Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Places to practice list

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R

Places to practice list

i started riding not long ago and first got on two wheels at an empty parking lot, like i am sure a lot of others did too. there have been a few posts lately from new riders not knowing where to go to and get started/practice away from traffic, and as a result having to get started on busy roads which i would imagine being rather scary. just thinking it would be a good idea to put up a list of some of the places where it is safe to practice. everyone else feel free to contribute.

Business Park Carpark, Sultan St off Gt South Road. Enter at traffic lights opposite AA Penrose 36°54'4.19"S 174°48'31.83"E
    Business park, mostly deserted during the weekend. a few company cars parked about but generally you can find some large clear areas. theres even a multistorey carpark structure, but its got barrier arms (possible to get around if you are on a bike ), and a small round about to practice on

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Back Carpark, 3kings Shopping Centre. Enter from Mt Eden Road
    I think these ones serve the council offices in 3kings, so are mostly deserted in weekends. However since they are near the shopping centre there is a fair bit of through traffic at times. The small drive to the left/west goes to a daycare centre and a locked gate with some council utilities beyond so its quite safe, but do watch for traffic from the shopping mall turning into the road from the other parking lots.

Hugo Johnstone Drive, Penrose
    Dead end street in an industrial area. mostly deserted during the weekend, especially the part at the very end that goes nowhere except some sort of power plant. some small workshops in the area working on weekends so occasional traffic. couple of also dead end sidestreets as well.

nb work in progress, will edit in more details as i go along.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Interesting... I should go there during the weekends and practice wheelies lol jks .

Great find, thanks

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Good on ya for starting a thread like this... here's one for people in Hamilton (both north Te Rapa, near the Base, which is probably a good place to practice too, although I don't know if their security will have anything to say about that)...
    The first one is empty on weekends, and I've been told personally by the Police that it is fine to practice in this carpark.

The 2nd one is busy on weekends until 6pm-ish, and is averagely lighted for night-time use... As long as your bike is WOF'd and Rego'd, and it's not after 10pm (unless you're on your full license), this is also a good place to practice, as it's bigger than the 1st one. This is where our Friday night meets ended up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACC Carpark Map.GIF 
Views:	135 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	67213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bedpost Map.GIF 
Views:	133 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	67214  
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Tiger 800
    Couple of large empty overflow carparks here to practise on... Oteha Valley road just of SH1

Name:	oteha.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	67558  

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    oh yeah thats a very good one. one of my lecturers was doing tests for a remote control self navigating car there for the DARPA grand challenge. though a bit far away from me so i didnt think to mention it

Bike
    Gone
    Heres another. Just up the road from MRGS high school. Great big carpark. Locked up in the evenings, but with a convenient gap big enough to let a bike through.

Name:	praccy.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	67896  

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    haha i was at that place the other day on official/work related business. they are one of our suppliers that i am trying to get to do something for us. i rolled up there in the great big holden ute (work vehicle, i aint complaining) and though "why wouldnt this be great for bike practice......"

Bike
    FLHTCUI & Suzuki LS 650
    [QUOTE=carbacca;1151915]i started riding not long ago and first got on two wheels at an empty parking lot, like i am sure a lot of others did too. there have been a few posts lately from new riders not knowing where to go to and get started/practice away from traffic, and as a result having to get started on busy roads which i would imagine being rather scary. just thinking it would be a good idea to put up a list of some of the places where it is safe to practice. everyone else feel free to contribute.

Hi.I think it's neat that you have iedntified places for practising.
    Have you thought of the Whenuapai Air Base where Ride Right Ride Safe put you through your paces? I went and practised what I'd learnt at one of these courses.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    yeah i went to the course too. but i wouldnt imagine they would let you in too happily outside of course times

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    i have just spotted this one coming up the motorway; the carpark lot of ellerslie racecourse, where they have the carfairs on sunday. zipped past on the motorway this afternoon (satruday) and it was big, empty and deserted, although i havent actually tried to find my way into it.

Name:	ellerslie racecourse.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	68064  

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    In Christchurch the best place to practice would be Addington racecourse/Westpac stadium (providing there is no racing/events on of course) .

Lots of space and a fairly good surface (including some roads that no one will be on if there is nothing on). Good for most week days, some weekends.

Racing is typically:

Tuesday - Greyhounds (not a bad day, not many people and most the car park will be empty)
    Either Thursday/Friday - Harness or dual code (avoid typically, much more people)
    Weekends - Usually no racing, but likely to be events, so check it out.

Bike
    Harley, 2003 Dyna
    For those living in Hamilton you can try the University of Waikato Car park, through Gate 1 off Knighton Road (entrance going to the gym). This place will be like a ghost town once the students take off and it is massive.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Dunedin the best place is the Ice Skating Rink Car Park

Name:	cp-1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	69342  

Bike
    '06 Honda Fartblood
    Anyone got any tips for Wellington region?
    Keep it rubber-side down...

Bike
    Suzuki GN250 - 2005
    AUCKLAND

These are where I practiced- first is a park in Newmarket/Remuera close to Newmarket Park.
    The carpark is fairly deserted- long and with a few speedbumps which are very small (didn't slow me down at all, more fun than hindrance!). On rugby days it will be packed, but it's otherwise a great place to practice if you can get there.

Will post the other late, but it's the Auckland Domain- perfect for a first foray into traffic as it's slow, safe, varied in possible routes, lots of corners and lots of places to pull over if you need a break.

Thread Information