Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Places to practice list

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Another Auckland one - Unitec. Accessible from Carrington Road.

It's got everything - big empty car parks, roads with stop signs, give way signs & pedestrian crossings, speed bumps, all in pleasant park-like surroundings. So you can choose whether you want to practise slow-speed car park stuff, or start getting up to speed and changing gear on some of the internal roads.

Pretty much empty during weekends and Uni holidays.

One hazard to watch out for: learner car drivers in the car parks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unitec smaps.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	70952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unitec google.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	704.6 KB 
ID:	70953  

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    Wellington - Makara

The Makara road between Karori and Johnsonville has been ideal for learning to corner, and slightly lean (Hey, i'm still new at this). And the Makara cemetery has also been awesome, some longish empty roads, with a few roundabouts thrown in, for low speed maneuvering and whatnot, plus it's practically dead (Ba-Dum Tish!) traffic wise.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubba Gubba View Post
    Wellington - Makara

The Makara road between Karori and Johnsonville has been ideal for learning to corner, and slightly lean (Hey, i'm still new at this). And the Makara cemetery has also been awesome, some longish empty roads, with a few roundabouts thrown in, for low speed maneuvering and whatnot, plus it's practically dead (Ba-Dum Tish!) traffic wise.
    Actually cemeteries seem to be an untapped resource for learning to ride in! The Purewa Cemetery in St Johns (Auckland) also has lots of quiet little roads - quiet being the key word! I'm not advocating swarms of newbies trying hill-starts! But it's a pleasant place to have a practise pootle if you're in the area.

Bike
    GSX650F K9
    Blog Entries
    Korea > Here's one I know of in the Wellington region. WElltec Carpark - UDY/Britannia str Petone .. Mostly deserted on weekends when the learn to ride courses etc aren't on. And during the week, can sometimes find the whole carpark deserted. (plus its got all the obstacles marked out that you have to practice for )

Will find some more for you and post them..

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    Another Auckland one - Unitec. Accessible from Carrington Road.

It's got everything - big empty car parks, roads with stop signs, give way signs & pedestrian crossings, speed bumps, all in pleasant park-like surroundings. So you can choose whether you want to practise slow-speed car park stuff, or start getting up to speed and changing gear on some of the internal roads.

Pretty much empty during weekends and Uni holidays.

One hazard to watch out for: learner car drivers in the car parks!
    Personally I go to the school and it has been my home ground for biking
    If you see some skidmarks on the ground... then... errmm.... that'll be me lol

P.S. after 5pm = no car, after 12am = kick ass practicing ground.

PM me if you want some training in Unitec, I know everything

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by EJKDDORAI View Post
    P.S. after 5pm = no car, after 12am = kick ass practicing ground.

PM me if you want some training in Unitec, I know everything
    Can you teach me how to wheelie?

Bike
    '18 Duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmj View Post
    Couple of large empty overflow carparks here to practise on... Oteha Valley road just of SH1
    Yeh, this would be an excellent place, plenty of good roads around it too if you feel like adventuring

Bike
    None at the moment
    thanks guys for those good pointers on places to learn....it certainly is a "mature" approach. I am sure we can all find some place to go after work...When I learnt I had a prison road and carpark to use......my old man was a prison occifer

(i am trying not to get abusive to the above post....trying not to get pissed off)

Bike
    '18 Duke 390
    Did i say something ?

Bike
    None at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Did i say something ?
    nah mate....he is just an a-hole so i would not worry

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200
    South Auckland - Panmure

Found this one yesterday (Saturday), practising some emergency braking. Got a couple of weird looks from the dude reading/snooznig in his car on his lunch break, but other than that was prettymuch empty.
    Up behind the KFC opposite the bowling alley and Miss Q's on E-P Highway.
    Entry off Mountain Rd / Ford Way (this end of the carpark was deserted), it exits out by the KFC (follows that dark grey loop thingie, one way bit)

Moderate sized carpark, but with the majority empty had plenty of room to get a good run-up for E-stops etc. Plenty large enough for learning.

Practice safe y'all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parkin.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	81739  
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    2004 ZX6R
    east tamaki, 121 harris rd behind baeurepairs is a good little spot, deserted in weekend ,and most nights but there is a truck stop there so you get the odd truck, well lit at night and acess from 2 roads

Bike
    04 hyosung comet 250....in black!!!!
    Does anyone know of any more on the north shore??? like around the takapuna/devonport area???
    No good deed goes unpunished...Leakproof seals-will...selfstarters-will not...Interchangeable parts-won't...In order to get a loan u need to prove u dont need it!!

Bike
    Cagiva Xtra Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Learner View Post
    Does anyone know of any more on the north shore??? like around the takapuna/devonport area???
    I normally go to the carpark of the North Shore Event Centre to practise, there's no lights there (I think) so not so good at night, but whenever I've been there it's been pretty much deserted. Turn into Silverfield off Porana Road and you're there.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Edgecumbe, Bay of Plenty.

Here's a grassy park with some nice open spaces, and some trees and other well-spaced obstacles, perfect for absolute newbies practicing constant radius turns, figure eights, and slow-riding/balance following lines in the grass that the mower has left behind. Enter the park on Kauri street next to the hall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...7296&z=17&om=0

Yes, it's GRASS. Dry weather only.

Kids play there after school - don't get one caught in your spokes !!

It's across the road from the police station, but you have nothing to hide do you ? and cops are here to help.. ay..

This is not a good place to get any speed on AT ALL, but it's great for slow stuff, and you drop your bike on it and you will just get grass in the grips and fold the mirror around.

Technically, you probably shouldn't riding around a council grassy reserve, so be cool ok. If you get told off, please let me know and I will amend or remove this site.

HTH,
    DB

Thread Information