Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South Island ride report

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Wow, what a great trip and an excellent ride report on it all! Brought back memories when I did SI in the cage. Definitely inspired me to go and do it all again on two wheels of freedom!

Sounds like you all overcame the usual challenges that biking presents and had an excellent time doing so!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    1993 Zephyr 550cc
    Wicked read! Cheers. I spent last week riding around the northen part of the South Island, with a friend... Ended rather badly for me (didn't manage to avoid a patch of black ice) but this is just the motivation I need to complete the trip this summer.
    Massey Motorcycle Club ZEPHYR representee
    Current: 93' ZR550 Zephyr
    Previously: Honda GB400f TT

Bike
    2007 Sprint ST
    Hi guys, we're doing the same as this person in late December-Jan, allowing up to four weeks to go from Auckland to Auckland (myself and partner), with a complete South Island tour being the main focus.

The biggest question I have is about the logistics. Obviously we will have a basic plan but this must be flexible due to any unforseen occurance, so how do you guys that do it plan in advance for acommodation? The girlfriend likes camping, but not every night and definitely will prefer B&B type stuff, but without knowing exactly what day we'll be there we can't really book in advance, so how do you plan for this? Are you guys just hoping there will be a place to stay when you get there? As for camping gear, I have a sprint st, so a tent and two sleeping bags would pretty much fill up the two panniers and top box
    I think this is going to be our main hurdle, so any advice will be appreciated

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Hi guys, we're doing the same as this person in late December-Jan, allowing up to four weeks to go from Auckland to Auckland (myself and partner), with a complete South Island tour being the main focus.

The biggest question I have is about the logistics. Obviously we will have a basic plan but this must be flexible due to any unforseen occurance, so how do you guys that do it plan in advance for acommodation? The girlfriend likes camping, but not every night and definitely will prefer B&B type stuff, but without knowing exactly what day we'll be there we can't really book in advance, so how do you plan for this? Are you guys just hoping there will be a place to stay when you get there? As for camping gear, I have a sprint st, so a tent and two sleeping bags would pretty much fill up the two panniers and top box
    December-Jan is peak period. You'll always find somewhere if you don't book, but the choice and standard might be a bit limited. You could always pre-book near the major tourist areas and not worry elsewhere. I recommend the Top 10 chain (www.top10.co.nz/) which have fantastic facilities and are moderately priced, but there are plenty of other options like backpackers.

With Top 10, you can order sheets and blankets for about $5/person/night in one of their cabins if you don't want to lug a sleeping bag and tent about. If you want to tent it, you can find accomodation practically anywhere without pre-booking a site. Hope this helps but I'm sure plenty of other people will add their experiences too.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    When I went around the SI in March I too mainly used Top 10.

Lewis Pass and Franz Joseph are particularly recommended. Wanaka is OK too. I booked into a Motel half way for a laundry day and I was a bit wary how cold the deep south might be. Maybe a motel once a week might be nice.

If you are trying to do it in a semi-organised way, I was advised to book in to the next camp as you check out in the morning. That way you should at least beat some of the people who just arrive mid afternoon and look for somewhere to book in...

I wasn't quite brave enough to do that and booked most in advance. Don't try to ride too many hours in a day. Leave time for walking around and checking out whatever is on offer in each place. Four hours riding a day, give or take, should be plenty.

Top 10 have a good website and a useful mileage calculator too. Or should that be kilometreage?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300

Cool SI trip currently underway

Can't match that report, but I can say I am in Wanaka at the moment, 2 days into a 5 night round SI trip on the mighty Honda Hornet 919.
    What an awesome day I just had - Hokitika to Wanaka would have to be one of THE best rides in the world! Previous day was Wellington to Hoki.

It has been about 20 yrs or so since I was down here last and I had forgotten just how damned beautiful this place is - almost good enough to make you want to stop and look - ok, not that good. I did take a few piccies though. And how few other people there are here, including Mr Plods . . . easy to hold whatever speed you want, not that I'd speed of course, its just that 5grand is a real nice rev range . . .

Awesome corners, roads rough enough in places to make it interesting. The cattle stop on the exit to a signposted 15km/hr corner over Mt Hercules has got to be a sick joke though, right?

And the Hornet is loving it. Metzler Roadtecs are perfect; suspension still needs some work (yes, its coming) and the exhausts that Damon from Cycleworks did are absolutely pure bliss!! Some real Zen moments.

Tomorrow is Wanaka to Bluff (ok, 'cos its there), then thru Catlins to Balclutha. After that? Well, you'll just have to wait and see won't you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SI trip 021.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	75087  
    Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. --Robert A. Heinlein .

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    As for camping gear, I have a sprint st, so a tent and two sleeping bags would pretty much fill up the two panniers and top box
    Do what I have done at times: courier spare clothing or whatever to a location where can have wait ready for you - and then courier back the dirty clothing etc home.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Thumbs up

Again, great read.

Reading up on anything South Island at the moment in prep for S.I. trip in Feb.

Didn't realise it got quite that cold that time of year so another lesson learnt. Cheers.
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Amazing write up Geoff, many many thanx. About 8 weeks to go before I follow in your footsteps and this Account of your trip will be coming with me.

Top bloke.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    2007 Sprint ST
    Far out I completely forgot about this thread. If anyone wants to see how we fared we put it up at

http://roadtrip.net.nz/index.php/nz-tour-0708/

6500 round trip on the Sprint at Xmas/New Year's 2007/08. I was meant to do the same around Australia this year but my brother in arms pulled out so it's been postponed indefinitely

Have a great time MartyBabe, we really enjoyed it and will remember it for the rest of our lives.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    thread dredge, awsesome write up Geoff, ready for another lap?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    thread dredge, awsesome write up Geoff, ready for another lap?
    Bloody hell, that really was a thread dredge .Thanks for the kind words, had forgotten that I wrote it! I was due to head south next month but that was canned due to my wife having a hip replacement in 2 weeks. It would not be a good look to bugger off whilst she's recovering. Besides, she's just approved a new bike and I wouldn't want that approval withdrawn!

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Got me thinking about the TT2000 I did in 2015, started Whanganui finished Christchurch picked partner up from there & then spent 9 days making our way home her first time down south for sometime & on the ZX14 as well. Cool read Geoff
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    Got me thinking about the TT2000 I did in 2015, started Whanganui finished Christchurch picked partner up from there & then spent 9 days making our way home her first time down south for sometime & on the ZX14 as well. Cool read Geoff
    Thanks Hami! The south island is a pretty special place eh? My next bike (most likely a KTM Duke 790) won't be so well set up for touring but doing it solo with a backpack full of underpants will be fine

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Bloody hell, that really was a thread dredge .Thanks for the kind words, had forgotten that I wrote it! I was due to head south next month but that was canned due to my wife having a hip replacement in 2 weeks. It would not be a good look to bugger off whilst she's recovering. Besides, she's just approved a new bike and I wouldn't want that approval withdrawn!
    Wishing Jenny a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing the new bike
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Thread Information