Thread: Planning my first visit to New Zealand

Bike
    Virago XV1100

Planning my first visit to New Zealand

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am intending making my first trip to your beautiful country in December or January. It will be a business trip, but I plan to take some holiday time as well, and would l love to get some biking in. I am a bike club member at home (the Virago Star Owners Club, Center 15 www.vsocxv.co.uk) and would like to meet up with a cruiser club whilst in New Zealand. From experience I know that unless I make some contacts in advance my plans won't come to much, so I hope someone out there will be able to assist.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Ya better tell us where in NZ you are visiting Tarzan...

As for cruiser clubs? They have clubs for cruisers?? This is more of a run wot yer brung type deal..

Cheers

Bike
    2000 BMW650GS
    As Paul says, it will pay to know where you will be going, and where you want to go. If it's a rental bike you're after there are a few good options. One I'd recommend is New Zealand Motorcycle Rentals & Tours, who are in Auckland (North Island) and Christchurch (South). Try them on on http://www.nzbike.com/
    They have a wide variety of bikes, including crusiers and adventure tourers. There are some other options as well, so check out your search engine. NZ is a fantastic place to ride, and both islands offer some great scenery and great rides...all depends what turns you on the most - windy bush clad roads, or wide open spaces, with not much traffic.

Whatever you decide to do, hope you have a great time!
    It's a hard road boy.......so try not to land on it.

Bike
    Sold

Hi Tarzan

Stay in touch about your plans. We have plenty of space if you're passing through in the central north island or the Coromandel Peninsula. I also have a workmate who rides a Virago 1100 who I'm sure would be happy to meet up with you.

Cheers

Geoff

Bike
    Virago XV1100

Thanks a lot guys!!

Thanks for all the responses and help.

I will be working in Auckland for at least a week, and plan to take at least a week of leave I will probably end up with a stay of about three weeks. Whatever I get up to I guess I will be heading off from Auckland. I was planning on a rental bike, so thanks for the pointer on that, I will follow it up. As I get some more idea of when I will be coming I will post again with some more details. I would love to get some idea of any rallys or other events that will be occurring whilst I am there.

I am sure I will have plenty more questions before I am set, but I am sure that with your help I can get everything sorted.

I look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully even meeting soon.

Ride safe, it's a jungle out there!

Tarzan.

Bike
    xs400 -
    moko alllways vowches for these fellas ... these fullas ...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    Guzzi
    There is one ride you must do in the North Island. That's the Parapara's on state Highway Four. Just heaps of twisties into Wanganui. Used to travel this a few years ago in a Sunbeam Talbot. Just loved it. The Desert Road is another of my favourites. Been a while since I have been up in the North islander. I'm a pig islander from the mainland. There's heaps of northerners here who will give you good advice. Just thoughtI would get those two rides in before anyone else

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Virago XV1100

Cheers Wari

Quote Originally Posted by wari
    moko alllways vowches for these fellas ... these fullas ...
    That looks great. Prices are pretty good too. I am saving cash and holiday days as fast as I can.

Tarzan

Bike
    Virago XV1100

Looking forward to it already!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder
    There is one ride you must do in the North Island. That's the Parapara's on state Highway Four. Just heaps of twisties into Wanganui. Used to travel this a few years ago in a Sunbeam Talbot. Just loved it. The Desert Road is another of my favourites. Been a while since I have been up in the North islander. I'm a pig islander from the mainland. There's heaps of northerners here who will give you good advice. Just thoughtI would get those two rides in before anyone else

Skyryder
    Thanks for that mate. I am begining to think I am going to need something that handles twisties better than the XV1100!!!

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan
    Thanks for that mate. I am begining to think I am going to need something that handles twisties better than the XV1100!!!
    Good thinking - I was yarning with a few yanks while touring Northland earlier this year - they were all hardcore cruiser pilots, and had hired the same sorts of big ass cruisers they rode back home, it was the last day of their trip and they were all in agreement that they would hire something with better cornering ability if they were coming again.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Virago XV1100

On my way!

I am leving damp wet England on the 24th Jan. I have a week or so of work to do in Auckland, then I hope to take a week out. Any suggestions for an event I can head for? Are there any rallies going on around then? I know the TOMCC one is on in early feb, but I was looking to get some distance in.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I am leving damp wet England on the 24th Jan. I have a week or so of work to do in Auckland, then I hope to take a week out. Any suggestions for an event I can head for? Are there any rallies going on around then? I know the TOMCC one is on in early feb, but I was looking to get some distance in.
    Yup!

Buy a map. Head down to wellington from akl. Drift down one coast (sunniest at the time) and idle up the other. We will find you a bed in Wellington.

Paul N

Bike
    Virago XV1100

Sounds like a damn fine idea to me.

I'll start making some plans. Hopefully work in Auckland will go well enough to give me the time to make it. I will post on progress.

Cheers mate.

PS it is now cold windy and snowing.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy

PS it is now cold windy and snowing.
    9.10am, Fine, 18oC in the sunny Hawkes Bay. Be sure to call into this part of the country.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information