Thread: Anybody??

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki

Anybody??

If your/a/ok my,chain was to tight could it contribute to clutch failure/slippage.
    Just wondering cause my clutch is shot.For some unknown reason it became too tight around the same time it started to slip.
    A complete set of new clutch plates are on their way from the US now,due this friday.New chain and sprockets are also on the short list,but I was just thinking,maybe somebodys lack of attention lead to this problem in the first place.
    Anybody know anything about this??

Yamahamaman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    I'm innocent. I didn't do anything to it.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    If your/a/ok my,chain was to tight could it contribute to clutch failure/slippage.
    Just wondering cause my clutch is shot.For some unknown reason it became too tight around the same time it started to slip.
    A complete set of new clutch plates are on their way from the US now,due this friday.New chain and sprockets are also on the short list,but I was just thinking,maybe somebodys lack of attention lead to this problem in the first place.
    Hey Jackrat, I don't know anymore than you on this one but my drive belt had been tightened at the same time my clutch started slipping, as you know Pete reassembled the clutch ( as someone had done it wrong) and the problem seems to be resolved but I also loosened the belt a little, and I think I'll loosen it further still because it's squeaking now despite putting drylube on it, and it just seems a bit too tight for my liking, although Pete reckons it's ok. There's an uncanny similarity in our clutch problems and it happened to me as soon as the belt was tightened too!

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Definitely sounds possible that an overtight chain would create more resistance to the power flow, which could cause strain on the clutch.

Sounds like your clutch was on the way out anyway Jackrat. Tightening the chain too much seems to have alerted you to the problem before it was a real worry. Well spotted.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    To cause the clutch to slip, the load added by an overtight chain would have to be in the same league as a near locked back brake, ie the bike wouldn't move. Clutches slip because either the plates are worn, the springs don't have enough tension to hold the plates together tightly, or the operating mech (cable or hydraulics) is holding the plates partially disengaged.

I have seen the results of an overly tight chain (on a Ducati, as it happens) and the it was the output shaft bearings in the gearbox that died, but the clutch was fine.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403
    I have seen the results of an overly tight chain (on a Ducati, as it happens) and the it was the output shaft bearings in the gearbox that died, but the clutch was fine.
    Same thing happened on an ex-girl freinds pop top Katana 750.

Thread Information