Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fibreglassing work

Bike
    Wait for it...but don't hold your breath

Fibreglassing work

hey guys
    I've been working at a fibreglass repairs workshop for almost a year now and I got pretty good at it. If anyone needs fibreglass repairs done in CHC i would be happy to do it for a very reasonable price at home...even bigger things like take a mould of you factory panels and make new fairings.
    I do some work for mates on cars (eg bodykits) and since I'm a bike nut i thought i would do other bikers a favour :-)
    So if i can help with anything let me know
    Andrei

Bike
    Bikes!
    How about carbon work?

Bike
    depends i supose :-) if it involves making a part you already have in carbon it can be done :-) I can't say that i had a lot of experience with carbon yet, but i would be keen, and if it doesn't come out it's gonna be on me. I will talk to my boss about it more this afternoon when i go to work. It's only me and him who work there. He's been in composites for 40 years, and has the workshop for 13 years. That man is the closest thing i have to a role model. He has done everything from yacht building to managing huge boat building comany, working with carbon, kevlar..... so yeah :-D I would be keen and he would tell me how and what to look out for. I'll keep in touch mate

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Sounds cool. I might talk to you sometime (when I actually have some money)

Bike
    lol sure thing mate. as i said I'm not gonna try to get rich of you guys, quite the opposite lol

Bike
    15 ZX10r, 07 ZX10r, 89 ZXR750
    Quote Originally Posted by lordandrevv View Post
    hey guys
    I've been working at a fibreglass repairs workshop for almost a year now and I got pretty good at it. If anyone needs fibreglass repairs done in CHC i would be happy to do it for a very reasonable price at home...even bigger things like take a mould of you factory panels and make new fairings.
    I do some work for mates on cars (eg bodykits) and since I'm a bike nut i thought i would do other bikers a favour :-)
    So if i can help with anything let me know
    Andrei
    Sweet dude, keep a list of moulds you end up doing...
    Freight these days is not a major issue.
    You’re dammed if you do and you’re dammed if you don’t… Bartholomew J. Simpson

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    can you do a race style tailpiece (RS125) if so how much? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...219128.htm?p=3 Like this

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    yup sure could, but as i said I need something to take a mould of . So if you have one, and want more thats easy enough, but to make one from scrach would be a lot of work for something that's just about a one of.

The way to imagine fibreglass is like this: think of a wet cloth that you have about 20 min (maybe more maybe less) to work with, before the liquid turns to jelly and you have to be finished by then otherwise you are screwed lol. It dries in a few hours and is completley hard in about 24 (can be less). So in order to make a tail like that i need to have one and put the wet cloth over it, to take that shape and let it dry, as the cloth does not have a shape of its own (opposite of metal). This object that is an image of the original is called a mould. Then you have to repeat the procces, but lay the cloth on the inside of the mould for it to take the shape of the original item. This mould can be used a lot of times (actual number depends on how well the mould is made).

This is a simplified version of what happens, but there is more to it. eg: the mould of that tail is made of two pieces, as you couldn't get it out otherwise. The line runing down the midle of it in the picture is the seam where the two parts of the mould met, and there was a little crest that had to be sanded down.

As for cost i could do it for less than the buy now in that auction. I would say about 100-120ish a piece once the mould is made. Thats just a guess from a picture. Another factor for the price is how thick you want it (rember it can be made thicker in desired areas only, doesn't have to be thicker all over)

Anyway, hope i have made things more clear for you on how it works. If you are more confused, sorry. I've never been good at explaining things in writing lol
    Andrei

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kflasher View Post
    Sweet dude, keep a list of moulds you end up doing...
    Freight these days is not a major issue.
    haha hope i will have that many :-) once you have that mould freight is not a problem indeed. Will keep people up to date every now and then with what i got

Bike
    Bikes!
    Do you know of anywhere better here in town to get fibreglass supplies than Nuplex?

Bike
    it al depends how much and what exactly. I would get my polyester resin and glass mat, PVA of work. I would get it for what my boss gets it, and we buy it in bulk. If i was to do carbon, i would probably end up geting the epoxy resin from somewhere like nuplex, pj hobbs or (southern?) composite suplies. Carbon matt i would have to look around, but i saw someone selling it at a pretty good price no TM

Bike
    Bikes!
    The plan is to make a carbon battery box undertray. I've got the plug design worked out, and will hopefully be finished soon. From that, I want to make a fibreglass mold, and then a carbon part. I'm guessing I'll need about 2m of carbon, plus an appropriate resin as the exhaust pipes are about 10-15mm away from it. For the mold, would you recommend that I use matt or chopped strand? And do you think a gelcoat would be beneficial on the mold, given that I want to make a carbon part from it? The weather is finally getting warmer!

Bike
    yup, that sounds good :-) That's going to be quite a big part if you need that much carbon lol. From what i know normal epoxy resin will do the trick with the heat issue, might pay to call someone like nuplex and ask tho. I like using 450g/m2 (230g/m2 is alright to tho, just takes longer lol) chopped strand (CSM). If the CSM has to go around a tighter corner it might pay to rip it along that ridge, and posibly use smaller pieces on that particular area, in order to avoid air pockets. This won't affect the strenght of the mould at all. I would definatley reccomend gelcoat, as you get a very good finish on it, and you can sand and buff imperfestions out of it. I will tell you now that it's not easy sanding tho lol it gets pretty hard.
    Dont forget to wax the plug and mould very well (having a job sticking to the mould is really horrible).
    If you want to buy the glass and resin pretty cheap, its best to go to a boatbuilder. If you want to i can get you some from work.
    The weather is getting better now aye. its lots of fun having to glass stuff at stupidly low temperatures because some guy wants his boat before the weekend lol (we had to get the heaters on the job)
    Thats all i can think of atm

Bike
    Bikes!
    Cheers for your help. It's not so much that the part is big, it's just that I'd rather spend more on carbon and take longer making it, to make a thicker part, because the carbon is essentially going to insulate the ECU and battery from the headers. I'm making a sandwiched portion with a heatshield between two bits, hard to describe, if you PM me your email address I'll send you some pics of the design if you like.

Bike
    PMed :-) .

Thread Information