Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cost-effective GPS options...

Bike
    2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    ... I can see the corner ahead of time (a good 500 to 1km) and it helps with my judgement for speed ...
    I do it too, but I've learnt to be damn cautious ... just remember the GPS map is typically only 'representational' and reality somewhat different ... then there's all the other variables ( diesel, roadkill, camber, cage drivers/trucks, the biker coming the other way without a GPS !! )
    VFR800 VTEC Italian Red, Remus Cans, PCIII USB, Hot grips, Panniers, GPS

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Viferpilot View Post
    I do it too, but I've learnt to be damn cautious ... just remember the GPS map is typically only 'representational' and reality somewhat different ... then there's all the other variables ( diesel, roadkill, camber, cage drivers/trucks, the biker coming the other way without a GPS !! )
    I don't rely on it, I just use it as 'one of' my tools to help me, other tools being road signs, my sighting the corner and judgement etc...

in real tight twisties I don't look at the GPS at all and only my skill of judging the corner... but in glances looking at speed etc the GPS has helped

Bike
    2013 BMW R1200 GSA
    I mount a Garmin legend c on the busa, Is ok for navagation and gives you a real speed ( the buse is 7kph out at 100kph)and distance travelled, average speed ETC.
    Just another fun accessory like the V one.

Pretty cool for long trips completly waterproof.

Bike
    2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
    On my Honda when the Garmin GPSmap76C is recording 100kph the bike's speedo will be up at least +105kph. When I'm keeping a sharp eye on pace I use the GPS ... besides the display, and its position makes it easier to glance/read.
    Thought ... for the soles who think they've reached nnn kph, but only 'cause they rely upon their wonky speedos. There's a likelihood the margin of error increases exponentially. Wonder if that's why some reprimanded speedsters think they got off 'lightly' ie perhaps their speedos were reporting a higher penalty than the lasers/speed cameras (or whatever) actually measure.

Bike
    2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC
    Yep ! Doing same. Just another ( handy ) input to add to all the other 'scanning' goin' on.

Thread Information