Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is totally repugnant

Bike
    None

This is totally repugnant

Just this past week I supplied a set of front fork emulators to one of my service agents, for an SV650.

Part of the modification procedure when fitting emulators is to remove the internal damper rods and to overdrill the original damping holes ( and perhaps add more ) so that damping is no longer controlled in that way, the fitted emulator does so.

So the service agent removes the damper rods and hello, they are already overdrilled. The bike had been sold second hand to the unsuspecting rider, therefore the DROP KICK who owned it previously had removed the emulators to resell.

There is something real nasty in human nature that dictates where monetary gain over-rides other peoples safety. The damping control in standard SV forks is already woeful, to effectively make it several times worse ( by removing the emulators for resale ) is morally reprehensible and totally repugnant. And ignorance is no excuse

I hope this same guy doesnt work in the aircraft industry..........

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    It is indeed repugnant - however nothing surprises me anymore.

Expect the worst - it's probably already happened.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Just this past week I supplied a set of front fork emulators to one of my service agents, for an SV650.

Part of the modification procedure when fitting emulators is to remove the internal damper rods and to overdrill the original damping holes ( and perhaps add more ) so that damping is no longer controlled in that way, the fitted emulator does so.

So the service agent removes the damper rods and hello, they are already overdrilled. The bike had been sold second hand to the unsuspecting rider, therefore the DROP KICK who owned it previously had removed the emulators to resell.

There is something real nasty in human nature that dictates where monetary gain over-rides other peoples safety. The damping control in standard SV forks is already woeful, to effectively make it several times worse ( by removing the emulators for resale ) is morally reprehensible and totally repugnant. And ignorance is no excuse

it wasnt down in Christchurch was it?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    What value you talking for these things and do they fit other models? Like I'm wondering was there much point in what he did?

It reminds of many years ago in 1999 I tried my first and only Jap import vehicle a Suzuki 4x4 and typical of the day it had the Jap funny band radio - I bought the vehicle from a dealer as second Kiwi owner and dealer says get a band adjuster from Dick Smiths which I went and did. Too tight to buy a flash radio you see. Well I go to fit it and find the dork beforehand had just cut the wires and removed one already and what was it worth? $35 then, so why the frig did they bother. 3 months later that vehicle fried its cylinder head and I've never bothered with secondhand imports ever since and it reaffirmed my view to always buy new as I do with my bikes too.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    cbr crap

right. I know the guy who had it from new and he did nothing to it. The bike was in Wmcc for a short while before I got it. So if what you are saying is true, This bike was sold like this as new or it was done at WMCC. Either way, I would appreciate it if you could send me a report of yer findings and what the result could mean to someone riding the bike, so I can take this further.Thanx
    Don't you just love golf?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    right. I know the guy who had it from new and he did nothing to it. The bike was in Wmcc for a short while before I got it. So if what you are saying is true, This bike was sold like this as new or it was done at WMCC. Either way, I would appreciate it if you could send me a report of yer findings and what the result could mean to someone riding the bike, so I can take this further.Thanx
    PM me with your contact details, all forms.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    they do indeed work for differing industrys

they have just been prosicuted for selling glue to hold tiles on in tunnels Knowing full well that the glue peels after a while , cause it aint strong enough to hold the tiles on

this time it did kill someone

It will all come out in the wash ....of that I am sure

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Triple Delight
    We have just recently replaced both the front and rear suspension on Maha's Triumph. As a result we ended up with some useless/dangerously worn suspension parts, fork springs, spacers, a rear spring etc....... I took them to work and asked my boss if i could dump them in our skip. He said, no sell them on trade me, get some money back!

They are in the skip.

I struggle to believe that people can butcher up a repair that will endanger another persons life, and blithely on sell their handiwork with a grin and a handshake.

Shame on them!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    None
    Seems I pulled the pin on a pretty nasty hand grenade. Will reply to PMs in the morning and I get the feeling that there should be no more speculation and the truth sought offline. Fortunately no-one has been hurt but if the guilty party is now well aware of this folly....well lets just say this is an important message for everybody.

