Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 188cm tall and in need of 250cc bike. Any Ideas?

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Only 188cm? I'm over 2m and I ride a Hyosung GT250R with the bottom half of the fairing removed. I don't have any photos of it but it looks just like the Hyosung GT650S Tourer seen here http://www.hyosung.com.au/Products/GT650S-Tourer.html

Personally I found the sports bikes to be more comfortable than any cruiser or dual purpose bike. But take any bike you fancy for a test ride before you buy and SHOP AROUND.

Get quotes from insurance companies.

If you have a problem with the length of pants (especially when you are on the motorbike), then I recommend Dragin Jeans. They do a tall mens range but I had to get myself a custom pair (Silverbacks) plus I wear motocross knee & shin guards for impact protection. They're the best fitting pair of jeans I've ever had

Also, sit on the bike you plan to get while wearing all the gear you intend to get. EG: While your standing, the jacket fits you well but once you're on the bike you may find the jacket no longer fits.

Welcome to KB

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    I am 6ft 3inch + and just under 100kg and I rode a ZXR 250 (Top of the line 4 cyclinder machine that handles brilliantly) and I was A) Fast (not a priority when buying your 250cc bike however), B) Comfortable. I highly recommend them.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Hyosung 250 Comet
    Although some people don't like them and the quality is not quite up to Japanese and European standard, size wise the Hyosung GT250R & Comet are full size bikes with a 250cc motor. I'm 6'4" and it's about the only 250 that doesn't make me look silly when I sit on it. Sure, if looks aren't that important then some of the other previously mentioned machines will do the biz.
    There are no strangers in Kiwi Biker, only friends I haven't yet met.

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR
    Just popped my Bandit on Trademe a few minutes ago - it would suit a larger rider as it's pretty big for a 250.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...375522&ed=true

See my KB bike-trader listing too.

Ross.
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Bike
    Yes I do
    Another vote for the ZXR250A from me, I'm 6'2" and it was the only 'sporty' 250 that fit, the cbr250rr was laugh out loud small on me.

I loved that ZXR, I was sure it had a powerband kick at around 15krpm

Kept it for a while after I got a ZXR750 and rode it again after a couple of months... Ha ha... It was like riding a ten speed pushbike.

Sedge.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    For the gear issue, I second the idea that you try the gear on then sit on a bike with it on. Suddenly the bottoms of the trousers are half way up your shins and the sleeves of the jacket are leaving drafts around your wrists!

Get properly fitting gear even if you're intending to upgrade soon. All the armour needs to be comfortable and sit in the right places on your knees, elbows and shoulders. If it's not comfortable you'll be tempted to leave it off... which rather defeats the purpose.

Also I can recommend an extremely good personal shopper based on the north shore who will take you around to all the shops and show you what properly-fitting gear looks and feels like. Then you can take a look on trademe etc once you know what to look for. He's got a bit of a sore shoulder at the moment so he might not be up to shopping right now... but he might also be desperate to get out of the house! PM me for his details

And good luck with your new adventure-hobby-obsession

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C View Post

Personally I found the sports bikes to be more comfortable than any cruiser or dual purpose bike. But take any bike you fancy for a test ride before you buy and SHOP AROUND.
    Do a 8 hour ride and see how you feel :P
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Suzuki A50
    I am 193cm tall (maby more but not much) and i have one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...56767.htm?p=10
    Would cost about 600-800 to get it back on the road depending on what needs doing to it. Fantastic bikes and able to handle a big rider. It is only 6cm shorter (length ways) than the 1100cc and 4cm shorter (hight) than the 1100.
    So that is my pick.

Bike
    MV Agusta Brutale 1090R 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurrball View Post
    Just popped my Bandit on Trademe a few minutes ago - it would suit a larger rider as it's pretty big for a 250.
    A friend of mine had a '93 bandit. I'm 6'3" and when I sat on it it felt tiny.
    Saying that the pic on your auction looks bigger than the bike I sat on, maybe the rear shock was wound all the way down or something.

My partners just got a ZZR, and it feels a bit small but is basically big enough. While looking I sat on a number of bikes she was looking at:
    Kawasaki ZXR, Kawasaki Balius, Suzuki GSXR, Honda Jade, Honda Hornet

The Hornet was the only bike that felt big enough (and my Hyosung of course)

Depends on your budget I guess. You dont seem to find a Hornet or Hyosung for anything much less than around $6k. I've seen some cheaper hyosungs on trademe, but they always seem to mention damage/problems

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Everyone has failed to mention motards. They have tall seats which would suit you, the handlebars can be moved or replaced, they're tough and dropping it won't be as costly as a sportsbike, some are reliable air cooled single cylinders that require little maintainence and they're cool. The Honda XR250 and Kawasaki D-Tracker would be excellent. A mate of mine had both of them and thought they were excellent bikes.

Not all are reliable and mainainence-less, there are the motocross derived bikes that are awesomely quick but require engine rebuilds fairly regulary, such as the Yamaha WR250 and the Suzuki RMX250 (link isn't a road legal example). However if you're not going to be doing many k's and you want performance, you might want to look into them.

Bike
    2007 Hyosung Aquila GV250
    Id recommend the GT250 (more so than the GTR) Hyo but either is good the GTR has dual front discs and a couple of other niceties over the GT but the GT you can get for 5,900 incl onroad from some dealers like baycity I think the GT has a nicer seating style and is apparently faster? but I recommend you test drive both.

If your after second hand I dont recommend the CBR's they are far too popular in the 250cc class so hard to get a bargain definently worth buying in the higher cc range, something like a hornet with that lovely rear wheel is a winner.

As for the XR250 other than being a dirt bike, definently! never been a fan of the XL though mind you I grew up driving the XR (ahem, illegally) down the highways (rural area) nobleys and all.

IF your after something quick well then any 250 2 stroke will kick a 4 , but I still prefer the later :0

Thread Information