Thread: Leaky carbs?

Bike
    None, sadly

Leaky carbs?

Hi everyone,

The carbs on my impulse are leaking at the moment, scratching my head trying to figure out where from.

I'm pretty sure its the carbs as i've checked all the fittings around the fuel lines/tap, and all seems well. Having a look it appears like both sides of the bottom half of the carbs(twin carb model) are soaked in petrol, around the float bowl. Where could the fuel be leaking from, and what could be causing it? The carb overflow pipes dont appear to be causing the problem.

Cheers,

Stefan

Bike
    19 85 moto guzzi mark 4

Thumbs up Float bulbs

Check the float levels,if you have a manual it will tell you what they should be.This would make the carbs leak petrol and its a simple fix.

Bike
    Honda NT650 The Stealth Bomber
    I had the same problem. 1988 Honda NT 650 stinking of petrol and dripping gas.

Just replaced the Orings/rubber gasket thingies in each carb last week. Voila.

No leakies. The ones in there were hard and flat, definitely past their use by.

I wouldn't have a clue about the layout of your bike so I don't know if this applies to yours.
    Illuc ivi, illud feci.

Buggrim, Buggrit.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Yep as mentioned:

Normal problems:
    1. Seals/gaskets in float bowl a normal problem. Replace.
    2. Float valve needle not sealing properly. Replace needle and often also seat.
    3. Could be loose screws in bowl??
    4. Could be float level. But this normally does not change by it self. Apart from if your float has a hole and fills up with petrol. But in that case your bike runs rich and you would notice.
    5. Dirt in carbi stopping needle from closing.
    6. Or are you parking the bike more on a lean then before? Have you changed the parking from central stand to side stand? If this is the reason, then you still have a problem with the seals/needle. But having the bike parked more on a lean will make the problem worse.

In any case you will need to take float bowl off (if you can do this without taking carbi off, If not, then the carbies come off).

Good Luck.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    None, sadly
    Cheers thanks,

Recently I got the carbs balanced from the shop, and just thinking about it it seems like it only just started after that, so I'll take it back and see what we can do.

Bike parking is unchanged, left the fuel tap on yesterday overnight, just looking at the 2 carbs I could see fuel all over them, mainly on the bottom half.

Cheers,

Stefan

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by wildpudding View Post
    .... fuel all over them, mainly on the bottom half.
    Blame that pesky gravity for that!
    Leak is most likely to be the float bowls not sealing - replace gaskets
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information