Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice please: bike troubles

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Can also be water in the fuel system.
    Try the Wynns Petrol Treatment (use only 1/4 to 1/3 bottle for a full tank). Cleans the fuel system and unclog the carburetor/injector jets.
    Especially if you store your bike outside or often leave the tank half-full/empty
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    HMX 5000
    yeah I was going to try a treatment, sometimes it runs a bit like my old VT250 did when that had water in the fuel. I solved that by tipping in about half a litre of meths into the tank.
    I'm pretty sure it needs a new battery though, and from what I've heard this will be seriously affecting spark.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Definitely try a new battery, and don't get an el cheapo! I tried this,bought a $70 cheapy and , after 5 months, when the battery kept boiling and spewing acid everywhere and I'd spent $360 on a new voltage regulator to no good effect, put in a new ($160) battery, and everything was sweet! - (anyone want a voltage Regulator for a YZF750/1000?)
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    HMX 5000
    well I finally got a new battery installed on Saturday and it has definatlety helped!
    although the flat-spot that I had around 4800RPM disappeared before I did this. I think tipping the bike on its side in my crash helped, which sounds crazy. Maybe I had some water or shit in the carbs float chambers??

another little quirk, that may indicate a lean mixture:
    I had been using the bike for a while with both rubber "horns" removed from the air-box to improve air induction (and increase air box noise ), but put one back in 'cos I found it too loud. So I put one back in, and this improved the engines smoothness too.

I'll be interested to see if the new battery improves my fuel economy (better spark, more effecient?)

PS. wheres the spell-checker funktion ?
    Ducati del Mondo Superbike Campione!

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Just be carefull driving an old honda i know all about charging system f**k-ups. I replaced the battery everything went fine untill it decided one morning  that i needed excerise and so went dead(bloody push starting). If there is a reg-rec problem then it messes with basically just about everything on the bike. One way i got told to check is at night (or dark place) if you rev the engine and there is a visible change in the brightness of your headlight then it should be ok otherwise you had better get out the wallet. Hope it was only the battery

Bike
    HMX 5000
    sorry, but I used to own a Honda VT250 which had water in its fuel, but my current bike is a Ducati 600SS with a new battery

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW
    Hey Duke,
    I can explain your lag at 4,500 5,000 RPM. I am experiencing the same thing which started after I cut open the airbox and installed a high-flow filter. This will lean out the air-fuel mixture and produce a crazy lag when you throw it wide open.
    I'm fixing this problem by installing a power commander and getting the bike dyno'd at power sports on the 1st of September. I will let you know if this works. In the meantime I would suggest that if you want to keep your airbox open, you will need to address the air-fuel mixture issue with a carb tune.
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Most likely the slide stirred the shit at the bottom of the fuel tank!!

Bike
    HMX 5000
    Originally posted by duckman
    Hey Duke,
    I can explain your lag at 4,500 5,000 RPM. I am experiencing the same thing which started after I cut open the airbox and installed a high-flow filter. This will lean out the air-fuel mixture and produce a crazy lag when you throw it wide open.
    yeah, I began suspecting this last week, so for a test I am riding with both horns things removed and the flat-spots are back, but not quite as bad as before.

I was planning on getting a dyno tune sometime soon, so will be interested in your results.
    according to the receipts I have with the bike, it was dynoed very early in its life (3000km) when a stage 1 dyno-jet kit was installed.

do you reckon it would be worth me time and money upgrading to a stage 2 kit and having it tuned or stick with stage 1?
    (I have installed a K&N air-filter element, but dont really want to cut up my air-box, but ride without the rubber horn things)

Bike
    HMX 5000
    Originally posted by wkid_one
    Most likely the slide stirred the shit at the bottom of the fuel tank!!
    hope not, but I think the tanks pretty clean, I got a good look at the inside of it when replacing the in-tank fuel filter, what a bastard!

Bike
    Hey Duke,

I don't know about you, but I love having the airbox open. The sound is fantastic. I personally feel that considering the number of times I've heard "but I didn't see you" from a cage driver, fully warrants having a loud bike.
    If you've got the dollars go the who hog and step up to stage two.
    I'll let you know what results I get from the PC and Dyno.

Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    HMX 5000
    If you've got the dollars go the who hog and step up to stage two.
    what's involved eggactly? is it just a matter of replacing the jets, installing high-flow air filter, opening up airbox and dyno tune?
    or will I need a new muffler too?
    (have factory can that has been de-cored)

yeah, love the noise too, reckon it accounts for almost 50% of the bikes noise sometimes

Bike
    Haha - Now you've cornered me. As I understand it the full 3 stage upgrade is:

1. New cans - (I can recommend the arrow carbon fibre)

2. Open airbox and high flow filter (k&N's best)

3. Upgrade ECU - either buy the whole ECU from Ducati or install a powercommander unit and then Dyno to check that the air-fuel mixture is set right.

I think thats about it. but I should point out that I work in I.T. and therefore am full of it most of the time!!
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    HMX 5000
    righto, on my 600 I only have 1 can, so that halves that cost

and my bike is carb'ed so no ECU I believe, but does have coils obvisouly that I could upgrade.

what I was thinking of doing (after fairing repairs) was:
    1. if it will pass a WOF, replace de-cored std muffler (not sure what brand)
    2. upgrading carb jets to dyno-jet "Stage 2" kit
    3. dyno-tune with standard air-box, but with rubber "horn" restrictors off and K&N

me thinks if I do much more then I'm throwing away the money I should be saving for my next bike (that will give the extra performance I will be after in a few months)

I also have IT job (probably same female boss and not called Helen) but also have mortgage and wife who likes new clothes and my own drug habit to maintain.
    Ducati del Mondo Superbike Campione!

Bike
    Ditto - Work and lifestyle choices!!
    Not even with yours!!!

Thread Information