This is not a playstation game in the quiet and safe sanctuary of ones living room

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Whoever it was, apart from having no conscience, needs shooting with a ball of their own shit, for the criminal intent that has been displayed. I'm bloody pleased it isn't my life the guilty party has been playing with

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    After having Spectrum revalve and respring the forks of my VTR, I was given a box full of the old stuff by Spectrum. I did wonder what to do with it, but I ended up simply giving it to the next owner, along with the spare key, original cans, pillion pegs and magentic tank bag (the Blade's got a plastic tank).

Some people are drop kicks, and some people are downright bloody dangerous.

Bike
    1000cc Inline 4
    Seems I pulled the pin on a pretty nasty hand grenade. Will reply to PMs in the morning and I get the feeling that there should be no more speculation and the truth sought offline. Fortunately no-one has been hurt but if the guilty party is now well aware of this folly....well lets just say this is an important message for everybody.

This is not a playstation game in the quiet and safe sanctuary of ones living room
    Its probably quite overdue though!

I believe this practice is far more common that one would suspect. I have recently picked up a rider from the side of the road, actually saw him crash! He scuffed up a lot of gear and his new (second hand but new for him) XJ1300 but was OK, the front end tucked in on him on the exit of a corner, he wasn't going that fast. While a bit dazed he was adamant that the front end let him down, I offered to take a look but he said he had someplace else he wanted to take it, I left it at that and said goodbye when the car and trailer turned up.

He apparently had his forks rebuilt by that somebody else with a sizable invoice for seals and oil and a "check over" with no faults found but was still very concerned with the front end, so eventually turned up on my door. On inspection the forks did have new oil, didn't appear to have new fork seals but I will concede its hard to tell, I guess, benefit of doubt and all that......

When the forks were stripped the damper rods had been drilled for so as to allow for the fitting of emulators (not that nice a job of this work either), and it was obvious that some material had been removed from the spring spacers (cuts not square).

The net result of this modification without following through and fitting emulators (or removing them as is likely in this case) is that effectively all compression damping is removed. Thicker oil simply won't help at all once this has been done!

This particular model bike has one of the front ends most in need of help in the M/C industry, this type of thing makes it transform from marginal at best to downright lethal!

From what I understand to date (as you can imagine this one is going to go on and on for quite some time) it seems entirely probable / likely that this particular machine had its emulators fitted and then subsequently removed in Japan. That doesn't mean that this doesn't happen here!!!!

The poor owner that found he was a passenger on a bike with a mind of its own was the first NZ owner. He went back to the place of purchase twice asking them to check out the front end before the crash, as it (apparently) would bottom over man hole covers and got told "they are all like that" after the mechanic or sales man gave the front a bounce or two.......

The level of this type of thing (read incompetent to dangerous suspension work) is on the increase (as well as the failure to be ability to diagnose suspension faults or poor setups), maybe its the internet encouraging people to "have a go" at things they normally would not have a go at, maybe its people trying to save money in all the wrong places.

People are being injured, and loosing their lives because of poor workmanship, I have now twice been given forks off a pronged in NZ bike to rob for parts for one reason or another that have had serious faults that very easily could have contributed to or been the cause of an injury accident....

You only have one life, weight its value over saving a few bucks, and paying a fair price for a competent job........

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Well you started it!! Without naming names can you let us know what the result was please?
    It has come out of the woodwork that this bike was a write off as a result of a low side crash. It is very possible that the bike crashed because of the problem that I detailed. At some stage prior to or some stage after someone thought theyd score the emulators for resale.
    With the absolute certainty that the very drop kick who did it wont come forward one will never know.
    The fact it was raced reasonably successfully is a little misleading. The springs would have still held it up in its stroke after a fashion and heavier oil would have fudged it a little. But with all due respect in a full blown top level National F3 field it would be way off the pace due to the mechanical limitations.
    Speedie, thanks for the legal info, I wonder how often that act has been applied?
    Caveat emptor, it seems there are a hell of a lot of people out there with little concern for the safety of others. That is my point.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    What are the chances of this scenario.

When the bike was "Written off", the original forks were damaged. A second hand set were sourced, happening to have come off an ex race machine, the owner of which had fitted an upside down front, and stripped the emulators from the original forks to gain a little extra cash when selling bits?
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Robert you didn't answer my earlier question - what is the cost of the emulators? Just want an idea of what we are talking about here.
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information