Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 205mph claims thrown into doubt by experts

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

205mph claims thrown into doubt by experts

John Ulrich, editor of Roadracing World has spoken out against the claim that a biker was clocked at 205mph.

"Theoretically, it could happen anything is possible but I don't believe it. Guys who want to break speed records and go over 200 mph have to go to great lengths to get there” said Ulrich.

A further factor in the claim of the state trooper is that he timed the bike (a Honda RC51) using a stopwatch, which he started when, his in opinion, the bike crossed a white line. If his timing was even slightly out, then the claims of 200+mph could be way out.

The State Patrol is sticking to its guns and stopwatch. Spokesman Kevin Smith said it's possible for Tilley's bike to go that fast "What we have is what we have," Smith said. "That is the number he came up with, and there's really no going back on it. We have no reason to believe he's wrong."
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    And exactly how long did it take for them to work this out. I wouldv'e laughed if they had tried to do me for that kinda speed. Just smile nod and say .... i'll see you boys in court.

Oh crap - I do 205mph coming to work every day,just because they don't have the means to verify my speed dosn't mean it's not true,these wankers need to get into the real world where fast men ride fast on fast bikes every day.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    Debateing the top speed in this case would be pointless as its obvious that the speed limit had been breached somewhat even if the timing had been out by a few seconds or so. Though if you can get off the charge because the exact speed could not be determined would be worth pursuing. Its a strange world we live in.
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    1997 bandit 1200s
    Bullshit on a road going RC51 I was at manfeild afew years back to see a race preped RC51 ridden very capably by one Jason Mcewan being passed by 3 gsxr 600 on the back straight at once! To confirm my suspicions I later bludged a ride on one and thougt it felt slow compared to my RF900! 205 mph is the upper limit of an RC211v and is way out of range for any RC51 including a WSB. Wank on!

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    I know that in OZ the cops have white lines painted across the roads so that the air cops can time the journey of suspect vechicles between known distances. Had a mate done this way back in 88 when I working over there.
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    205 mph is the upper limit of an RC211v and is way out of range for any RC51 including a WSB. Wank on!
    Um, they are geared to reach top speed at the end of the longest straight.
    They are not geared to reach the highest speed the bike is capable of.

How many HP for an RC211V?

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    a race preped RC51 ridden very capably by one Jason Mcewan being passed by 3 gsxr 600 on the back straight at once! To confirm my suspicions I later bludged a ride on one and thougt it felt slow compared to my RF900!
    Perhaps it was race prepped to have less than stock horsepower

Subtle
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    nothing :(
    205mph = 329km/h I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Back in the '80's the MOT played with speed checks from aircraft. They even marked some roads with white lines, Himatangi Straights were one area. They decided it was too expensive and flagged it. It would be interesting, if someone whose brain is working (mine's not) could work out the time difference between 205 and 180 mph over that distance. I think the copper had a touch of the trembles at seeing someone who was so prepared to kill.
    I'm surprised he didn't fly down and try to shoot his tyres out.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    205mph/400m = (about) 4.4 seconds

180mph/400m = (about) 5.0 seconds

150mph/400m = (about) 6.0 seconds

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    205mph/400m = (about) 4.4 seconds

180mph/400m = (about) 5.0 seconds

150mph/400m = (about) 6.0 seconds
    Only an over excited temble between 150 and 205 then marty. All hair splitting to a point, is there a penalty difference in the States between 150 and 205?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Back in the '80's the MOT played with speed checks from aircraft. They even marked some roads with white lines, Himatangi Straights were one area. They decided it was too expensive and flagged it. It would be interesting, if someone whose brain is working (mine's not) could work out the time difference between 205 and 180 mph over that distance. I think the copper had a touch of the trembles at seeing someone who was so prepared to kill.
    I'm surprised he didn't fly down and try to shoot his tyres out.
    When in the States I often came across road-side signs saying "Warning, speed monitored by aircraft" (got a photo of one in my album) in the big open desert states i.e. Nevada, New Mexico etc.

Since the plane does'nt pull you over I never knew how many of the roadside stops by H.P types were a result of the 'eye in the sky'
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    if it's like here, then penalty is probably decided by the judge. but then it is america.....

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    I kind'a doubted this from the start.
    Human error could see the cop pushing his stop watch sooner or later than he thought.Of course he would never belive he made a mistake, but then if the charge goes through in court the riders a legend weather it was right or not.
    Chances are the biker won't even defend it,and Honda will secretly love him for it :sly:

Thread Information