Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Places to practice list

Bike
    2002 Suzuki FXR150
    The carpark at the AMI Netball Centre in St Johns (where the Pink Ribbon ride started) has been good for me. Large space, can practice a bit of everything there. First time I went it was empty, last weekend there was a learner driver (a good one thankfully) and a stunt rider which was pretty cool to watch him practice.
    And just around the corner from there is Tamaki Campus of Auckland Uni. I taught my bro to drive there a couple of years back, haven't tried it for riding yet. Just another carpark with some speed bumps and pedestrian crossings.

Bike
    -
    Sorry if its already been mentioned but the untic campus on carrington road (auckland) plenty of car park space but also alot of quiet/private 'road space' especially at this time of year when the place is void of students.

just have to look out for the odd learner car driver too evry nw and then.

Bike
    coming soon...again
    Um at the risk of sounding stupid (incase its already been mentioned and i went straight past it) but are there any good places to practice here in Palmy that anyone knows of? preferably quiet or relatively quiet (to reduce the newbie nerves and saving probbable embarassement of offing infront of ppl )
    "It takes more love to share the saddle than it does to share the bed..."

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Tauranga

Thanks to the "recession, there are some nice roads out in The Lakes subdivision.

Come off SH 29 at the roundabout where the toll road comes out, and go on into The Lakes to the first roundabout in the subdivision. Turn right towards the industrial area, there are a couple of straights with roundabouts at either end, there's a hill up to the industrial area which is deserted after work hours and on weekends, and a couple of large cul de sacs for slow turns. Just be careful, cause I'm giving my son his car driving lessons there, but he's been taught to look out for motorbikes and give them plenty of room.

At that first roundabout in The Lakes, you can go straight ahead then turn right out toward the developed but unsold residential areas where the roads are largely deserted, there are some houses in pockets and a few local drivers - but that's good for your awareness training.

Bike
    2010 Hyosung GT250N
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenral View Post
    This is a cool circuit near my area, outside of Waihi. About 15k loop, hardly any traffic.
    Nice spot Jenral. I was thinking of open road practice on Trigg Road when the time comes (live in Waihi Beach) but your loop probably has much less traffic.

Scorp

Bike
    2010, Triumph, Speedmaster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Princesszxr View Post
    Um at the risk of sounding stupid (incase its already been mentioned and i went straight past it) but are there any good places to practice here in Palmy that anyone knows of? preferably quiet or relatively quiet (to reduce the newbie nerves and saving probbable embarassement of offing infront of ppl )
    I don't know about reducing nerves, but the carpark at highbury whanau centre (next to monrad intermediate) is really quiet on a sunday - good for practising those figure 8's.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250 Invader
    NORTH SHORE, AUCKLAND

I'd also recommend the overflow car-parks on Oteha Valley Rd, across the road from Mitre 10 Mega store, and NS Events Centre car-park. Week days they are pretty much empty. Most of the bigger sports grounds have large car-park areas as well.

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Thumbs up For the Westies

Had my bike for a few days, and found a really nice spot out west.
    Lake Panorama Drive and the surrounding area has been completely developed, lots and lots of very nice houses with very tidy new roads, hardly any traffic (as many of the houses are still of sale). Lots of round abouts, Give ways, Stop sign etc as well
    Great place to get up to speed with handling, 1st gear take offs and tight circle turning.

Bike
    Slightly over sized bandit and busa.

Highbrook area

places like Kerwyn ave and around the courier post. Completely deserted on the weekend, so all of the roads are perfect to practice. few roundabouts, few low speed turns, great straights for speed confidence. And massive area overall.

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Rugby Club Rooms at Ian Galloway Park off Old Karori Road is brill for beginner riders in Wellington. If you have a pocket bike they also have a dirt track next door.

Also, Waitarere is a great place for novice riders to learn to ride around. Nice and flat and the beach is a recognised road with a 30kph speed limit.

Bike
    half litre street beater
    If you're in central Auckland, I spent a lot of time learning to ride in the upper deck carpark at St. Lukes shopping centre.
    Go there after 6pm on any day excluding Thursday and Friday (late night shopping) and it's an awesome place to practise emergency braking and low-speed control.

The best part to do it in is that section of carpark to the right by Cornwallis Street, it's large and open and well-lit. The tall lamp posts are also good markers to do figure-eights and turns around for learners getting used to leaning the bike.

View Larger Map
    You want some advice - lightning strikes once, it does not strike twice!

Bike
    GSX-R600 '09
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Boop View Post
    Theres is a huge car park where the hockey park is on mt albert rd, newtown-ish area

Its where i started!!!

its great for learning to turn at low speeds and just getting used to handling your bike -although the car park is big enough to get out of second gear its a start

They have put speed bumps and raised bits between the parks there now, so this isnt as good anymore, no screw up space.
    Still probably one of the better ones in the central area though.

Bike
    1988 CBR250R
    What about Nelson?? anyone know of good places apart from Saxton Field Car Park? And or easy rides out country?

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ER6-n
    Blog Entries
    In West Auckland there is the Trusts Stadium carpark, and if that's too public, the about 100m down the road is the Te Pai netball centre carpark, nice and secluded mid week if you're scared of dropping your bike with passers-by watching

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ER6-n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac3_snow View Post
    Sorry if its already been mentioned but the untic campus on carrington road (auckland) plenty of car park space but also alot of quiet/private 'road space' especially at this time of year when the place is void of students.

just have to look out for the odd learner car driver too evry nw and then.
    Ahhh this is where I sat my basic handling. The campus is big with 40kmh limit, stops signs, turnaround areas etc. And dead quiet during weekends (esp in summer)

Thread Information