Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old fuel

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
    could be the fuel injection isnt as worried as the old carby would be
    Good point jim.........and as the skyline that sat around all that time was as well i would guess you are right.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    NC30
    All my experiences with old fuel have been bad. Make engines run like rubbish. I think if you mix it with new fuel it should be fine. Some engines are quick picky with fuel, my bike HATES 91, runs real bad. I would say its got condensation coming out of the exhaust because the fuel you put in it has water in it as well maybe ( well dah ) ? Could cause it to run like shit and blow steam out. It probably isnt stale, just got too much water and other shit in it.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Taking the fuel injection / carb thing a bit further - injection will atomise the fuel a lot better, even a cranking speed, so it has a better chance of neing ignited.
    I know if I leave fuel in the GS more than a few months and then drain it, it's not much more volatile than turpentine. I recall in the old days, when you set light to petrol it used to go off with a real "woof" and would burn away to nothing almost instantly. Set light to some modern gas and it burns with a real oily flame, almost like kerosene or diesel. Leaves an oily residue on the garage floor too.

So old gas, use it for getting the incinerator going (or maybe the injected car) but keep it out of the carburetted bike
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by mark247 View Post
    All my experiences with old fuel have been bad. Make engines run like rubbish. I think if you mix it with new fuel it should be fine. Some engines are quick picky with fuel, my bike HATES 91, runs real bad. I would say its got condensation coming out of the exhaust because the fuel you put in it has water in it as well maybe ( well dah ) ? Could cause it to run like shit and blow steam out. It probably isnt stale, just got too much water and other shit in it.
    As a side note to that........ive a clear clutch cover on my TLS......when returned from a ride its crystal clear.....the reason for the fancy pressure plate/anodized retainers etc........leave it a week..start it up and you would be amazed at the condensation/water that ends up in your motor.......ten minutes riding.........clear as......fwiw
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Bikes!
    Some vehicles are on edge of not even running at all, some are in full health. Some atomize fuel better than others, I'd guess that that would have a lot to do with it.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    For every gallon (litre, whatever) of petrol burned in an engine, an amount of water is formed (petrol (hydrocarbon), combined with oxygen = heat and water and some other stuff). The basic formula is C(n)H(2n+2) + [(3n+1)/2] O2 -> (n) CO2 + (n+1) H2O.
    When the engine is cold you see the water as vapour in the exhaust, because the pipes and mufflers are cold, allowing the water to condense. When the engine & pipes are hot, the water is still there, just in a gaseous form that you can't see. A fair percentage of this water goes past the rings and ends up in the crankcase. Again, once the engine is hot the water is boiled off and is removed via the PCV or engine breather. Engines that never get hot end up with a lot of water in the oil, which then combines with the suphur and nitrogen combustion byproducts to form acids. Detergents in the oil help limit damage but don't last forever. This is the main reason you need to change the oil on a regular basis.
    But apart from that there isn't (or shouldn't be) any water in fuel you buy from the gas station.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    95' CBR900
    You could try tossing some meths in the tank. meths absorbs and suspends the water, but still burns. (up to a point)
    The carbs vs injection sensitivity issue is also a good point. My injected galant sat in the garage for 10 months, started second crank.
    My partners lilttle mirage sat for a month, and when I finally got it go, ran like a bucket of @%& until it got dosed with meths.
    vagrant

Bike
    2007 Yamaha R-Sixer
    Blog Entries

fuel additives

Hi all,

Does anyone here use fuel additives in their bikes?? if so whats the best to use and how frequently? also has anyone heard of power pills apparently some sort of tablet you can drop into your tank that conditions the fuel if so where do ya get them from???

cheers

Bike
    Bikes!
    Waste of money mate.

Bike
    tb
    old fuel is all good when i couldnt ride my bike for 6 months it just sat around and it was sweet when i started it back up

Bike
    raptor 1000
    well i drained it out and put good stuff in starts first pop now

Thread Information