so much the 100's but it can do it if you must.
    Took mine down to Hamilton last weekend. 100 to 110 most of the way and the weather was shitty to say the least (wet roads and a very strong cross wind). I even managed to keep it at 100k back up the Bombay hill.

Also, I commute on the Auckland motorway daily at times when the traffic is free flowing.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2014 Triumph Street Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by delusionz View Post
    Thats all there is to it really, Sorry if you feel I may be talking down to you as I don't know what you know or don't know. P.S. Don't let the bike scare you, if you're confident it will show.
    No worries, delusionz, I appreciate the lesson in bike gearing! I didn't know how it worked but I am quite mechanically minded and also quite good on the hand-eye co-ordination so I'll give it a go. My bro in auckland still hasn't confirmed if I can take his GN250 out next week when I visit but I'm sure he will as he now has some kind of Ducati Death Machine (actually it looks big and absolutely beautiful but he doesn't have proper riding gear or much experience

Anyway, despite my horrible cold I passed my restricted license test about 10 minutes ago so I'm having a celebratory torching of the L plate tonight

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo2 View Post
    I went from one extreme to the other - had a BMW K100RS then brought a T-Rex 150, which I really enjoy. Like you I commute 16km each way per day. The main reason for buy a scoot was cost. Not so much the initial outlay but the on going costs. My Beemer cost me about $1000 per year regardless of the number of km's I did in fixed costs. The scoot is quite a bit cheaper. Everyone a work that rides a bike gives me heaps and they get it in return. Like one of the other guys said before it's up to you. Buy it for your reasons not someone elses. Some people are obsessed with speed, but like it or not 50k is the speed limit and the T-Rex will buzz around town easily at 60-70km/hr.

Around town scoots are faster that cars in the traffic and that has to be a plus at the end of the day. Let us know if you want any info on the T-Rex. BTW I don't sell them so I am unbiased as I can be!
    Hi Pogo2, it was interesting to hear the difference in maintenance/running costs between your BMW and T-Rex. I wonder if the difference would be similar between a smaller bike and scooter?

I really liked a lot of things about the T-Rex but I am still a little bugged by the riding position. And I have to admit to something kinda dumb here: I think that because the scooter I have now was/is my first scooter and therefore special, I think I want my next scooter to be special (more special than just going faster ) And something about the T-Rex feels a bit utilitarian in comparison to the groovy curves of the Mio.

I've always been attached to my cars too over the years - my first car was a 1965 Fiat Crusader (red leather seats and twin carbs), and my second was a 1971 Ford Falcon stationwagon, then there was a 1972 Peugeot 404, then a Datsun 120Y... What can I say, I grew up an Auckland Westie chick...

Ok, enough of the vehicle romance. So the T-Rex - does that deep bucket pocket around the front fill up with water when it rains? What is the engine cut-out switch useful for?

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    My 50cc insurance was $170/year for $2000 value and my 250cc insurance is $1170/year for $7300 value. Petrol on my 50cc was roughly 8L of 91 for 350+ kms, Petrol for my 250cc is roughly 18L of 95 for 300kms. Did my own maintainance and repairs on my 50cc, Time will tell how much money I'll be spending on maintaining my 250cc, Not sure yet.

Bike
    2020 BMW R1250R and 2011 C182T

Yo Westie chick

Ok, enough of the vehicle romance. So the T-Rex - does that deep bucket pocket around the front fill up with water when it rains? What is the engine cut-out switch useful for?[/QUOTE]

In answer to your questions I have to admit that I have never ridden in heavy rain but I guess to opportunity is there for it to collect some water. I'm yet to find out if there are any drain holes in the pocket.

As far as the cut out switch is concerned I believe it is there as a safety device. If you have a bin then the friendly passer by can stop your engine. Their on all motorbikes and I guess some scoots as well.

Hope this helps!

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    A bike will almost always cost more to run than a scooter of a similar size. And for those who don't believe that scooters can be ridden long distances, I assure you they can. In the 2005 Southern Cross there was a Piagio 400 which did the entire 4800 km in 120 hours along with the rest of us.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Ride both, and if you can get a good ride on the GN250 then do so. Choose the style that suits you best.
    Time to ride

Bike

Peugeot Jetforce 125

Wow. I just test rode the Peugeot Jetforce 125.

It's not like riding a scooter. The fuel tank is between your legs and the centre of gravity is much lower. You are also sitting higher than a scooter and get a great view of the traffic (I am comparing to the PGO T-Rex 150 and the Vespa ET4 150). The brakes are awesome (disks front and back plus ABS on front).

It feels fantastic to ride. But I've seen some really bad reviews here:
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews9808.html
    they mostly say that when it's running, it's remarkably fuel efficient and lovely to ride. But that there have been heaps of problems with the fuel injection, ignition, etc. and it sounds like very poor service from Peugeot. All the reviews are from 2003-2005; maybe Peugeot have got their act together since then. Or maybe not?

Has anybody else ridden these or owned one? I'm going to post this to a new thread too to find anyone who might own one. I was almost ready to buy one but then I saw those reviews...

Bike
    01 Triumph TT600
    So thats halfway to a bike... While you're looking you may as well go the whole way and ride a GN250 and a FXR150
    Last thing you want is to buy something then try something else a month later and be kicking yourself for not trying it earlier.

From your previous post you seem to be liking alot of the features a true motorbike has...

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Smile

Or maybe try riding a virago 250..... they are also great to ride.
    Great for around town and also out in the country.
    There will be one in a bike shop down there in the Wellington area.

(one in my profile picture and one in my avatar)

Bike
    Heavily modified L7 pocketbike
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Get the PGO with NOS and a turbo
    then you might be as quick and nimble as the average 150 road bike

Good idea for sure friend!

I wonder if to have the absolute BEST of both worlds here Kaz could just get a very small motorcycle, powered by a scooter engine (more of less), and then Turbo and/or Spray the piss out of that???

THAT would be friggin cool IMHO...

Enjoy the pics Kaz. I wish you the best of luck with your decision and purchase friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firebee.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	64985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nitrocag1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	64986  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by IamCornholio View Post
    I wonder if to have the absolute BEST of both worlds here Kaz could just get a very small motorcycle, powered by a scooter engine (more of less), and then Turbo and/or Spray the piss out of that???
    Mmm IamCornholio, well I have seriously considered painting a flaming skull on the front of my Mio 50cc.

Thread Information