Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fibreglassing work

Bike
    Wait for it...but don't hold your breath
    Quote Originally Posted by degrom View Post
    Must have been a practical guy,not after looks but weight!!!
    but gelcoat does not save weight. its just another layer that adds to it, and its about as heavy as resin. so you don't get the weave surface that carbon has, and you're not making it any lighter either. a spray with some normal automotive paint would be lighter...

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-10
    Quote Originally Posted by lordandrevv View Post
    but gelcoat does not save weight. its just another layer that adds to it, and its about as heavy as resin. so you don't get the weave surface that carbon has, and you're not making it any lighter either. a spray with some normal automotive paint would be lighter...

LOL... They did not want the famous Ferrari weaved surface paint job!!!

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordandrevv View Post
    yeah, i would be prettty damn keen on that aye. just that i haven't worked with carbon yet, and its an exciting thought. when would be doing it? I'll bring around some stuff as promised :-)
    Was up pretty late, so didn't get a chance to take any pics, do it when I get home. Did get the mold mostly done though, it's not bad.

Been using an average spray filler primer from repco, getting a little transference from the plug to the mold though. Not sure if it's just the product I'm using, or if it's because I'm working the layup too much and the resin is eating through the release layers. What would you recommend for finishing a plug with?

Flange helped heaps with releasing the mold... just wedge some scrapers between the flange and the plug and hey presto

Bike
    Wait for it...but don't hold your breath
    hey, I would really like to come around sometime to have a talk aye (including yuor transfer issue) lol
    btw a good idea is to make some wedges (triangular pieces of wood) and use those to wedge the unit from the mould (wood can't scrach) lol

love this thread, me and you going on and on, with the occasional coment from someone else lol

Bike
    Bikes!
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

http://www.adhesivetechnologies.co.nz/duratec.html This stuff is supposed to be the shizzle, all the guys on the net who're into composites swear by it for finishing plugs. I'll have to ring the, and see what the deal is.

Bike
    El Scooto
    Hey,

Duratec is pretty good stuff to use, pretty much just a high build sandable primer. but i think it is more expensive then run of the mill gelcoat.

Your issue with spray can primer coming off, is that it probably sticks to the realease better than it does to what ever your spraying, id avoid it where ever you can!

Instead of using gelcoat out of a can, try mixing in some 'micro balloons' or 'filler powder' with some resin for a thick first coat to your mold, let it go tacky, and then lay the fibreglass. will give you a thicker sandable layer.

Sorry if any of this has been covered in the thread already, havent read the whole thing.

AC
    Carbon Fibre is my friend!!!

Bike
    Bikes!
    Yeah, it's coming off the plug, not the mold. Mold is sweet, using a nice solid gelcoat for that I'll sort out a gun and stuff this week, should sort it out.

Bike
    1988 suzuki GN250
    Hi could you do a battery side cover for a GN250. If so how much. Cheers

Bike
    '08 VRSCDX Nightrod special

What's wrong with Nuplex?

Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Do you know of anywhere better here in town to get fibreglass supplies than Nuplex?
    They always have what I want and are always good for techey advice.
    It's better to have ridden and crashed,than never to have ridden at all....R.I.P. Bruce Bennett (old fart-KB.) 1955-2005 posted by Bronwyn Bennett.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by fLaThEaD FreD View Post
    They always have what I want and are always good for techey advice.
    Nothing wrong with Nuplex mate, like you, they always have want I want, and always happy to share what they know.

Would be nice to find other places though, Nuplex have a pretty limited range of weaves etc, and it's always nice to see what else is about Plus, I could be getting tucked on pricing, and with nothing else to compare to, I wouldn't know

Thread Information