Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Places to practice list

Bike
    Aprilia ETX 150
    Wellington - gotta mention the Evans Bay marina car park on Evans Bay Pde. Always open and deserted on weekdays save for a few fishing trips coming and going. Excellent for BHS practice and even some intersection-esque practice through the boat sheds. Packs out on weekends though.
    Last edited by evanrw; 7th May 2015 at 19:22. Reason: Additional info

Bike
    imaginary one
    Just as a heads up to Christchurch newbies, at some point greyhound racing will be moved to Mondays. I wouldn't worry about it too much because no one goes. Closer to November the car park near the track will fill up with Cup Week crap but you'll be right.

Bike
    Cornwall Park aka One Tree Hill is the original practice place in Epsom, though I did see on Fair Go an unlicensed rider getting ticketed there for riding there without a license. Auckland Central Domain roads would be good too I imagine and thirdly Long Bay car parks and roads (a few too many speed bumps though). All three would be good places outside of great picnic / beach times and weather.

For a more advanced and actual road practice the Dairy Flat Highway and East Coast Bays road North of Glamorgan Drive and the surrounding roads of both were recommended to me and they're great, as they're generally well maintained and nowadays with SH1 cutting through the middle of them both they're only used by locals and car thieves also being semi-rural there is very, very little traffic. Also they were designed for much higher usage with Dairy Flat Highway being SH1 sometime ago. Another similar road is Upper Harbour Drive, which I will check out shortly.

If anyone could recommend any more roads or areas around the North Shore and / or West Auckland that have very little traffic and are well maintained that would be great.

Bike
    2007 kawasaki gpx250
    Highbrow business park is great, barely ever any cars in the whole area. It also gives you the opportunity to riDe on a proper road, practice turns and these some roundabouts too

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hokckeyholic View Post
    Highbrow business park is great, barely ever any cars in the whole area. It also gives you the opportunity to riDe on a proper road, practice turns and these some roundabouts too
    you mean highbrook?

Gremlin: comment removed
    Last edited by Gremlin; 22nd November 2016 at 00:30. Reason: Unnecessary comment removed

Bike
    2007 kawasaki gpx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    you mean highbrook?

Gremlin: comment removed
    Yes, yes I do

Damn autocorrect

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I rode with North Harbour Ulysses last weekend from Canaveral Drive off Triton Drive in the Rosedale Industrial area, and that area would seem to be quiet on a weekend, Arranway Drive too. Another weekend area would be off Bush Rd - Tarndale Grove, Piermark Drive, Beatrice Tinsley Cres and William Pickering Drive . Thats just south west of Albany, quite a good cafe in William Pickering Drive, and the Pie Shop at the northern end of old Albany village is good too.

For a slightly more confident learner I'd recommend the Albany, Coatesville, Rivershead road, 80 km/hr restricted, not much traffic but the Coatesville market every so often means heavy roadside parking in the village. Good cafe (Kauri Gum Cafe) in Rivershead too. And you can make a loop of it back on the Kumeu road and across through Whenuapai to the North Harbour motorway and back to Albany or the Northern motorway, or head on back to the city centre on the NW Motorway.

Bike
    KLR650 2008

Post Map

Hi!

For my first post, I'd like to contribute something: a map with most of the places around Auckland mentionned in this thread, plus a few more.

https://goo.gl/maps/jbxS6mq9Zus

Kept me busy while I wait a few more days for my first motorcycle :x

Bike
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    The crematorium in invercargill, massive car park empty most of the time, intersection and islands to practice with

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    No good if unlicenced, however....

The new-ish subdivision out the back of Cambridge - Thornton, near St Kilda Rd - was where we went for part of the Ride Forever course. Quiet roads, lots of roundabouts etc. Suburban.
    I tend to do a lot near to home, yesterday I spent an hour going up and down almost all the lanes off Newell Rd (just south of Riverlea/Hillcrest, in Hamilton). There is one gravel lane and one sealed (private) lane that do not have turnarounds at the ends, but the rest do. The road itself is 80kmph but I can tootle around at 20-50 while practicing slow speed skills on the lanes.
    If I go past the school and church near the Tamahere interchange, I can go down the old SH (Tamahere Drive) which now runs adjacent to the expressway and links to Pickering and Pencarrow Rds... So many 'loops' around ie Pickering/Bruntwood/Lee Martin, or Pencarrow/Day Rd/Tamahere Drive. If you want a nice twisty ride, Pickering to Bruntwood to Zig Zag, Fencourt, Maungakawa and around Te Miro hill is lovely, also leads over to Whitehall and the road that ends up back on SH1 at Karapiro (at the Mobil)... Then zip over the dam and back via Mystery Creek... Can ride all day

