Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Scooters versus motorcycles

Bike
    2014 Triumph Street Triple
    Well after much deliberation, and testing of lots of scooters and a couple of motorbikes (which were all fun to try), I just bought a PGO GMax 250. I am very excited.

It isn't as spunky looking as the Gilera Runner VXR200 which I wanted but...I just could not bring myself to pay $7000 when the perfectly reliable PGO company had produced a GMax which is so similar in design and handles just as well for $5300.

It's definitely a step up from my little Mio ("Biscuit" is a trade-in now) and my partner's Vespa ET150, though I've enjoyed both of them for their own special qualities - yes Biscuit does have special qualities ; )

Bike
    2020 BMW R1250R and 2011 C182T

Hi Kaz

Welcome to the PGO brother/sisterhood!!!

Glad to see that you have a good scoot - certainly had no real complaints about mine.

Must have a look at the GMax, never seen them before. Where did you buy it from. Do you know of any websites were I can have a look at one?

Enjoy!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo2 View Post
    Welcome to the PGO brother/sisterhood!!!
    Glad to see that you have a good scoot - certainly had no real complaints about mine.

Must have a look at the GMax, never seen them before. Where did you buy it from. Do you know of any websites were I can have a look at one?
    Enjoy!
    Hi Pogo2, thanks for the PGO welcome

I got "X" (it needs a name!) from Motorad in Wellington. You're in Auckland? I think Red Baron in Grey Lynn might have some but not sure where else. Here's a photo to tempt you http://www.pgo-scooter.com/images/PRODUCTS/G-MAX/02.gif

IMHO (based on the test ride):
    Pros are price, motorbike-style handling, 250cc so I can go pretty much anywhere, storage box which fits full-face helmet, disk brakes front and rear, 13 inch wheels (big enough to handle the motorway but still small enough to be manoeuvreable around the CBD).
    Cons are no glove box and it's not quite as attractive as the Runner (but it's certainly not ugly!), and the catalytic converter on the muffler makes it sound a bit like a big hairdryer (I guess you can always change that. Or just feel good that you're not hurting the environment). Some people would find the front-central petrol tank a con because you can't step-thru. But I think it's a pro because it's part of how the design gives it great handling.

Bike

Thanks for the photo.

Looks pretty flash. Like a bigger T-Rex but not, if you get my gist. Is yours red?

I'll expect a comprehensive report once you have a few km's under your belt (please).

I guess you are running it in but would really like to know how it cruises at 100kph

Safe scootering on "X"

P2

Bike
    Looks pretty flash. Like a bigger T-Rex but not, if you get my gist. Is yours red?

I'll expect a comprehensive report once you have a few km's under your belt (please).

I guess you are running it in but would really like to know how it cruises at 100kph

Safe scootering on "X"

P2
    Yep, it's red. Like a fire engine. Yes, even with the petrol tank forward/centre, it still has a TRex look, especially front on.

I will provide full report just as soon as I can. Motorad reckon the only thing to avoid while running it in is thrashing it at the top end or grunting along incredibly slowly up a steep hill. Maybe I'll "head out on the highway" this weekend

Bike
    '89 cbr250 i/e
    to me, i see scooters purely for commuting, seem more comfy, economical and easier. and that seems to be what you want.
    but you only live once, get the bike i reckon, more fun (and more respect!)

Bike

PGO GMax

Hi Kaz

Followed your advice and went to Red Barons to look at the GMax. Looks really good and not too big either. Price is very attractive. Took a bit of technique to throw the leg over rather than through. Agree with you comments on storage space. The space is about the same as a T-Rex. Definately not much in it. Hopefully we take for a ride in the near future to see what it is like. In the meantime I'll wait for your report with baited breath.

Go PGO!

Bike
    Suzuki C50T 2007
    The GN250 was a good bike in its early years, (as I had one in 1989), but have heard the Finish Quality of the newer ones are not as good. For what you want it for I think the scooter would be the thing to go for
    You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Bike
    Hi Kaz
    Followed your advice and went to Red Barons to look at the GMax. Looks really good and not too big either. Price is very attractive. Took a bit of technique to throw the leg over rather than through. Agree with you comments on storage space. The space is about the same as a T-Rex. Definately not much in it. Hopefully we take for a ride in the near future to see what it is like. In the meantime I'll wait for your report with baited breath.
    Go PGO!
    Hi Pogo2, did you get to take the GMax for test ride? Throwing the leg over did take a bit of getting used to for the first couple of days but now I do it without even thinking about it. It's quite a bit heavier than what I'm used to so that's taken a bit of getting used to. It's fun to ride, especially on the motorway though of course I'm taking it easy! It vibrates more than I would like when stopped at the intersection. You might like to check that out if you go for a ride. I'm used to it already but it seemed weird at first; maybe it will settle down when it is run in.

btw, I've named it The Tardis - red like a phone box and it looks compact but there's much more to it than first meets the eye (including more storage than you think at first). I dunno, the name just popped into my head and has stuck.

Cave Cleaner and cbr guy, thanks for the vote of confidence in my choice.

and...
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr guy View Post
    you only live once, get the bike i reckon, more fun (and more respect!)
    Errr, I guess I will just have to live with my second-class form of fun and try not to lie awake at night crying over the lack of respect. Maybe I will be doomed to suffer Clutch Envy

Bike
    Vespa 50s

the Tardis was blue.

Bike

Hello fellow PGO'er

Hi Kaz

Trust your having fun on the Tardis!

Yes, yet to take the GMax for a ride - might try for this weekend (weather dependent of course). Yes vibrations are a bit of an issue. When the build a four cylinder scoot I'll be the first to buy! Mine seems to vibrate more that it used too, despite only having 3500km on the clock. Sometimes it feels like the front mudguard to resonating through the whole frame and I am sure it sounds like a tractor. However that easily fixed by better earplugs!

I'll let you know what my thoughts are once on ridden it. In the meantime let me know how yours is perfoming.

Cheers

P2

Bike
    V-strom 650, SJ50QT Scooter Commuter
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up I like both. Lucky eh!

I like the way my scooter gets around town. Yes, I have to be super vigilant and can't tear off from a stand still, but it puts a smile on my dial. I love my motorbike as it can get away quickly, corner well and is comfortables for km after km. They are both usfeul in their own way. Why not have both? Cheers.
    When you take thousands of photos of your bike does the light from the flash weaken the plastic?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnz View Post
    the Tardis was blue.
    you're right. I just keep thinking of the old NZ phone boxes which were red. Plus, you know, I kinda wanted a blue GMax originally...

Quote Originally Posted by mbazza View Post
    I like the way my scooter gets around town. Yes, I have to be super vigilant and can't tear off from a stand still, but it puts a smile on my dial. I love my motorbike as it can get away quickly, corner well and is comfortables for km after km. They are both usfeul in their own way. Why not have both? Cheers.
    Yeah, why not both! Actually one of the things I am getting used to is the fast take-off on the Tardis compared with the Vespa. I have to be careful not to overdo it as I almost did this morning and suddenly shot to 80km when I meant to do 60km. Grrrrr, 250cc of raw power! Just wait until I put a flaming skull on the front...

Thread Information