Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost-effective GPS options...

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Impressive devices but hell the asking price is high. I think I will stay with my basic navman.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    moped
    Just bought a Navman F20 of "Trade me" for $415 delivered. Put that on the Xt the other day taped it onto the brake resesviour with duck tape, works fine on the bike. Made up a lead from the battery with a DSE female cig lighter plug to power the Unit. The only regrett was that possibly should have invested a bit more and got something that i could plug in a headset or blue tooth to listen to instructions, never mind that would have been xtra Dollars, i can follow the map pretty well though.
    I have since found out that i think Navman have designed a bluetooth plug in unit for the F20, available in Australia for somewhere around $249 aus.
    Bought the unit to use on a bike trip in Australia in September for a month.
    Picked up a map of australia for $ 156.00 nz dollars from www.thesatnavstore.com UK delivered in four days.
    Most guys in the states are using the Garmin Zumo designed for motorcycles, but hey technology is advancing that quickly that something we buy today will be obsolete tomorrow hence the budget package.
    Also i have had it on my FJR 1300 the rubber windscreen suction mount is dam good sticks to the front of the tank quite nicely, saving the xtra costs for a GPS mounting platform.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    not sure if this has been covered: BUY A MAP AND HTFU!!!
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    2007 Yamaha R-Sixer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex View Post
    not sure if this has been covered: BUY A MAP AND HTFU!!!
    LOL! with that one could suggest catching a cab?? haha though some of them taxi drivers no less about where their going than i!

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    I have a Garmin GPS60, and have loaded it NZ road maps.

Can't do routing or auto routing, but all I do is draw the route and waypoints on the PC and load them into the GPS before I leave home. It records all the info, and last about 16 hours on a set of AA rechargables. Water proof and can be operated ok with gloved hand on a bike.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I have the older CS version of this one https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=350 which they don't seem to have listed now I guess its replaced by the Cx. Haven't bothered preplotting routes with it but I love checking records of where I've been. Does all the average speeds, top speeds etc that you could ever wish for. Nice and waterproof too being a marine version. Mine has the 128mb fixed, no card changing capability. Geez they getter better all the time eh!
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Garmin eTrex Legend with handlebar mount.
    4 years of everyday use mounted on the bars of the Nordie without issue.
    Bought another one a few monthe ago.
    Fast enough for realtime navigation and can load an entire Island of BrentC's searchable street maps no problem.
    On the DR it's wired into the 12V.
    Last one was new-in-box for $245 off TradeMe.

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    I also have the Garmin Etrex Legend...but am thinking about using its serial streaming output and running it into my PSP and using the (free) MapThis! software...

The video shows the PSP working with the Sony GPS module attached (~$80) which just plug in the top. You can use any GPS unit with a serial output I think.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar View Post
    I also have the Garmin Etrex Legend...but am thinking about using its serial streaming output and running it into my PSP and using the (free) MapThis! software.
    Interesting concept. Found quite a few other vids on youtube on this system working.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    Sold
    I have a Garmin 76 CSX which I bought new for ~$640 from TradeMe a few months back. I went for this model because it's compact to slip in my pocket when overseas but is still great on the bike or in the car. The free software that comes with it is a bit basic so I got another bit of great software with auto-routing, points of interest (gas stations, ATM's, tourist stuff etc) and a whole lot more. It doesn't have voice messaging but it beeps at critical points so that's fine. Very pleased with it.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    Interesting concept. Found quite a few other vids on youtube on this system working.
    Yeah, not the best one that i posted either. Been sniffing around that .co.nz site mentioned before (can't remember name) and they have a GPS mouse for $88...thats all you need!

The cool thing with the PSP method is all you do is download some free software, point it at Google Maps and it downloads ALL of the zoom levels for the area that you specify. Have had a go with the PSP in GPS mode and it rocks! Not brilliant software, but the guy is working on it.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Yea been looking on trademe and found these:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PSP/...22809.htm?p=16

Now I just need a PSP.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Can someone explain why you need a GPS system, on a bike, with no maps?
    Its that as useful as a spirograph on a bike? Seeing as all its doing it drawing pictures on a screen? Or am i missing a big point here.
    I mean i can understand having gps with no maps if you walk the bush (hansel and grettel style).....but on a road bike, on nz roads.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    Yea been looking on trademe and found these:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PSP/...22809.htm?p=16

Now I just need a PSP.
    Go to http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-1mij.html and buy them for $80 + freight I think.

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Can someone explain why you need a GPS system, on a bike, with no maps?
    Its that as useful as a spirograph on a bike? Seeing as all its doing it drawing pictures on a screen? Or am i missing a big point here.
    I mean i can understand having gps with no maps if you walk the bush (hansel and grettel style).....but on a road bike, on nz roads.
    On the bike it will give you info like top speed/average speed. Not really useful, no but interesting. Where it comes to life is off the bike. You can overlay the track onto a map and see where you have been. Then, with a click of the mouse you can see any corner you want and see entrance speed, corner speed and exit speed. See how smooth you are really riding. You can remember where you went and once the track is overlaid onto a map you can record all your travels.

I dont want a $600 that is going to tell me how to get somewhere. For what it is worth I dont want a $300 system that is going to tell me how to get somewhere. It is extremely difficult to get lost in new zealand, even if you take the long way round it doesnt really matter. I just like a record of the trips.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Thread Information