Went to Gate 10 / Uni carpark when I was learning to drive a car years ago, not sure if it's still quiet but would imagine so. Gate 1 probably also quiet but as it is the entrance to the Halls and Rec centre, may be busier than Gate 10.

Bike
    xt660r
    I like those Te Miro karapiro bits as well. and the waingaro --> raglan road once the confidence is there, but actually the bit from waingaro to waikaretu / nikau cafe is better as less traffic.

when i was practicing slow stuff / u-turns I went to some of the industrial car parks up te-rapa / Maui street, as they are empty on weekends ( or were). basically i wanted an empty car-park with lots of little islands to turn around.

speaking of which , i need to go practise, getting lazy

Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    No good if unlicenced, however....

The new-ish subdivision out the back of Cambridge - Thornton, near St Kilda Rd - was where we went for part of the Ride Forever course. Quiet roads, lots of roundabouts etc. Suburban.
    I tend to do a lot near to home, yesterday I spent an hour going up and down almost all the lanes off Newell Rd (just south of Riverlea/Hillcrest, in Hamilton). There is one gravel lane and one sealed (private) lane that do not have turnarounds at the ends, but the rest do. The road itself is 80kmph but I can tootle around at 20-50 while practicing slow speed skills on the lanes.
    If I go past the school and church near the Tamahere interchange, I can go down the old SH (Tamahere Drive) which now runs adjacent to the expressway and links to Pickering and Pencarrow Rds... So many 'loops' around ie Pickering/Bruntwood/Lee Martin, or Pencarrow/Day Rd/Tamahere Drive. If you want a nice twisty ride, Pickering to Bruntwood to Zig Zag, Fencourt, Maungakawa and around Te Miro hill is lovely, also leads over to Whitehall and the road that ends up back on SH1 at Karapiro (at the Mobil)... Then zip over the dam and back via Mystery Creek... Can ride all day

Went to Gate 10 / Uni carpark when I was learning to drive a car years ago, not sure if it's still quiet but would imagine so. Gate 1 probably also quiet but as it is the entrance to the Halls and Rec centre, may be busier than Gate 10.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

If In Dunedin

I'm in Christchurch, but I deliver the occasional course in Dunedin.

The skating rink car park has a remote controlled car track marked out.

It's O for Orsum for practising slow speed skills. I arrived there one day with a group and there was a guy already there teaching his mate to ride. I watched him while I was continuing with my group, and basically it was the blind leading the blind.

I went over and spoke to the pair, and after a genial discussion about how orsum he was, the lad challenged me to a race around the remote controlled car course.

I was on my 1200RT, he was on an MT03.

Timed runs showed him that he wasn't as orsum as he thought he was, and how much difference technique made.

Get down to the car park and have a play in the remote controlled car course. Gold. It's about head and eyes in sharp corners, and use of the back brake.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

........ I arrived there one day with a group and there was a guy already there teaching his mate to ride. I watched him while I was continuing with my group, and basically it was the blind leading the blind.
    Yup, seen that a few times
    I had one girl go from Never ridden, to BHS Cert in the time it took a guy to get his GF to ride in a straight line... with feet still on the ground!
    Apparently she had ridden in the past too!

A good place up here is Massey Uni Car Park in Albany.
    Often there is one of us there to offer you tips if you are really struggling... usually we are on a course though, so time is precious.

Bike
    2007 Hyosung gt250r
    Any new additions or still valid places? This thread hasn't been updated in some time so not sure where I can go to get some practice in before I get out in the spaghetti of the world.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    good place to practice is mangere bridge --- do loops around the far end along Kiwi Esplanade and Ambury Road -- you will encounter hills / stops / speed bumps, one lanes, lots of cyclsts in the weekend though

then come stop by and have a drink and bbq and we can show you some basic maintenance of your bike if you'd like to learn

Thread Information