Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic Ducati help needed

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by idb
    massage that beauty awake with your trembling thumb, knowing that you are about to receive your just reward for the love and affection you have showered on her
    And just like the other sort, she may or may not respond to the thumb. And you'll never know until you try.

kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    Early Dukes are OK to look at and run up to the shop for coffee but you better be a brilliant mechanic (not to mention a rich one). I have mate in aussie that is a genuine hexpert but his wife thinks he is a nut job (she is a Guzzi fan)
    I've wanted a Ducati for years (like nearly 30), but the horror stories and servicing costs have put me off. I do have a Ducati keyring though...

Quote Originally Posted by BigKnobPaul
    Mate... Buy an old Guzzi!! It will add inches to your knob, seldom break down, cost peanuts to run and you can look forwards to endless fun composing emails like this!!
    Is that true, Mr Paul? Really?
    Should I trade my FahrtSturm in on one?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    748R and a Magic All Yellow
    My thanks to the genuine offers of help.

To all the pragmatists and realists knockin the old Dukes - c'mon love requires some hard work but its all worth it in the end.... :love2:

Its not me buying it either - I can't afford it or the maintenance. But I am all for spending a friends money on a bike I might get to ride but never have to repair!!!

Its a Pantah by the way with no where near 40-50k on it... mmmmmm

Mooch, Idb, PaulinNZ, Bonez - cheers
    idb - Love the avatar by the way - can you PM me a larger version?
    PaulinNZ - how do I get hold of this Pantah Pete guy?

Bike
    BSA A10
    What model Pantah?

I used to ride my brothers a bit and it was quite a sweet little bike,even crashed it for him as well

in 4-5 years of ownership the only problem he ever had with it was the ignition switch failing and it used to get hammered just about everytime he rode it,however after he sold it it broke a transmission shaft by this time it was up around the 75000km mark

At the same time I had a Darmah and despite all the bullshit stories about bevel drive unreliabilty from numerous tossers who have never owned a Ducati in there life,I covered about 50,000km in 6 years with the only problems being a big end which was replaced by V2 enginering under warrenty as the hardening wasn't up to scratch,the Japanese battery crapping out and the starter motor packing up

Yes they require more maintainence which is sometimes more expensive than a Jappa,but at the end of the day I always thought it was well worth it to be riding something slighly different than the rest of the crowd.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Ducati Pantah. Didn't Dallas Rankine crash one of those up with an alarming degree of regularity back in the early 80s?

Must admit that the Pantah was the only Duck of that era which even appealed to me, but it was ok because I had an RD400.

Good luck. It's always good to see guys looking after the older bikes.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Hi guys, I'm here.

Bonez contact in P/North knows heaps about older Ducs and also Michael Dobson at Bike Clinic is a guru on them too. One of my mates has an S2 and an MHR, and Michael is forever working on them (not a criticism, they are absolutely beautiful bikes and the sound of those Contis.....does things to a girl!!)

One question Bodge: does your mate live in Wellington? (I note you live in Auckland and couldn't figure out why you wanted to know about people in the Wgtn area.)

One of my mates has just bought a mint Darmah, and one of his mechanic mates works on it.

PM me if you want some contact details. If PaulinNZ hasn't gotten back to you with Pantah Pete's details give me a PM and I'll give you his contact details.

Bodge: Good luck to your mate - old Ducs are wonderful beasts. (And so are the new ones!!) Tell your mate to join KB and touch base with some of us Wgtn-ites so we can meet up and drool over his new baby!!

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    Holy shit - I've just realised I said "Michael Dobson at Bike Clinic". I'm in a time warp!! Must be a Freudian slip harking back to the "good old days"......

Michael Dobson is at Motorad. (For non Wgtn-ites: sort of the same shop, now with a new name) (new name happened about six years ago......)

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Well what do you know :Kickaha : 50,000 big end 's. Just as I said in my post funny that ! Some do alot more K's some less . Just the luck of the draw . Have owned 2 Ducati's & riden shit loads of old one's . A great friend rebuilds Ducati cranks & rod,s / Big end's & complete motor's for a living so seen heap's apart. My pick would be a "1984MHR 900" or a "750 round
    case" .Seen one at the last Ducati Feast I had my 93 907ie at . A guy had owned it from brand new sweet .The so called Tosser's you talk of may have only heard about the problem's Ducati's have but all bike's give some trouble . Had none with either of mine SENSEI

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Ducati always seems to insipire emotion, either way!

Every Duke i have ridden has felt pretty good to ride but they have a lot in common with Triumph twins... You love the ride but you just can't help feeling that the crank is about to explode or some other mechanical disaster is just a revolution away. You ride em with 2 fingers over the clutch... They just feel a bit brittle to me....

Guzzis (and some Nortons) have a more solid feel. The guzzi feels like it can be run harder and longer than a Duke BUT will probably have just as many incidents. With a Guzzi you can usually kick most of the bit's straight and keep going though! Parts are a bunch cheaper as well....

Anyway! That's just my opinion!! It's worth what you paid for it.

Once you know what you are doing with Ducatis they are pretty simple though a bit time consuming.

Out of politeness to Pete, please send me your details and I'll get him to contact you eh? Pete is a bit, erm, different shall we say (in a nice excentric mad as a box of frogs kinda way). Lynida might have to back me up here but he's not quite mainstream... In fact it would be fair to say he is so non mainstream he has forgotten what water looks like... Decent, helpful guy though!!

Up to you!

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei 509
    My pick would be a "1984MHR 900" or a "750 round

I'd agree with the roundcase but would go for the MHR 1000 they have a better bottom end
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    ninja 250
    Wasnt there someone on KB that had a basket case 750 sport for sale, was selling complete or considering parting out? Actually a Pantah would be a good choice, but are you looking for a project to restore or ride straight away? what sort of money are you looking at spending?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    Out of politeness to Pete, please send me your details and I'll get him to contact you eh? Pete is a bit, erm, different shall we say (in a nice excentric mad as a box of frogs kinda way). Lynda might have to back me up here but he's not quite mainstream... In fact it would be fair to say he is so non mainstream he has forgotten what water looks like... Decent, helpful guy though!!
    You probably know him a bit better than me Paul, he is a bit different, but as you say a very decent helpful bloke. (and hey, wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone was as perfect as me?? )

Bike
    748R and a Magic All Yellow
    Its a 650 SL Pantah - and he is looking for top condition. I believe he is committed to the maintenance but wants to start with the best example he can find ie. no restoration needed.

When I am wealthy enought to have a bike I don't have to ride every day I want a 900SS just like this baby...

mmmmmmmm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900SS Beautiful.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	4057  

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    There'sa Black one owned by Craig Flood the owner of Energy Honda in New Plymouth & it's Mint & for Sale SENSEI

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Thread Information