Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: advice please: bike troubles

Bike
    RF900
    plugs sooty? $5 dollar plugs?
    Well I guess thats not going to be helped by a new Battery?

Standard plugs for my Bike $20 sooty obviously too rich?

rejet and better quality plugs correct reach and heat range?Needle slides worn?

Dynos pretty expensive?
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    The garage is now full
    Testing your battery is easy. Take it out and take it to anyone who sells batterys, it does not have to be a bike shop, and ask them to do a discharge test on it. It takes seconds. They put a discharge meter on it and essentially short out the battery to see how well it holds or discharges the stored energy. If it drops quickly it is stuffed, if it does not drop it is probably ok. If you have a lead acid battery always keep the acid level topped up because if it drops it will effect the battery. Gel batteries cannot be changed. Batteries do not like NOT being used. They are most effective when charged and discharged reularly. Your charging system sounds fine at 14 volts running with lights on. Do you use the bike a lot, old crap petrol can cause lots of problems as the stuff we get these days goes off real quick and does not like sitting. I read recently that Ducatis do not like K & N type filters and can suffer up to a 10% loss of power with them. Try a short run without the filter (dry clean road) and see if that changes it any. Ask yourself what has changed from when it was ok to what it is like now. Re examine what you have touched. Claning out your carb float bowls sounds like a good idea after its been on its side. Cant see why the jets would change all of a sudden unless they got crap in them
    I'm one of the worlds best riders. I can wheelie, I can stoppie, I can stunt, hell I can get my shoulder down. I could keep up with Rossie if I wanted to race.

Then I go from bed to bike and somehow it all turns to crap.

Bike
    HMX 5000
    Originally posted by Redstar
    Well I guess thats not going to be helped by a new Battery?

Dynos pretty expensive?
    yes, all good points, but I have replaced the battery (posted earlier) and it has improved the bike's running, and now I am just thinking ahead of possible mods.
    for a little while I got confused 'cos the 4800RPM dead spot disappered while I still had the old battery, but I have put this down to removing the two rubber "horn" devices that guide (restrict) air into the air box.

I will check my plugs again tommorrow, last time I looked they were a bit sooty.
    they're nothing special just plain old NGK's (I'll prolly get advice on spark plug brands now ) not worth $20 each

Bike
    HMX 5000
    and thanks for the advice PZR, but I have already replaced the battery, which I'm 95% certain was atleast 75% of my problems.

and I installed a K&N a few weeks after I got it, 'cos it still had the original paper filter in it.

so now I think I need to get my mixture correct for running with semi-open air-box.

cheers guys
    Ducati del Mondo Superbike Campione!

Bike
    HMX 5000
    Originally posted by Redstar

I think you're on to a winner here Redstar.
    pulled one plug and its still quite sooty.
    done some research (used the internet properly!) and have learnt a fair bit in the last hour about spark plugs.

the ones I have fitted are NGK DPR9EA-9 (gapped to 0.6mm) and the ones I replaced are DPR8EA-9 (slightly hotter)
    the manual specifies Champion RA4HC 0.6mm gap, which converts to the DPR8EA-9, however the NGK site recommends DPR9EA-9 for my bike and so did Haldanes.

how to read NGK codes

this site is really good for Ducks, and at the bottom of this page it describes plug conditions (mine fit the RICH description)
    what your plugs are telling you

could I have dirty plugs just because at the moment 80-90% of my ride time is daily commuting (low revs/idleling) ?

Bike
    KTL DUCATI 999
    The 600SS is a tempramental girl and does not like short trips. I went through plugs every 1-2 months on mine when just commuting 6kms to work.

Best remedies:

Change plugs more often.

Take the long way to work.

Buy a jappa

Bike
    HMX 5000
    haha, cheers Nicko.

do you reckon the Iridium or platinum plugs are worth their dosh?
    (guessing $20 each, compared to $5 each)

but if I'm replacing them often, then I'll stick to the cheapo's

and I know these plugs won't fix my fuel mixture problem

long way to work, reminds me of my first ride after getting the bike:

Browns Bay -> Albany -> Coatsville -> Kumeu -> Hobsonville -> turn around -> Kaukapapa -> Silverdale -> downtown Auckland (work)
    Ducati del Mondo Superbike Campione!

Bike
    KTL DUCATI 999
    ...yeah like you said, if you're replacing them often just stick to cheapies - lucky you've only got 2 plugs to change at a time when they need replacing.

If your neighbours don't mind - let the engine idle for longer before you take off. I used to milk cows over my summers & I literally woke up whole houses on the way to work at 5AM on the Duke. Geez - what's wrong with a V-twin with no baffles at full noise early in the morning....some people!

Cross referencing plugs is a trap - cross reference over several brands and by the time you get back to where you started you'll be trying to fit Model A Ford plugs in - Stick to the plug manufactuers listing.

Plat plugs are good for CDI,but they don't self clean - so a quick fang around the block won't clear fould plugs.I've had Bosch silvers in my bike for 4 yrs - I carry a new set of Densos ready to pop in if a miss sets in (yeah,you know where - Awakino Gorge at night in the rain with no tools...love pushing my luck)
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information