Thread: Keihin FCRs, info needed

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211

Keihin FCRs, info needed

I've spied myself a set of 41mm Keihin FCR's that might be suitable for my R1. The problem is the R1 requires a a throttle position sensor (TPS) and I don't think the carbs have one fitted.
    1. Does anyone now if you can retro fit a TPS to the carbs and/or if it is economically feasable to do so?
    2. Is it a worthwhile punt to buy second hand who-nows-how-worn FCR's? (my missus old GSXR750WN had worn flat slides and it was a bitch, spluttering off idle, even after dyno tuning)

Any Keihin FCR advice would be much appreciated.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    FCR's are brillent brillent carbs!!! awesome fuel metering abilities...
    my question is....is why do you want them/need them??

I doubt a TPS would be hard to mount...do you have a schematic of the R1's carbs to see how they are working on the stockers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    FCR's are brillent brillent carbs!!! awesome fuel metering abilities...
    my question is....is why do you want them/need them??

I doubt a TPS would be hard to mount...do you have a schematic of the R1's carbs to see how they are working on the stockers?
    After two teardowns and the drama's I've had with the heap of shit I'm determined to get the most out of the work that's been done "rehabilitating" the thing. I wasn't looking for a set but came across some for just a few hundred bucks. Considering they're over fifteen hundred new I thought they'd be worth looking at, considering they are the ducks nuts for throttle response, hp etc.
    They'd just need respacing, rejetting and a TPS as far as I can tell but I don't know if they'll be worth the hassle.
    I know I don't need them but a few extra ponies would never go astray......especially if they are cheap ponies.

Bike
    -
    Keihin FCR.... ... Oh how'd I'd love one of those, or a Keihin CR Special

Now, many iterations of the Keihin FCR when used OEM come with a TPS. CRF450X, YZxxxFs, etc. The question, I suppose, is can you flog one off another FCR? Would it be likely to work? Or do you need the R1 TPS.

If it's a Keihin part (is it?), then they have an excellent parts network (so I've heard) so you should be able to pick one up new, at least -- no doubt at a phenomonal price.

Good luck. If you find a 37mm FCR single carb just lying around taking up space in your garage I'd be happy to take it off your hands -- I'll even come and pick it up myself!

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Ok, I've determined these do have a TPS fitted (just a variable resistor) so that's one headache sorted.
    My bike already has the choke function disabled so I won't be losing anything there.

Anyone had any experience fitting these to a bike? Worth the hassle or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fcr1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	66379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fcr2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	66380  

Bike
    1997 Suzuki TL1000s
    you will need to discover whether or not the tps fitted to the carbs works within the same parameters as your existing tps. if they are not the same maybe you could swap them over?

you should consider too how fitting carbs may affect any other sensors on the bike (is you bike efi?)
    If you follow the herd you step in their shit

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    A R1 forum should have the info.
    FCR's are worth the effort on near anything,i first custom fitted a set (one downdraft/one side draft) back in the 1990's and was surprised at not only the increased power and throttle response but the increased mpg.

You can fit anything,i needed to convince the TL ECU that 61mm Honda TB's were ok.
    A little work to one TB shaft to except a titanium adapter,some machining on the TB itself and a plate to fit the Suzuki TPS and it was done.
    There should be a FCR kit as a bolt on with no drama,if you are thinking FCR's modded to fit a R1 then it will no doubt take some work,if they are cheap enough (rejetting can be expensive) and you are prepared to take the time anything is possible, even if not logical.
    If you have to pay someone else then a bolt on set will be much less hassle and money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPS3.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	66864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPS1.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	66865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPS2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	66866  

Bike
    Bikes!
    As TLDV8 says, retrofitting a TPS is a piece of piss and the least of your worries

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    I've done a little research in relation to getting a 41mm FCR onto my DR-Z. Some say, on the DR-Z, not to bother with the TPS if you are taking the carb off bike that is not another DR-Z.

But, you know, the DR-Z is just a silly little single, not an R1 !

Thread Information