Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New CBR250RR Tyres, what are the best? Can you help?

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k14
    Yeah, thats another option, but im not too sure how well the cross ply's will handle the extra power of the CBR. Remember they put out about 40hp as opposed to around 25 for the VTR. They are also not as sports orientated as the GPR70's. Go and talk to some tyre guys, they will give you a good indication on what you need.
    the VTR's are not "that" bad they make 32hp

they are actually a hi reving V Twin, as the gap between peak torque / hp is only 500rpm's

Mind you... I am planning on taking over a SV650S closer to end of the year...

How does cross ply thing affected by power? or weight? or speed? never had cross ply tires from my car days before.

Pirillie also have the "Dragon HR" that is for lighter bikes, so that might be one up on the sport demons.

Paparazzi's got a set of Arrowmax on his 250R, he seems to be happy with them.

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    the VTR's are not "that" bad they make 32hp

they are actually a hi reving V Twin, as the gap between peak torque / hp is only 500rpm's

Mind you... I am planning on taking over a SV650S closer to end of the year...

How does cross ply thing affected by power? or weight? or speed? never had cross ply tires from my car days before.

Pirillie also have the "Dragon HR" that is for lighter bikes, so that might be one up on the sport demons.

Paparazzi's got a set of Arrowmax on his 250R, he seems to be happy with them.
    I've got them on what remains of my 250R. I've found they're not very good off road.

Otherwise I can't complain too much about their performance, don't seem to wear too badly etc, though on the other hand sport demon sounds much cooler than arrowmax. I reckon you should get some of them instead.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    ok, one thing to say (well a few really) your not doing commuting so go the GPR70, the best tyre you can get for the bike. with 40 hp, weather it is crossply or not will matter.... as 40hp is basically fuck all.....

MAN 5000KM!!!!!!!!! i got 1500kms out of my tyre this time on my 150 consider yourself lucky with the style of tyre you got and the milage you got from it...

Otherwise got Bridgestone BT-090's or Sport Demons. They are all good tyres. go for the best deal...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    1990, Honda CBR250RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    ok, one thing to say (well a few really) your not doing commuting so go the GPR70, the best tyre you can get for the bike. with 40 hp, weather it is crossply or not will matter.... as 40hp is basically fuck all.....

MAN 5000KM!!!!!!!!! i got 1500kms out of my tyre this time on my 150 consider yourself lucky with the style of tyre you got and the milage you got from it...

Otherwise got Bridgestone BT-090's or Sport Demons. They are all good tyres. go for the best deal...
    Cheers man,

Yeah I'm keen on the Dunlops, got a quote for $500 fitted and ready to go.

Also got a quote from Mt Eden Motorcycles for $450 for Pirelli Corsa's, but they don't do the 140/60/17 on the rear, instead its a 150/60/17......both typres said to be good. Will talk to the boys on barry's point road first...see if I can get it cheaper as I hate spending money!!!
    down, I"m going as fast as I can

Bike
    Your Face
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    i say fit some bridgestones

I have to agree wif you, they are very good
    The world will look up and shout "Save Us!", and I'll whisper "no"

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDream
    Cheers man,

Yeah I'm keen on the Dunlops, got a quote for $500 fitted and ready to go.

Also got a quote from Mt Eden Motorcycles for $450 for Pirelli Corsa's, but they don't do the 140/60/17 on the rear, instead its a 150/60/17......both typres said to be good. Will talk to the boys on barry's point road first...see if I can get it cheaper as I hate spending money!!!
    Try not to change the stock tyre profiles, the factory profiles are definately the best, although $50 saving isnt to be sneezed at. I don't really know much about the Pirelli's but they can't be too bad.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    I have GRP70s on my 250 - they are 110/70 and 140/60 which gives 77mm height on the front and 84mm on the rear (1cm diff) which is pretty neutral steering but in my opinion less front end grip.

A 150/60 would give you 90m on the rear - but I doubt you'd notice 6mm difference (not with that front). But like everything its personal preference really. Seems to me dunlop riders like the higher profiles and larger ride height

Just in case the numbers sound funny, the first number is the tire width, the second number is the aspect ratio of the tire (its shape). You calculate the height of the tire in mm by multiplying the width by the aspect ratio as a percentage eg. 160 x 0.60 = 96mm.

The difference between the front and the rear tire heights gives part of the rear ride height - higher means the bike will lean faster but at the expense of straight line speed - also means you have more weight carried forwards so means less intensive braking (you brake earlier) - as I understand it after two glasses of wine

Someone might want to add to/correct this if I am out
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    i had a 150 rear, it was primo....

GPR70s

Ask That wanker at motomail if he got any deals...
    Exodus 18:11

Bike
    Not many, if any
    /edit *YOINK* (soz andy, didnt mean to type that long)

/me loves bridgestones but they is all good tyres!

Bike
    ok, you the man kk...
    Exodus 18:11

Bike
    1990, Honda CBR250RR
    Opps seems I was talking shite, the tyres for $450 fitted are the Pirelli Diablo's, apparently the dunlops are a race tyre and will take a lot longer to warm up....not the best for wet weather as you have to have your witts about you incase you forget they are not warm yet.

Diablo's are cheaper and will probably wear longer, not as sticky but warm quicker.

So thinking they could be a good option also...

Anyone used Pirelli Diablo's before?

Oh and just to note this does not mean i think the Diablo's are better than the Dunlops, as I understand it the Dunlops are the best but may just be a second set of tyres for me once I get used to riding a bit more.....

Don't want to blow $500 on then square the tyre from commuting to work occasionally or riding on the damn motorway, (wish they'd build a bike motorway *sigh*)

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    My only question will be if you need to spend 450 big ones for tires on a 250. Cause I am not even close to out riding my tires, and I just think that you might be wasting money on tires that you won't be needing yet.

Bike
    1990, Honda CBR250RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    My only question will be if you need to spend 450 big ones for tires on a 250. Cause I am not even close to out riding my tires, and I just think that you might be wasting money on tires that you won't be needing yet.
    Know what you mean Felix, but I asked the guy about your tyres and he suggested that for my bike they really wouldn't cut the mustard.

Top end CBR is about 185 or 190....so just a bit more than VTR

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    someone said "extrta power of a cbr"
    was that a 250 thing?
    coz my 400 runs a pirelli sport demon
    and a gpr80 on teh back

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Just get the tyres that suit your needs the best. If you do mainly commuting then go for the Pirelli Sport Demon's. If you do more weekend fast rides then go for the GPR70's or Diablos. The bridgestone BT090's are dual compound, hard in the centre and soft on the outside, so you get the best of both worlds, but maybe not the best for your purposes.

Just go with the tyre that suits your needs the best.

Thread Information